Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've nothing to worry about until their players/staff start dropping his name in press conferences. Barcelona and Madrid are pretty classless when it comes to this stuff.

If he wants to go, then let him - I'd rather have a player that wants to play for us. As long as we get a shed load of readies for him, he can eff off!

The problem is they all want to go eventually , if there any good.
The problem is the Spurs hierarchy, they do not match the best players
long term ambitions and in Verts case Spurs is a stepping stone. Lloris will
be off in year if a good offer comes in. They have no loyalty and the club
has no loyalty to them or us.
A vicious circle of disappointment .

I Agree, BUT!! If Poch, with our current (great potential) squad, plus a couple of additions this Summer, can make us serious top 4 challengers, or serious favourites to win The EC. All with a bit of flare and class. Then with the clubs current set-up at THFC, training facilities, new ground underway and being a London based club. There is little reason imo, especially with the new FFP. Why any player, would be in a hurry to leave.

Of course, wages. But with the above success, comes financial rewards for all.

I Agree, BUT!! If Poch, with our current (great potential) squad, plus a couple of additions this Summer, can make us serious top 4 challengers, or serious favourites to win The EC. All with a bit of flare and class. Then with the clubs current set-up at THFC, training facilities, new ground underway and being a London based club. There is little reason imo, especially with the new FFP. Why any player, would be in a hurry to leave.

Of course, wages. But with the above success, comes financial rewards for all.
I understand, but many of those factors at the moment are unattainable.
Players are looking at the short term , many outside our club would have little confidence
that we could get 2/3 players that would make that difference as we have no net spend, low
wage structure, sell stars, so serous top 4 challengers is highly unlikely.
The stadium if ever built is looking around 3 to 6 years away , a lifetime in a players
career . I don't think we are attractive enough and FFP can easily be fiddled .
At best in the near future we hopefully look forward to some attractive football .

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...et-to-miss-out-on-trio-unless-15m-pair-leave/
Tottenham Hotspur's transfer plans have reportedly stalled because Michael Dawson and Gylfi Sigurdsson are not willing to leave the club this summer.

Mauricio Pochettino is believed to have been told that no new signings will be made until a couple of players leave the club, but Michael Dawson and Gylfi Sigurdsson are both refusing to head out of White Hart Lane,according to The Mirror.

Players only have loyalty to us if it benefits them.
Dawson has given his best but not good enough any more, Siggy 1 OK games in 20.
This is not loyalty this is self interest . If Liverpool came in today for siggy he
would be off like a shot, I am sure they are pleased they never bought him in the first place.

“Jeremy Mathieu is increasingly closer to Barcelona – The French player, who does not suffer any injury, missed training on Sunday with the rest of his teammates, so it seems that his move to Barca will soon be a reality,”

Was much rumoured Jan would only be targeted if they failed to land this guy.

Tottenham will staunchly resist any offers for defender Jan Vertonghen this summer, Sky Sports understands.

The 27-year-old centre-half has four years left on his current contract and Spurs have no intention of selling the Belgium international.

Vertonghen's future at White Hart Lane has been questioned following recent comments made by his agent, Mustapha Nakhli, in which he claimed a host of European clubs were interested in the player.

Nakhli also fuelled speculation by refusing to confirm or deny whether Barcelona, who are searching for a central defender following the retirement of Carles Puyol, are one of those interested clubs.

But Sky sources understand Spurs have not received any contact from the Catalan giants about Vertonghen, nor any other club for that matter, and are unconcerned by Nakhli's comments.

Vertonghen is believed to be a fundamental part of new head coach Mauricio Pochettino's plans for the forthcoming season and, as recently as May, Vertonghen insisted he would not be seeking a move away from the north London club this summer.

"I've got more years left at Tottenham and I'm happy,” he said following Tim Sherwood's sacking at the end of last season.

“I want to stay so it doesn't matter who the manager will be. The chairman will make a good decision."

The versatile defender, who signed on a six-year-deal from Ajax in 2012, will have been further encouraged by team-mate Hugo Lloris committing his long-term future to Tottenham, signing a new five-year-deal earlier this month.

Vertonghen, who has played 82 times for Spurs, is not expected to travel on the club's tour to the USA next week, however, and neither are any of Tottenham's representatives at the World Cup including Belgium team-mates Mousa Dembele and Nacer Chadli, Brazil's Paulinho and Nabil Bentaleb of Algeria.

Vertonghen impressed in Brazil as Belgium made the quarter-finals, where they were knocked out by Argentina, taking his caps for the country to 62.

Jan Vertonghen has revealed he wants to stay at Tottenham Hotspur and has been offered a new five year contract.

"It goes without saying that I would like to stay at Tottenham Hotspur. I still had a contract for four years. They offered me new contract of five years, I see as great sign of confidence. I walked in the World Cup match against Argentina on an ankle injury. I want to be careful, because season like previous one where I jogged from one injury to another I absolutely want to avoid."

Jan Vertonghen has revealed he wants to stay at Tottenham Hotspur and has been offered a new five year contract.

"It goes without saying that I would like to stay at Tottenham Hotspur. I still had a contract for four years. They offered me new contract of five years, I see as great sign of confidence. I walked in the World Cup match against Argentina on an ankle injury. I want to be careful, because season like previous one where I jogged from one injury to another I absolutely want to avoid."
Hope he means it! After the shenanigans last season, I was resigned to him leaving, but we desperately need a class centre half, and I can't see us buying one who is as good as him, when he is fit.

Hope he means it! After the shenanigans last season, I was resigned to him leaving, but we desperately need a class centre half, and I can't see us buying one who is as good as him, when he is fit.

It does sound like he was playing while carrying injuries. Underlines why we should have enough cover at both LB and CB.

Back
Top Bottom