Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Correct, he can't be bothered to look things up. He wouldn't want his opinions to be shot down by reality.

Assists:
Townsend - 3
Lennon - 1

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/first-team-profiles/andros-townsend/

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/first-team-profiles/aaron-lennon/

Can you show me these 3 prem assists via video for Townsend? I'd be willing to bet those are in cups etc. I can't remember an assist in the prem from him. Wait a minute...He hasn't played 29 games has he?

EDIT:

haha...Yeah, all of those assists were against the might Anji and Tsbili. Two teams I had never heard of. I concede. He is good enough for that level. Self own stats...

And his prem goal was a cross! And the other two goals he scored were vs Tblisi. Classic self own. Thanks for that link BTW. Very useful.

Last edited:
You can't register an assist if a goal isn't scored. As of right now, we have scored 40 goals, and that puts us into 9th overall. That also means that we are way down the charts in terms of assists as well.

Thank you for that link you gave me when you made fun of my stats. It came in really handy. You mention above that you cant register an assist if a goal isn't scored. Townsend has put in 119 crosses.

Does that have anything to go with goals?

You know "most of which" means right? As in, not all. Faux outrage/willful ignorance.
I do not think that means what you think that means.

Last season Chadli scored 19 goals.
Last season Paulinho scored 14 goals.
You call that hardcore?

Just for reference, Soldado scored 34 last year, so if you're going to include all of the in the same category category as "hardcore", I think you're missing something.

Do you not rate Bentaleb? Because I would have him as an AM over Lennon and Townsned every day of the week.

I think he has talent and I wouldn't compare him to a Lennon or Townsend who tend to be more of a winger. We have to look at position vs position if we're going to compare who we'd have where. That's like saying that I'd rather have Capoue than Naughton, doesn't really make sense.

That being said, I would rather (even with his faults) have Paulinho, Capoue (even though he's more of a CDM), Dembele, or even Lamela if he were healthy in that spot. He has a bright future, but I think he needs time to develop.

Sandro has been cack, and has a lot to do in terms of filling Parker's boots.
Hell, I only changed my avatar from Parker maybe three weeks ago, but Parker was practically non-existent as a player for us last season after his injuries. He wasn't filling his own boots at that point, so trying to hold Sandro to his standard seems... amusing.

And in his best run of form he was always playing alongside Modric. Bring Modric back to Spurs and a lot of our problems would disappear, but Parker at peak form for Spurs was a flash in the pan and Sandro has (GASP!) proven more and been at Spurs for longer than Parker ever was.

Can you show me these 3 prem assists via video for Townsend? I'd be willing to bet those are in cups etc. I can't remember an assist in the prem from him. Wait a minute...He hasn't played 29 games has he?
What's it going to be, Gibbsy? Are we going to include all games (like you did with the Chadli & Paulinho goal totals for last year) or are we just including PL?

Pick one and be consistent, otherwise that may look like you are...cherry picking.

EDIT:

haha...Yeah, all of those assists were against the might Anji and Tsbili. Two teams I had never heard of. I concede. He is good enough for that level. Self own stats...

And his prem goal was a cross! And the other two goals he scored were vs Tblisi. Classic self own. Thanks for that link BTW. Very useful.

Be consistent!

If we're not going to include goals or assists based upon competition or who they played against, then your Chadli and Paulinho totals go from 19 and 14 respectively, to 12 and 8.

Consistency, Gibbsy.

Thank you for that link you gave me when you made fun of my stats. It came in really handy. You mention above that you cant register an assist if a goal isn't scored. Townsend has put in 119 crosses.

Does that have anything to go with goals?
What's your point? If there's one thing that I've said numerous times, it's that Townsend's delivery is shit and he makes too many risky/low-chance shots and passes. Again, the fact that our striking team can't hit the broad side of a barn doesn't help either.

What's your point? If there's one thing that I've said numerous times, it's that Townsend's delivery is shit and he makes too many risky/low-chance shots and passes. Again, the fact that our striking team can't hit the broad side of a barn doesn't help either.

Over a 100 towny crosses mixed with 30 plus soldado goals last season, added to the fact that Townsend and lennon combined only set up one person in the prem this season suggests a trend. A braindead, tiny dancing Tottenham way trend. You don't think Townsend taking 55 prem shots and not scoring from any in the prem has an impact on a striker ? It's stArving them. Greedy.

What's it going to be, Gibbsy? Are we going to include all games (like you did with the Chadli & Paulinho goal totals for last year) or are we just including PL?

Consistency, Gibbsy.

I said they had a HISTORY of goal scoring. HISTORY. You are just being pedantic, clawing for anything. I mean you did laugh at my claim that they had a history of goal scoring, and you probably shit your pants when I told you Chadli etc had scored so many last season. Just another reason why you chase me around this forum.

What's your point? If there's one thing that I've said numerous times, it's that Townsend's delivery is shit and he makes too many risky/low-chance shots and passes.

Thanks. And he IMO is the best out of the English players I criticize. So why are you chasing me around, bringing up how I unfairly judge Lennon and co?

Over a 100 towny crosses mixed with 30 plus soldado goals last season, added to the fact that Townsend and lennon combined only set up one person in the prem this season suggests a trend.
They didn't only set up one person, you know that's wrong. Soldado has scored 11 goals for us this year and at least 4 of those were from penalties. I don't care about last year. It was a different time, different team, a different system, and a different league.

You cannot criticize one set of players because of poor play and their part in a broken system, but then simultaneously defend certain players from the full amount of criticism because they were good last year somewhere else!

A braindead, tiny dancing Tottenham way trend. You don't think Townsend taking 55 prem shots and not scoring from any in the prem has an impact on a striker ? It's stArving them. Greedy.
Yes, it's greedy, and that's my single biggest complaint about Townsend. Remember though, you were the person who noted that he also chalked up 119 crosses, which nobody was able to put into the net. Now, I know I'm not as good at math as you are, but I think that's over double his amount of shots.

It's all about being balanced. I'm not an Ajax, Twente, Valencia, Corinthians, Roma, or Toulouse fan, I'm a Spurs fan. I'm holding our players responsible for their performances this year. Does that mean that I'm ready to give up on Soldado, Chadli, Paulinho, or any others at the moment? No, but I don't hold them in any higher regard because of what they did last year as I care about what they're doing for us now.

The amount of players who have performed well over the course of the season is shockingly small, and that includes the English and non-English players.

Just as a side note, I'm done with this conversation on here. This is the Vertonghen thread and most of our back and forth has nothing to do with him. If you want to continue this elsewhere, fine, but I'm dropping it here.

Sandro (even with his recent injuries) has been better for us overall than Parker, imv

I love both players, but people talking shit about Sandro...They don't actually follow the team at all.

And how much he has been through. Players can bounce back from this injury. RVN had the same injury before he joined United. Hopefully Sandro will be back to his best, and can actually get better alongside Paulinho if he does not have Rose, Townsend, Naughton etc to babysit.

Oh so sandro is a laugh now? Fans called him that, it's not like he gave it to himself like Ince did with the guvnor. Sandro earned that.

Fickle fans.

I didn't say that Sandro gave himself the name, "the beast" but he plays up to it on social media. And in the regular yellow card, early in matches.

I also didn't say that Sandro is a laugh. Assuming that his "beastliness" is meant positively, I'd like to see a bit more of it on the pitch. Less talk, more action.

I like Sandro but I don't think he's yet fulfilled his potential with us and I'd love him to.

Not sure if that makes me "fickle" but I never gave him the beast moniker in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom