Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1. Vertonghen doesn't smile. Period. The man was in the World Cup and playing well and still seemed pissed

2. Amend his contract so that he doesn't have to play lb. that'll keep him from leaving

Jan Vertonghen when he came to us we loved him. He played well, then he got the sulks - why ? Bale left him ? Did no get on with AVB and clearly not Sherwood. He did not like playing LB but played LB for Belgium with good reviews.
If he still has the sulks after Llloris signing on, Stadium announcement and a chat with Poch and then still wants to leave then fine move on.
There are not many quality CB's that we can sign but yeah we must take the money and move on.

Dear Mr Vert,
You signed up, so man up! You bought into what we was selling, just like Hugo. Agree, it did not work out the way we all wanted it to. But that was then and this is now! Take the lead from a proper bloke and take on the challenge of making THFC a force to be reckoned with.

You seem to think that I decide who to sell.

I wish I did but I don't.
I suffer under no delusion as to who is responsible for transfer decisions. However, I do appreciate that - unlike you - Levy enjoys not just the upside potential of being correct in transfer decisions, but also the downside risk of being incorrect.

Which is to say that your position is awfully convenient. "Jan would rather play for Barca so cut the fucker loose" is your decision, but then if our defense is shambles again next season and it looks like a bad decision in hindsight "oh, well I don't decide who to sell. I wish I did..."

Quite frankly, your position is embarrassing. Even King was so honest to admit that if he had stayed healthy it's doubtful that he would have stayed at Spurs for his entire career.

In fact, your post strikes me as something that could appear on RAWK Meltdown, a la:

I often thank the fucking stars that melts like you aren't in control of transfer decisions.

Dear Mr Vert,
You signed up, so man up! You bought into what we was selling, just like Hugo. Agree, it did not work out the way we all wanted it to. But that was then and this is now! Take the lead from a proper bloke and take on the challenge of making THFC a force to be reckoned with.
Don't mean to be a dick or anything about it, but are you ESL?

Which is to say that your position is awfully convenient. "Jan would rather play for Barca so cut the fucker loose" is your decision, but then if our defense is shambles again next season and it looks like a bad decision in hindsight "oh, well I don't decide who to sell. I wish I did..."

Our defence was a shambles with Vertonghen in it last season.

If he wants to stay, he will apply himself and will have a great player......if he doesnt want to be here and is forced to stay, we all know what a big pile of shit we will have on our hands.

If he wants to stay, he will apply himself and will have a great player......if he doesnt want to be here and is forced to stay, we all know what a big pile of shit we will have on our hands.
He applied himself the year before last and was one of the top CB in the league: There is no reason why he cannot repeat this and with the captain Hugo leading the charge, the sky's the limit.

He has clearly learned nothing from Hugo who will end up at a huge club after next year due to him showing commitment and professionalism, despite having no defence most of last season. Jan needs to man up he is in a dreamworld if he thinks he is showing top club potential, Kompany paid his dues too, why not watch and learn from him? he has all the skill under the sun as shown in first season now man up and play a part in a successful spurs season. Even Dawson took some abuse at times for mistakes that were Vertonghens

Heres hoping he has matured a little, having it your own way at Ajax is not reality

He has clearly learned nothing from Hugo who will end up at a huge club after next year due to him showing commitment and professionalism, despite having no defence most of last season. Jan needs to man up he is in a dreamworld if he thinks he is showing top club potential, Kompany paid his dues too, why not watch and learn from him? he has all the skill under the sun as shown in first season now man up and play a part in a successful spurs season. Even Dawson took some abuse at times for mistakes that were Vertonghens

Heres hoping he has matured a little, having it your own way at Ajax is not reality

ehhh i think thats a little off as I certainly believe Barca is genuinly interested in getting Vertonghen. He might not have performed to expectations last year, but the football world knows how good he is and what kind of talent he is. I don't doubt for a second a team like Barca would go after him. Whether he decides to stay or go is a different story. He should feel a need to succeed here first. But so should of Bale and Modric. When a team like Barca or RM comes knocking, you generally don't question your own ability. You generally say sell me please.

I suffer under no delusion as to who is responsible for transfer decisions. However, I do appreciate that - unlike you - Levy enjoys not just the upside potential of being correct in transfer decisions, but also the downside risk of being incorrect.

Quite frankly, your position is embarrassing. Even King was so honest to admit that if he had stayed healthy it's doubtful that he would have stayed at Spurs for his entire career.

In fact, your post strikes me as something that could appear on RAWK Meltdown, a la:

I often thank the fucking stars that melts like you aren't in control of transfer decisions.

What a strange over-reaction to my relatively straightforward post.

These days, there's very little mileage in forcing players to stay when their heads have been turned. You can then end up with a reluctant seeing out of the contract and they leave on a free.

My point is if Jan doesn't want to stay and we get a decent price, let him go. And that is pretty much our transfer policy at Tottenham.

To be clear - if Pochettino can convince him to stay and be part of shaping our future, playing for the shirt, I'd love Jan to stay.

If that makes me a melt, then so be it.

ehhh i think thats a little off as I certainly believe Barca is genuinly interested in getting Vertonghen. He might not have performed to expectations last year, but the football world knows how good he is and what kind of talent he is. I don't doubt for a second a team like Barca would go after him. Whether he decides to stay or go is a different story. He should feel a need to succeed here first. But so should of Bale and Modric. When a team like Barca or RM comes knocking, you generally don't question your own ability. You generally say sell me please.

Well Barca have gone loopy trying to replace their glory side, Neymar will get beaten up and Suarez will lose his temper in feisty Spain! No doubt vertonghen a great player that's why we are all upset in first place, like Ade I wish you could hang your hat on their temperament

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Jan reminds of a few lads I played with over the years, talented and vocal, he seems to be vocal at the wrong time though, berating others when he should be trying to lift them and that type of thing, clearly wants to win and doesn't suffer fools but when you aren't playing so great yourself at times you don't earn the right to scowl, moan and be a moody cunt when someone else isn't a 100% also.
I thought his darker side came out when he's had to play LB only but now it seems its here to stay, that smile and calm smugness he had in his first season is all but gone, I thought it was just us but he was just the same for Belgium.
I never really worked out wether players like him were good or bad for the teams I played in all I know is when I played on a Saturday afternoon I could handle them, a Sunday morning with a minging hangover however was a different fucking matter!

:mong:

Jan reminds of a few lads I played with over the years, talented and vocal, he seems to be vocal at the wrong time though, berating others when he should be trying to lift them and that type of thing, clearly wants to win and doesn't suffer fools but when you aren't playing so great yourself at times you don't earn the right to scowl, moan and be a moody cunt when someone else isn't a 100% also.
I thought his darker side came out when he's had to play LB only but now it seems its here to stay, that smile and calm smugness he had in his first season is all but gone, I thought it was just us but he was just the same for Belgium.
I never really worked out wether players like him were good or bad for the teams I played in all I know is when I played on a Saturday afternoon I could handle them, a Sunday morning with a minging hangover however was a different fucking matter!

:mong:

Jesus this is getting more ridiculous by the minute... First he doesn't smile enough, then he doesn't try hard enough and now he berates our other players all the time.

All of these conclusions have been drawn in the time where we've had no matches played.

I'm not sure I can see Vertonghen going anywhere tbh. Here's the facts as I see it:

1) We have Levy. Levy will value Vertonghen at £30m minimum, no question, and it's a snip compared to Luiz.
2) Clubs don't like buying from spurs because of Levy, as above.
3) Barca had to sell Sanchez to justify/afford (probably the former) buying Suarez. That left then around £30-£40m out of pocket, too. Can they really afford to spend that much on Vertonghen who, while he had a good WC, isn't at his peak form in general.

The problem is if Vertonghen wants to leave and Levy holds out on the best deal for the club, if we retain him then what player will we be keeping?

He didn't seem too happy under either manager, so it'd be a lot of pressure on Pochettino to keep him on form and in good spirits. If we start the season strongly, this might not be an issue, but if we start poorly then it could turn out quite sour - especially if the window is still open at that point.

Jesus this is getting more ridiculous by the minute... First he doesn't smile enough, then he doesn't try hard enough and now he berates our other players all the time.

All of these conclusions have been drawn in the time where we've had no matches played.

You obviously not watched the World Cup then.

I really rate Jan as a player his quality is not in question I merely stated that his attitude seems to have changed since he's been at the club. Don't think think its a ridiculous point to make. I didn't say we should sell him, look at what I said, I never worked out wether that attitude is good or bad for a team. We may need a character like that, we may not, I didn't conclude anything. I think I'm well within the context of this forum to talk about a player and review what I think of what he brings to club.

Anyway I've stopped crying now so I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!

:pochsulk:

I'm not sure I can see Vertonghen going anywhere tbh. Here's the facts as I see it:

1) We have Levy. Levy will value Vertonghen at £30m minimum, no question, and it's a snip compared to Luiz.
2) Clubs don't like buying from spurs because of Levy, as above.
3) Barca had to sell Sanchez to justify/afford (probably the former) buying Suarez. That left then around £30-£40m out of pocket, too. Can they really afford to spend that much on Vertonghen who, while he had a good WC, isn't at his peak form in general.

The problem is if Vertonghen wants to leave and Levy holds out on the best deal for the club, if we retain him then what player will we be keeping?

He didn't seem too happy under either manager, so it'd be a lot of pressure on Pochettino to keep him on form and in good spirits. If we start the season strongly, this might not be an issue, but if we start poorly then it could turn out quite sour - especially if the window is still open at that point.
They also sold Fabregas for a decent amount of money too.
If Barca want Verts, they'll go for him, but it's up to us (Levy/Poch) to convince Verts otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom