Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Super Jan back in full training!

EXXfKrZ.jpg

great for the season end run in.. what a dilemma for Poch! Wimmer doesn't deserve to simply be dropped in favour of Jan.. but.. gotta say Verts is the better player.

Just like our fullback situation I am very comfortable whoever starts. We all perhaps have our favourites based on our perceptions on who is better and who brings what to the party but I got to say the Wimmer vs Vertonghen decision is harder than the fullbacks.
Personnally I think Wimmer is the better defender, he is better in the air and when isolated with an attacker I think he is better than Vertonghen. However, with the ball at his feet and facing up the pitch I think Vertonghen is the better. The margins between the two however is finer than those between our fullbacks.

#ThirdWorldProblems.

great for the season end run in.. what a dilemma for Poch! Wimmer doesn't deserve to simply be dropped in favour of Jan.. but.. gotta say Verts is the better player.

Just like our fullback situation I am very comfortable whoever starts. We all perhaps have our favourites based on our perceptions on who is better and who brings what to the party but I got to say the Wimmer vs Vertonghen decision is harder than the fullbacks.
Personnally I think Wimmer is the better defender, he is better in the air and when isolated with an attacker I think he is better than Vertonghen. However, with the ball at his feet and facing up the pitch I think Vertonghen is the better. The margins between the two however is finer than those between our fullbacks.

#ThirdWorldProblems.
Although a fully functioning Toby-Jan partnership is our best combination - I'd be a little nervous throwing Vertonghen into the deep end while he's surely a bit rusty on the ball.

So perhaps Wimmer for the Liverpool and United matches, then introduce Jan back into the team (provided he trains well enough) for either Stoke away or West Brom at home?

I say that as I think we'll be wanting that killer Toby-Jan combo up and running again for the Chelsea away match.

Whatever combination of the three we play, I'm confident with.
Let's face it, up until February, Toby-Kevin WOULD'VE been perceived as our weakest pairing....
As it is, Wimmer has ably proved himself, Toby is pure class, and we already know what Jam can do...
Maybe it's time for Toby to have a game or two off, to keep him fresh for the run-in... he's played pretty much every moment of every game since Jan got injured...

Then again, what do I know? I just support the team... I don't pick it!

Let's face it, up until February, Toby-Kevin WOULD'VE been perceived as our weakest pairing....
As it is, Wimmer has ably proved himself, Toby is pure class, and we already know what Jam can do...
Maybe it's time for Toby to have a game or two off, to keep him fresh for the run-in... he's played pretty much every moment of every game since Jan got injured...

Then again, what do I know? I just support the team... I don't pick it!
Actually, and this fits in with what you just said, regardless of the CB pairing we use, I think the key factor is having Dier playing in front of them.

So no yellow cards or injuries please, Eric!

#ThirdWorldProblems.

I prefer Vertonghen - slightly quicker, more assured, more experienced.

I can see a defence with Vertonghen without Alderweireld, but not Wimmer without Alderweireld.

I'd be a bit wary of pitching him in straight away against Liverpool, but without taking anything away from Big Kev's superb performances, I'm glad Super Jan's back. I just want to see the 'Superman' celebration before the end of the season.

I prefer Vertonghen - slightly quicker, more assured, more experienced.

I can see a defence with Vertonghen without Alderweireld, but not Wimmer without Alderweireld.
Agree about being more assured and obviously more experienced, also this year more than another year he has also stepped up as a leader (understandably Wimmer isn't), this year you can see him constantly organising those around him. But I wouldn't say he has any pace to speak of, I'd say he is the slowest out of the three and also slower than Dier too, when left one on one unfortunately he gets beaten more often than not. FWIW overall I favour Vertonghen and because we have a cohesive and collective press and a decent DM then it is rare our defence is isolated as it has been in previous years, because of this his strengths as a ball playing CB can shine through and like you say we look more assured. But the more Wimmer plays the more confident he gets, against Bournemouth he was brilliant and he must have hit 7 or 8 pin point diagonal balls in the first half alone and created the 2nd goal with a beautiful pass to Ali.

Then again, what do I know...?
Ratings for post #2005
Thread: PLAYERS Jan Vertonghen
Agree x 1 Mrs Perryman

Dunno why, but I always love it when you agree with my posts Mrs.P!!

Agree with the others, no need to rush him back. I'd wait until after the United and Pool games and give him the start if he is back to normal in training.

Back
Top Bottom