January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Holtby is a starter at 22 for a German champions league team that we can get for free. What is not to like? He's also a number 10 for Schalke not deep lying.

Here's the report of Schalke's game against Woolwich where he assisted Huntelaars goal and was described as "excellent". If he is excellent against the scum, that is enough for me I'm sold.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/06/champions-league-schalke-Woolwich-live

In link change woolwich to the a-word

I see what you're saying, but we just picked him up this summer and sigs hasn't really gotten a fair shake yet. He's still developing as a player...

We finally started getting rid of the excess weight, don't want to start piling them up again already.

To take it to ridiculous extremes: if Messi is available and affordable - should we turn down the opportunity because it will mean we have to get rid of Adebayor or Defoe?......

Let Sigurdsson prove his worth.

Disagree. We could sign him. We've got money, and Willian has batted his eyes at us in the media. But Levy doesn't like to spend like Chelsea, and I have no problem with that. If we've got a valuation of Willian, and they want 10m more (purely for example), then the deal is off.
I could have seen it before, but especially after he helped shred Chelsea over two legs I don't think Shaktar will let us lowball them without bringing Chelsea or someone else in to spark a bidding war. Even without other bidders, they're not really inclined to sell, they're still in the CL, Willian doesn't seem inclined to pull a pouty Modric... so they're kind of holding all the cards.

I could see Levy being reluctantly dragged kicking and screaming into paying a premium for Moutinho because of the unique factors at play: his history with AVB, the particular crucial value of a quality, high-energy playmaking CM, the odd lack of other serious bidders. And of course even that didn't ultimately go through. With none of those factors in play for Willian, and with cheaper options like Holtby available... it would go against everything we know about Levy, really.

Also Holtby has Levy written all over it. As much as we joke about him not wanting to spend, the reality is he LOVES to spend when he thinks he is getting a good deal.

Why is everybody so worried about Siggy getting his time? Guys, We're in three competitions as of right now. The fixture list is going to be jam packed later in the season and everybody is going to get some time. Also, Holtby probably isn't coming until the summer if we get him. All good teams have competition for spots and lots of depth. Right now, our depth isn't the greatest so signing Holtby will provide a massive boost to that whether it be in the summer or now.

*up one post- striker comment*

Probably because players typically come at a premium in Jan. and we already have 2 1/2 veteran players that can play the position and they aren't going to turn 30 between now and Jan. 31. The goal is probably do whats necessary to strengthen the squad on a "smart" budget and tinker heavily/ allow AVB to build in the summer...............

.......................................which will be made more interesting if we fail to place top 4.

*up one post- striker comment*

Probably because players typically come at a premium in Jan. and we already have 2 1/2 veteran players that can play the position and they aren't going to turn 30 between now and Jan. 31. The goal is probably do whats necessary to strengthen the squad on a "smart" budget and tinker heavily/ allow AVB to build in the summer...............

.......................................which will be made more interesting if we fail to place top 4.

Unless they're Brazilian and their stock has fallen since the Olympics....and their club didn't qualify for the Copa Libertadores.

...just saying ;)

If memory serves me correctly, that person said that he would probably adapt well to a deep-lying role, that he's an AM but that he plays a bit deeper than most and doesn't really go for goal that often.

Exactly that. I think if we've signed him for next season then we'll be a lot more versatile than we already are. This can only be good news and I can see us keeping both Holtby and Sigurdsson next season, as they can play similar roles on the pitch and could perhaps even play alongside each other in the absence of Dembele (and/or Moutinho).

http://www.sport1.de/de/fussball/fussball_bundesliga/artikel_656139.html

Basically saying that's he's offski end of t'season

Aber du hast das schön gewüst,oder?

Old news gents! Bild has us sending a secret desert delegation to sign the man up:

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/l...en-ueber-4-mio-euro-gehalt-27946702.bild.html

Lets bear in mind Modric caught our eye as an attacking midfielder who could play on the wings. I can see the same happening with Holtby. He definitely has the skillset.

But Bild is a bit of a Daily Sport type paper tbh. Still it's all looking like he's coming in the Summer which is good news....... Unless hes Bales replacement :-O

Nope...with the cash Bale would bring in, it would be someone equally impressive or the strong likelihood of equal or greater potential. Holtby is a AM with a diverse set of skills/roles and would add considerable depth to the already existing squad.

Nope...with the cash Bale would bring in, it would be someone equally impressive or the strong likelihood of equal or greater potential. Holtby is a AM with a diverse set of skills/roles and would add considerable depth to the already existing squad.

This, sensible addition to the squad (a player who, unlike mouts, won't require a starting position), good prospect for the future and a good price.

In fact, can someone tell me whats all the hype surrounding willian about? Statistically he seems no better than holtby, just older, So I'm finding it a bit odd how one or two people on other forums seem to view getting holtby on the cheap as a bad signing but view spending as much as 20 million on willian would be a good signing.

Back
Top Bottom