January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes to sign £15m-rated Southampton forward Jay Rodriguez, 25, in the January transfer window. (Daily Telegraph)

I don't know how true that is but its rumoured... I've got my fingers crossed, he's a talented player that already plays the Poch way. Might also get him his brake into the England squad that was snatched away through injury.

What's your problem with people from Scotland showing an interest in Tottenham? Some kind of childish 'my club, not yours' shit going on here? Fucking hell, grow up, what right do you have to decide who merits being a Spurs fan or not, especially on geographic terms. Self righteous prick

RangersSpurs, an oxymoron don't you think...

Reading Gignac might be available. I know he had some problems a couple of years back but his form this season, and last 26 goals (10 in 10 this) suggest he might well have overcome those issues.

More mobile than Adebayor, and twice as strong - at least that is how I remember him.

Reading Gignac might be available. I know he had some problems a couple of years back but his form this season, and last 26 goals (10 in 10 this) suggest he might well have overcome those issues.

More mobile than Adebayor, and twice as strong - at least that is how I remember him.
And Gignac also seems to thrive under Bielsa, who's Poch's "teacher" so to say... and where is all this bs with us having no money coming from?

What the squad needs in the long run:
  • a healthy Kyle Walker and Danny Rose/Ben Davies continuing to improve. Fullback is still somewhat of a problem but there is ability in the squad to solve the problem.
  • a mobile center back. Fazio, Kaboul, and Dier, Vertonghen are all decent to good options but they would all benefit from a quick partner that we don't really have because though Chiriches is a match athletically he makes too many mistakes. Kaboul used to be incredible due to his mobility mixed with physicality but he's lost a lot of that athleticism. While he's still fast in a sprint, his side to side mobility has decreased drastically. It's why he keeps giving away penalties. Musaccio would have been a good addition this summer but another potential player for this role if he gets healthy is Hector Moreno. He may have very well been Pochettino's first option.
  • Another dynamic and versatile CM who can pass. Still think Schneiderlin would be helpful even with Mason really coming on, they could play together.
  • Another scary attacking midfield threat who is more direct than our current options and can dribble, create and do a variety of things to put the defense under pressure. Lamela still isn't quite there yet, too much dribbling backwards. Eriksen is much better utilized as a passer to feed this type of player. Chadli is a useful player but he'll never really be a dynamic attacking force. He's most valuable as a finisher and needs the other players around him to create for him. Nothing wrong with that as he's generally reliable and you know what you'll get but he'll just get better if he's surrounded by more talent as opposed to having to do it for himself. We need a player that plays in the mold of Hazard, Sterling, Robben, etc. Obviously getting that type of caliber player is nearly impossible but we need an attacker that the defense gravitates towards and it opens space for others. Hopefully, Lamela fills this role but he still can't beat a man at the moment.
  • One or two more strikers, obvious but we all know we need it.
Anyway, none of this really applies to what we need to do in the winter. I doubt we'll buy more than one immediate contributor but it is my take on what the squad needs. Also, I recognize that adding all of this successfully is going to be nearly impossible. It's a complete dream. But I think our squad is mostly full of quality bench players or borderline first teamers and we either need to really get lucky with some players development or bring in a fair few dynamic first team talents like we used to have in Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, healthy Sandro, healthy Parker, healthy King, healthy Kaboul. As of now, I think Walker and Eriksen are the only players who have really shown themselves to be undeniably first class options on their day. The rest of the squad is solid, but seem to lack the ability to find that next level. Basically, we could really use a influx of at least 2-3 players that can change games all over the pitch. Just realized I've omitted Lloris from this but that's because it goes without saying how good he is.

I've got to admit I'm feeling quite nostalgic about mid-table mediocrity - silver linings and all that.
Soon
levypeeking.gif

We should be out there trying to find another Berbatov.
Signing young stars at good prices with bags of potential ie. Modric and Bale.

Not signing overpriced, overrated, 25 year old English players. Haven't we learnt anything?
Destro is the name but likely to be out-priced

Mentioned a few other names earlier - all good shouts but Rodriguez on the cheap would be a great option, imv - can also play out wide

Destro is the name but likely to be out-priced

Mentioned a few other names earlier - all good shouts but Rodriguez on the cheap would be a great option, imv - can also play out wide

Out of curiousity, what is the reason for your belief in Destro. I haven't watched a huge amount of him so maybe you could fill in some holes. He doesn't look like a particularly well rounder striker to me. Not particularly large, not particularly fast, can't really dribble or take men on, not really a threat in the air. He's a great finisher and he scores a lot of poachers goals. IMO, that type of striker is not one that we've seen be an elite striker in the EPL in a while. Since Van Nistelrooy maybe?

Basically, he reminds me a bit of Soldado except obviously much younger. Don't get me wrong, the Soldado we've gotten is not the one we bought. He's been drastically low on confidence and the club has been not exactly stable or normal. But even if we got Soldado at somewhere close to his best I'm still not sure he would have ever justified his £26m price tag. You don't see many strikers who are limited in size, speed, and general athleticism succeed in the EPL.

Now I could be totally wrong on Destro and just seen a small sample size but for me he doesn't look like the real quality option we need.

For me, I'd rather go after either a real physical and skilled force up front who can clearly play as lone striker. I really wanted Benteke the summer of Soldado and though injuries have derailed him, I think a player with tat much size and athleticism and at pretty above average technical ability would perfect behind creative players like Lamela, Eriksen, Kane, Chadli and whoever else. A guy like healthy Benteke or Bony have proved they can score in so many different way and adapt to different playing styles. There's also no debate on if they can play as a lone striker.

The other feasible option is Berahino has the skill set of a bigger and more well-rounded Jermain Defoe. Obviously, there's lots of development that still needs to happen with him. But he's a good finisher, fast, and can take a man one on one. Also, like Jay Rodriguez you can put him out left.

Tbh, in the summer I think we're probably best moving on from both Soldado and Adebayor barring huge upticks in form. Adding an athletic option that can play out left and up top like Berahino or Rodriguez and a strong lone forward like Bony or Benteke would be great. Add that with the extremely versatile Harry Kane and I think we'd have a strike force capable of doing just about everything.

Out of curiousity, what is the reason for your belief in Destro. I haven't watched a huge amount of him so maybe you could fill in some holes. He doesn't look like a particularly well rounder striker to me. Not particularly large, not particularly fast, can't really dribble or take men on, not really a threat in the air. He's a great finisher and he scores a lot of poachers goals. IMO, that type of striker is not one that we've seen be an elite striker in the EPL in a while. Since Van Nistelrooy maybe?

Players like Owen, Cole, and more recently Aguero, have proven this to be a PL myth at best. If anything - I'd argue that's EXACTLY the type of player we need at the moment - someone to finally get at the end of chances and bang them in. We're painfully predictable in our attacking build-up, lack pace and width and offer no real penetration in the final third. No third-man running, no in-runs, fuck all. Tragic shit. I can't think of a single player in our 23-man squad who can score a goal as 'simple' as Aguero's first 2 weeks ago.

We need the kind of player who can take on defenders, turn his man and take a fucking shot. Hopefully Kane can continue developing (although we cannot rely on him alone as a Top 6 PL team) but someone like Destro (who is no push-over by the way - watch more game if you can - also look at Pjanic and Ljacic). He's carries what I consider one of the most important aspects for a striker and something we haven't been able to replace since Berbatov left - a football 'brain'. Matched with enviable skill-set and pace - makes it a no brainier for me. In 12-18 months he would be in the G-14 league and we would be completely out-priced, imv.

For me, I'd rather go after either a real physical and skilled force up front who can clearly play as lone striker. I really wanted Benteke the summer of Soldado and though injuries have derailed him, I think a player with tat much size and athleticism and at pretty above average technical ability would perfect behind creative players like Lamela, Eriksen, Kane, Chadli and whoever else. A guy like healthy Benteke or Bony have proved they can score in so many different way and adapt to different playing styles. There's also no debate on if they can play as a lone striker.

I'm sure when we signed Berbatov many would have thought he's hardly the epitomy of hard work and physicality. Same goes for Modric, etc.

Dortmund took a punt on Immobile (should have been us!) and it's going to pay off, same with Aubameyang. I'm afraid Benteke would command a premium due to his PL association - we need to look in Germany or Italy, imv - possibly even Argentina (great few names coming up) as well as that youngster at AS Monaco (unlikely)

I would however take Berahino for a good fee - same for Bony (under 14m)

Last edited:
Dortmund took a punt on Immobile (should have been us!) and it's going to pay off, same with Aubameyang. I'm afraid Benteke would command a premium due to his PL association - we need to look in Germany or Italy, imv - possibly even Argentina (great few names coming up) as well as that youngster at AS Monaco (unlikely)

I would however take Berahino for a good fee - same for Bony (under 14m)
I'm telling you, Duje Cop is worth a punt

Well I could tell you my personal experience but when arguing something generally better to use other sources..unfortunately there's hasn't been a academic article published on spurs links to Aberdeen primarily but also to rangers..
If I find one I'll be sure to link it.

This is a transfer thread. Take your boring bollocks elsewhere

Maybe Poch should look towards Iker Muniain. He's used to the pressing game from playing for Athletic Bilbao and he's young enough to adapt?

He also doesn't seem to be in high demand so might not cost too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom