January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I though someone said that Holtby was a deep lying playmaker.

From ESPNFC:

Lewis Holtby
With an English father from Liverpool, the facts that Holtby grew up in and is registered (via his mother's nationality) to play for Germany were never really going to stand in the way of him eventually moving to the Premier League. He has openly stated his dream to play for Everton one day, and he has been heavily linked with a move to the Toffees as well as Spurs and Liverpool in recent weeks.

Holtby plays an attacking midfield role for Schalke and has been one of their more impressive performers in what has been a mixed season so far for his side, leading their charts for league assists with five, whilst only Huntelaar and Farfan have scored more goals than Holtby's three. A pass success rate of 80.8% is far from remarkable, but it does more to highlight the ambition of his play. He aims to take a game by the scruff of the neck from his preferred advanced playmaker position and drive his team forwards. Only Wolfsburg's Diego (nine) has completed more accurate through balls than Holtby (seven) in the Bundesliga this season, and his creativity is the main reason that he is so sought after.

He is, however, versatile in that he spent much of last season in a deep-lying playmaker position, whilst also featuring on both flanks on occasion. The range of positions he can occupy would be hugely beneficial to any of the teams he has been linked with and if he does realise his ambitions of playing in the English top flight, he would certainly add to the quality in the league.

If memory serves me correctly, that person said that he would probably adapt well to a deep-lying role, that he's an AM but that he plays a bit deeper than most and doesn't really go for goal that often.

I think this latest ITK-story resembles the one from last summer (Gylfi medical). Creating such an elaborate lie with connecting flights (the Schalke squad was actually travelling today) seems exhausting for the usually very lazy "wums" out there.
I wish it were at that level -- the Siggy doctor ITK remains my favorite ITK of all time: it came out of nowhere, it flew in the face of all the paper gossip about rejoining Rodgers at Liverpool, it was a one-shot deal, and ended up being 100% accurate.

From ESPNFC:

Lewis Holtby
With an English father from Liverpool, the facts that Holtby grew up in and is registered (via his mother's nationality) to play for Germany were never really going to stand in the way of him eventually moving to the Premier League. He has openly stated his dream to play for Everton one day, and he has been heavily linked with a move to the Toffees as well as Spurs and Liverpool in recent weeks.

Holtby plays an attacking midfield role for Schalke and has been one of their more impressive performers in what has been a mixed season so far for his side, leading their charts for league assists with five, whilst only Huntelaar and Farfan have scored more goals than Holtby's three. A pass success rate of 80.8% is far from remarkable, but it does more to highlight the ambition of his play. He aims to take a game by the scruff of the neck from his preferred advanced playmaker position and drive his team forwards. Only Wolfsburg's Diego (nine) has completed more accurate through balls than Holtby (seven) in the Bundesliga this season, and his creativity is the main reason that he is so sought after.

He is, however, versatile in that he spent much of last season in a deep-lying playmaker position, whilst also featuring on both flanks on occasion. The range of positions he can occupy would be hugely beneficial to any of the teams he has been linked with and if he does realise his ambitions of playing in the English top flight, he would certainly add to the quality in the league.

Thanks for that.

Off Topic, but saw this today ... Love it!

3838428+_8a8f341eb0856393043d80582b37c563.gif

Nothing wrong with that. A good player bought for nothing doesn't upset me too much. Certainly if he doesn't measure up we won't be kicking ourselves a la Bentley.

I don't mind either, just in response to those wondering how he fits in. Also I think Willian's profile has become a little too high recently for us to sign him.

Strangely Damiao's stock seems to have dropped recently, making signing him more likely than ever, especially based on what Tim Vickery was saying recently about Internacional's wage bill and failure to qualify for Copa Libertadores.

I don't mind either, just in response to those wondering how he fits in. Also I think Willian's profile has become a little too high recently for us to sign him.
Disagree. We could sign him. We've got money, and Willian has batted his eyes at us in the media. But Levy doesn't like to spend like Chelsea, and I have no problem with that. If we've got a valuation of Willian, and they want 10m more (purely for example), then the deal is off.

We really need to get away from this perpetual fear of what a signing means for another player at the club...........if Holtby replaces Sigurdsson it's because he's a better player, the only way we can improve is to constantly upgrade..........there was no sentiment shown from Campbell, Berbatov, Modric, etc

I see what you're saying, but we just picked him up this summer and sigs hasn't really gotten a fair shake yet. He's still developing as a player...

We finally started getting rid of the excess weight, don't want to start piling them up again already.

Back
Top Bottom