Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he engineers a move to La Liga from Spurs 'cos "We don't match my ambition" of playing CL football year-in-year-out, then he won't be the first!

Last edited:
They also sold Fabregas for a decent amount of money too.
If Barca want Verts, they'll go for him, but it's up to us (Levy/Poch) to convince Verts otherwise.

Definitely, I don't doubt they'll try - I'm just not sure they'll pay anywhere near what Levy will want for him.

this may not be a popular opinion but i think vertonghen is just a tad overrated by many, especially on here. Don't get me wrong he is a good player when he wants to be but i don't think he has shown enough in a spurs shirt yet to warrant teams like barca chasing him. even in his impressive first season I seem to recall him making quite a lot of errors at one point and as for last season, he was just damn right average

He applied himself the year before last and was one of the top CB in the league: There is no reason why he cannot repeat this and with the captain Hugo leading the charge, the sky's the limit.

Off the ball we had Soldado, Rose, naughton, Lennon, Townsend, Siggy, DMs coming back from injury etc etc with a constant merrygoround of defensive partners.

Jan and our defense was fucked around so hardcore last season, it was a joke. He was set up to fail off the bat.

If only we had a manager who didn't send BAE on loan, bought a starting left back, didn't play a failed winged or right back or Jan at left back and didn't sell Caulker for peanuts.

These recent links are a joke. Getting rid of our top CB after this of all seasons is a thigh slapper.

Poch seems sane and if he can get us playing to our ability, watch out top 4.

My only hope is that he does not give into the nostalgia aspect. I'm slightly afraid he will give Daws a starting role to reward his attitude. I'm also afraid he may get mugged in training by the mercurial Rose, Lennon and Townsend.

If he can resist the lure of what keeps us spinning our wheels in attack and defense, we can gain traction.

We need a more robust midfield and leftback so Jan can play his natural game and get involved with the buildup without second guessing if he's being covered or not.

IMO jan, Kab and Vlad need to be pushing us forward more often. We just need some brains off the ball in defense to cover and not ball watch.

Our buildup had been predictable. Seeing swashbuckling runs from cultured centerbacks is something the prem is not used to. We can mix it up through the middle more often.

We need to drop major money on a stalwart lb IMO. Someone who can act as a foil for the Jans and Vlads. Not a fucking hospital pass from the brainless roaming gnome that is rose.

He specifically stated spurs can achieve his ambitions recently.

...yeah, but that's only 'cos the scope of Spurs ambitions are to buy a player relatively cheap, keep him (obviously against his will, locked up in a cellar with only bread & water) ...then sell him to Real/Barca/City* (*Insert CL Super-Rich Club here) when it becomes abundantly obvious we ain't gonna make CL football again this year, and said player gets sick and tired of empty promises...
Therefore you could argue that our 'ambitions' match Jan's perfectly!!

...yeah, but that's only 'cos the scope of Spurs ambitions are to buy a player relatively cheap, keep him (obviously against his will, locked up in a cellar with only bread & water) ...then sell him to Real/Barca/City* (*Insert CL Super-Rich Club here) when it becomes abundantly obvious we ain't gonna make CL football again this year, and said player gets sick and tired of empty promises...
Therefore you could argue that our 'ambitions' match Jan's perfectly!!

Lol

But we did almost make 4th with insane managers and wingers who had Dominguez like creativity and goal scoring ability.

Like Lloris said. It's almost impossible to play any worse next season. Dark horses!

We just need to avoid a pony at left back.

Honestly, I'm not worried about being able to convince a player as talented as Jan to join us if he goes-- my biggest issue with him potentially leaving is that it'll be a move which operates under the 'let our best players leave' ethos.

Convincing Jan to stay (in conjunction with Lloris' new contract) will set an important tone for our squad under the new regime. The higher ups must prove they have the same level of commitment and ambition as our managers in order for the club to convince the players that producing results here is more important than playing for a bigger payday elsewhere.

"Way to go Jan" Whooo Hoooo. 'Spurs can achieve his ambitions'? gibbs131 It's statements like this that get you branded as an idiot. You have been outed as a player, over club, fan, and I want my fucking £5 quid. Tosser. x

Have another drink drama queen.

Only you can find a fight in me pointing out Jan wants to stay and thinks we can get CL etc.

You may want to pick your frothing frustrations for actual controversial posts?

"Way to go Jan" Whooo Hoooo. 'Spurs can achieve his ambitions'? gibbs131 It's statements like this that get you branded as an idiot. You have been outed as a player, over club, fan, and I want my fucking £5 quid. Tosser. x

Are you upset because Jan said "his" ambitions? Thats just silly. Of course he should be thinking about his personal ambition, and of course they will be different than the teams ambitions to some extent and I have no problem with Jan looking out for himself and his career. In fact, if Jan was a total team player, and only wanted what the team wanted, I would be a little concerned. This shows real drive and ambition to me. I like it, we need more of that. We need more people saying this club needs to be as ambitious as individual players and their egos.

Are you upset because Jan said "his" ambitions? Thats just silly. Of course he should be thinking about his personal ambition, and of course they will be different than the teams ambitions to some extent and I have no problem with Jan looking out for himself and his career. In fact, if Jan was a total team player, and only wanted what the team wanted, I would be a little concerned. This shows real drive and ambition to me. I like it, we need more of that. We need more people saying this club needs to be as ambitious as individual players and their egos.
Ha Ha, I'm not upset. I'm just glad we can match his ambitions. Brilliant!

Have another drink drama queen.

Only you can find a fight in me pointing out Jan wants to stay and thinks we can get CL etc.

You may want to pick your frothing frustrations for actual controversial posts?
Hardly frothing mate. Just pointing out your priorities. "Drama Queen" from you, that's a good one and no mistake.

Back
Top Bottom