Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely not. Sandro has played more games for Spurs than him and generally at a higher performance level. Just because he's been underwhelming this year don't dismiss his otherwise stellar performances until then. Parker is in his shadow.
Sandro (even with his recent injuries) has been better for us overall than Parker, imv

I don't see them in the same role, personally. Parker, for me, was the last line of defence before defence, a guy who face did more than his boots on the goal line, edge of the box, corner flag, it appeared everywhere a shot was. Crazy stuff really.

Sandro isn't that guy for me, so to compare then doesn't fully make sense in my books as neither have ever been designed from the same mould.

If one were to play Sandro instead of Parker in a team and expect Sandro to have the same duty and impact that Parker did on our defence, that would be crazy. They would compliment each other I think as they would both boss the midfield like a tag team.

Don't know where this Jan Vertonghen thread is going, tbh. lol

I don't see them in the same role, personally. Parker, for me, was the last line of defence before defence, a guy who face did more than his boots on the goal line, edge of the box, corner flag, it appeared everywhere a shot was. Crazy stuff really.
Clearly you've forgotten the Chelsea game season before last when Sandro used his nose to keep the ball from going out of bounds and surrendering possession.

Clearly you've forgotten the Chelsea game season before last when Sandro used his nose to keep the ball from going out of bounds and surrendering possession.

Meh, Parker was our voodoo doll..

Karma eventually caught up with Suarez for this one.

suarezz1upotcs2d.gif

Many players have tried to be like Scotty, but have failed

8227222219_f4abf09c0d_o-1.gif

Wrong place, wrong time Gaz..

I think he should be our new player/coach

1z2kl0p.jpg

Last edited:
still depresses me that we let him go
I would have liked it if we could have given him a pay-as-you-play contract with an eye to transitioning him into management, but I don't think he had much to offer the first team anymore. He could have been useful in the Cups and early Europa stages, though.

I would have liked it if we could have given him a pay-as-you-play contract with an eye to transitioning him into management, but I don't think he had much to offer the first team anymore. He could have been useful in the Cups and early Europa stages, though.

Looking at our midfield & defence this season, I'm very sure he wouldn't have struggled to make an impact...

still depresses me that we let him go

Yeh although his game was based on speed around the pitch his legs went towards the end, would have loved if we got him 5 years before we did in his prime, best midfield tackler we have had for god knows how long.

I love Parker, and you know it's true love when you can love a player who played for the chavs and the spammers.

But I think age and injuries got the best of him in the end. That alongside of us losing Modric and Rafa meant we had next to zero creativity last season, forcing Parker to have to get forward and do things that he wasn't built for leading to fans complaining about him unfairly (in some games his average position was higher than Dembele - whose hip injury possibly contributed as in the latter half of the season he looked nothing like the player who arrived).

Modric & Parker were at one point the best CM partnership in the league. :(

However we have Sandro, and Sandro is no joke at all. Before his injury he was immense, bossed it against many top teams, him and Dembele dominated nearly every midfield they came up against. He hasn't looked great since he's been back, but that kind of injury can take close to a year for someone to get back to 100%. Just because he's back and playing doesn't mean he's fully healed. I do think he should chill a bit with the social media just till he finds his form back and doesn't put unnecessary pressure on himself to "beast" games or become more known for facebook than what he does on the pitch. I think there's a top player in there though.

Back
Top Bottom