Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking excellent news. BTW I think Wimmer has been excellent, just great that he might be fit for what will no doubt be a nervy run-in and feel secure in the knowledge we have cover and/or options, fingers crossed.

it wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't have minded Jan moving on. His apparent moodiness was grating on me and just wasn't as reliable as I felt we needed. That being said, he's been a great asset to us this year and I think he's become a very important part of the squad both off and on the pitch.

Would be interesting to see if we'd ever try one of our three centre halves in defensive midfield to sit in front of the back four if we ever decide to rest Dier. I know Alderweireld has played their before for Southampton so he would seem the natural fit but it would mean playing two left footed centre halves together.

Would be interesting to see if we'd ever try one of our three centre halves in defensive midfield to sit in front of the back four if we ever decide to rest Dier. I know Alderweireld has played their before for Southampton so he would seem the natural fit but it would mean playing two left footed centre halves together.
You were right about Verts being out for ages. I thought we would have him back by now. Feel we are missing that extra player.

You were right about Verts being out for ages. I thought we would have him back by now. Feel we are missing that extra player.
Only because Courtois had the same injury and was out for ages. But I believe Vertonghen is at least kicking a football now and probably running so he's probably not far from being back in contention.

It'll be the perfect time to give Toby a rest when it happens

Right center back is only going to be played by a right footed player in Poch's system. So unless you think Carter-Vickers will step in for a match, I HIGHLY doubt that we see Toby on the bench (except maybe for Dortmund).

Target of the dippers match on 2nd April, looking good.

Tottenham injury news: Jan Vertonghen could return in time for Liverpool clash

Jan Vertonghen is closing in on a return to action for Tottenham and believes he can be involved in the match at Liverpool on April 2.

The Belgium defender has been out of action since damaging medial ligaments in the 3-1 win at Crystal Palace on January 23, persuading head coach Mauricio Pochettino to predict he would be absent for two months.

Although Vertonghen is not yet training with the main squad, he is making good progress and tweeted recently that he had started working with the ball again. The centre-back was also taken to Germany for last week’s 3-0 Europa League defeat by Borussia Dortmund – a strong sign that he is approaching full fitness again.

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino is likely to stick with Toby Alderweireld and Kevin Wimmer in central defence for the next two games, the home leg against Dortmund tomorrow (THU), and the league fixture against Bournemouth at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

But the forthcoming international break – after this weekend, there are no Premier League matches until the first weekend in April – will give Vertonghen time to step up his recovery again. Vertonghen will not be ready to represent his country but Standard Sport understands the 28-year-old is optimistic he could play a part at Anfield.

Pochettino is notoriously cautious when bringing back players from injury and it may be that Vertonghen has to be patient, especially with Wimmer performing well alongside Alderweireld. Yet Vertonghen was one of Spurs’ best players in the first half of the campaign and they will need his experience as they try to chase down league leaders Leicester.

After Spurs face Liverpool, they take on Manchester United at White Hart Lane on April 10.

Back
Top Bottom