January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players like Owen, Cole, and more recently Aguero, have proven this to be a PL myth at best. If anything - I'd argue that's EXACTLY the type of player we need at the moment - someone to finally get at the end of chances and bang them in. We're painfully predictable in our attacking build-up, lack pace and width and offer no real penetration in the final third. No third-man running, no in-runs, fuck all. Tragic shit. I can't think of a single player in our 23-man squad who can score a goal as 'simple' as Aguero's first 2 weeks ago.

We need the kind of player who can take on defenders, turn his man and take a fucking shot. Hopefully Kane can continue developing (although we cannot rely on him alone as a Top 6 PL team) but someone like Destro (who is no push-over by the way - watch more game if you can - also look at Pjanic and Ljacic). He's carries what I consider one of the most important aspects for a striker and something we haven't been able to replace since Berbatov left - a football 'brain'. Matched with enviable skill-set and pace - makes it a no brainier for me. In 12-18 months he would be in the G-14 league and we would be completely out-priced, imv.

I'm sure when we signed Berbatov many would have thought he's hardly the epitomy of hard work and physicality. Same goes for Modric, etc.

Dortmund took a punt on Immobile (should have been us!) and it's going to pay off, same with Aubameyang. I'm afraid Benteke would command a premium due to his PL association - we need to look in Germany or Italy, imv - possibly even Argentina (great few names coming up) as well as that youngster at AS Monaco (unlikely)

I would however take Berahino for a good fee - same for Bony (under 14m)

I agree exactly with your first paragraph. If you're not going to be a physical striker, you need to be one who is quick, crafty, and can take a man one on one like Aguero, Owen, or even Defoe. I see Berahino as that type of player as well but worry that Destro isn't as I haven't seen him do that much when I've seen him but as I stated my knowledge on him is far from complete.

Benteke, Bony, and Berahino will be far from cheap but wasn't Destro being quoted at 20m asking price this summer. I bet we could get all those guys for close or less. Strikers are absurdly expensive nowadays. At some point if ENIC has any ambition left we just have to stop trying to take short cuts.

I hope they don't be scared off my the failure of Soldado. Buying a player with Soldado's career profile was the right process of thought they just failed in that he didn't suit our style of play. The process was right though and process>result when running a football team.

I agree exactly with your first paragraph. If you're not going to be a physical striker, you need to be one who is quick, crafty, and can take a man one on one like Aguero, Owen, or even Defoe. I see Berahino as that type of player as well but worry that Destro isn't as I haven't seen him do that much when I've seen him but as I stated my knowledge on him is far from complete.

Benteke, Bony, and Berahino will be far from cheap but wasn't Destro being quoted at 20m asking price this summer. I bet we could get all those guys for close or less. Strikers are absurdly expensive nowadays. At some point if ENIC has any ambition left we just have to stop trying to take short cuts.

I hope they don't be scared off my the failure of Soldado. Buying a player with Soldado's career profile was the right process of thought they just failed in that he didn't suit our style of play. The process was right though and process>result when running a football team.
The difference with Soldado and the likes of Benteke, Bony, and Berahino is that they've played and scored in the Prem. I would love any of the three if I'm honest but I feel that Berahino would struggle for us and could just be wasted English talent if he joined.

I'd rather Benteke or Bony due to the fact that they can score goals but also hold up the play and intimidate defenders.

A pre-injury Benteke would be exactly what we need up front, hopefully the striker issue is addressed because it is very much a problem for us at the moment.

The difference with Soldado and the likes of Benteke, Bony, and Berahino is that they've played and scored in the Prem. I would love any of the three if I'm honest but I feel that Berahino would struggle for us and could just be wasted English talent if he joined.

I'd rather Benteke or Bony due to the fact that they can score goals but also hold up the play and intimidate defenders.

I think the perfect mix is to get rid of Adebayor and Soldado then bring in Berahino and one of Bony or Benteke. Combine Kane to that mix and I think you have a strike force that can do it all.

I'd love to see Dzeko in a Spurs shirt. The bloke works his arse off, is a great target man, but has excellent feet and a superb finish on him. If he falls out of favour again, we'd be able to pick him up for a similar price to Bony.

Benteke is a no-no for me until he shows he can regain his pre-injury form.

Destro would be a great signing - anywhere between £15m-£20m I'd guess. Would possibly take Soldado in a swap + cash.

Jackson Martinez is another one who'd do a job for us up front. So powerful and fast, with a quality finish.

I'd love to see us sign a real leader at the back to partner Fazio, allowing Verts to move as he clearly wants to. There's some excellent CB's in Germany where prices are always much lower.
Ogbonna is also struggling to break through at Juve (no surprise given the quality of their defenders) and he'd be an excellent addition.

Don't get all the Destro love. He's another guy who rely's on service. Let's face it, if you're a Spurs striker, you're not getting service.

Besides guys who can actually put a good cross in, I think we're really missing some speed. We have to be one of the slowest teams in the premier league. Townsend, Lennon, and Rose are all fast, but the problem is they're not good football players.

Townsend, Lennon, and Rose are all fast, but the problem is they're not good football players.
Yes they are, just because you don't like them or there not in form doesn't mean there not good footballers they are professional and playing in the EPL because they have good footballing ability. I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo but that doesn't mean he's not a good footballer.

Think we all agree the biggest weakness in this squad is it has no personality or bite. We can bring up Holtby all we like but at the end of the day he just isn't that good. We need to bring in some character to this Jol-esque soft squad. We've seen Sandro, Parker, VDV, Keane & King all leave that dressing room and while their footballing talents were on the down they brought more than just that to the locker room and it hasn't been replaced at all!

Some may mention the leadership and fight that is talked about from Stambouli and Fazio. These are new guys to England can't expect it from them.

Yes they are, just because you don't like them or there not in form doesn't mean there not good footballers they are professional and playing in the EPL because they have good footballing ability. I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo but that doesn't mean he's not a good footballer.

Oh c'mon on. Don't make it seem like it's personal. I can't believe you're bringing up Ronaldo when talking about Rose, Lennon, and Townsend. Ronaldo, besides being a top 3 player in the world, actually produces.

In all of our competitions this season, Lennon, Townsend, and Rose have combined for 2 assists. Yes it should be very hard to replace that production.

Oh c'mon on. Don't make it seem like it's personal. I can't believe you're bringing up Ronaldo when talking about Rose, Lennon, and Townsend. Ronaldo, besides being a top 3 player in the world, actually produces.

In all of our competitions this season, Lennon, Townsend, and Rose have combined for 2 assists. Yes it should be very hard to replace that production.
No it is personal saying there not good footballers when they clearly are or would be stacking shelves at Asda or something along those lines, yes I brought Ronaldo up but I didn't compare abilities so there shouldn't be a problem, this isn't a personal attack on you but it fucks me off when people say a footballer is shit or they have no ability because they clearly do

No it is personal saying there not good footballers when they clearly are or would be stacking shelves at Asda or something along those lines, yes I brought Ronaldo up but I didn't compare abilities so there shouldn't be a problem, this isn't a personal attack on you but it fucks me off when people say a footballer is shit or they have no ability because they clearly do

Ok, well you and I clearly have different definitions of "good footballers."

Don't get all the Destro love. He's another guy who rely's on service. Let's face it, if you're a Spurs striker, you're not getting service.

Besides guys who can actually put a good cross in, I think we're really missing some speed. We have to be one of the slowest teams in the premier league. Townsend, Lennon, and Rose are all fast, but the problem is they're not good football players.
Well the Daily Mail recently published, via EA Sports, that Jagielka has been the fastest player this season, so everything I thought I knew about pace and the speed of players has gone out the fucking window!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...test-player-Premier-League-no-not-joking.html

We should sign some players that are not shit.
Inspired, as always! :kaboullol:

I'd love you to be our manager. The honesty and sarcasm...:paulinholol:

We could install a rail track from the dressing room so he could wheel his way out to the dugout.

showeringw.jpg

I'd love to see Dzeko in a Spurs shirt. The bloke works his arse off, is a great target man, but has excellent feet and a superb finish on him. If he falls out of favour again, we'd be able to pick him up for a similar price to Bony.

Benteke is a no-no for me until he shows he can regain his pre-injury form.

Destro would be a great signing - anywhere between £15m-£20m I'd guess. Would possibly take Soldado in a swap + cash.

Jackson Martinez is another one who'd do a job for us up front. So powerful and fast, with a quality finish.

I'd love to see us sign a real leader at the back to partner Fazio, allowing Verts to move as he clearly wants to. There's some excellent CB's in Germany where prices are always much lower.
Ogbonna is also struggling to break through at Juve (no surprise given the quality of their defenders) and he'd be an excellent addition.
Dzeko though :dude: I am all for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom