Isco - the player we need

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like I said, last season it was on the cards, except Zidane persuaded him to stay for 1 more season and try to nail down a 1st team place....
The rumours about him preferring London and Spurs over the 2 others are based solely on the fact he wants to be playing regular football...and likes the style of football

Fast forward 1 year...

"Why does Poch hate Isco?"
"Isco was a waste of money, Poch blew it."
"Levy needs to give Poch 80 million to buy a real world class player; Isco, Janssen and Sissoko are trash."

If true, it's promising that he's happy with Pochettinos vision and potential role.

I mean if we're going to stick with 3 at the back, it means Eriksen, Alli and Isco are going to be competing for two spots behind Kane which means Isco is guaranteed as much first team football here as he is at Real Madrid. Unless we're thinking of playing one of them in a deeper role.

I do believe you're forgetting about Erik. Would be incredible depth for us though. We'd just need to sort out more like for like cover for Danny Rose and we would be set.

I do believe you're forgetting about Erik. Would be incredible depth for us though. We'd just need to sort out more like for like cover for Danny Rose and we would be set.

True.

I almost wonder if we'll revert back to 4-2-3-1.

Isco, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli and Son all fighting for a place in that three behind Kane. With the likes of Edwards on the cusp and learning from all of them.

9559.jpg
image_update_img.jpg

:dude:Ian Bothams joined TFC.

If true, it's promising that he's happy with Pochettinos vision and potential role.

I mean if we're going to stick with 3 at the back, it means Eriksen, Alli and Isco are going to be competing for two spots behind Kane which means Isco is guaranteed as much first team football here as he is at Real Madrid. Unless we're thinking of playing one of them in a deeper role.

The 3 of them competing for 2 spots is just the competition and depth we need....

Kills things dead for Sissoko & Onomah, but question is could we still sustain both Lamela and Son too in such circumstances?

I also share the opinion we need to front load our spending over the next 2 summers to combat the Wembley factor... We can't fuck around on top of that waiting for slow starters and signings to find their groove by Xmas.... Who knows... We could find ourselves midtable by then!

If this comes off, some of you who slated the poor guy who started this thread, who flat out told me that he was leaving because of his treatment here, well, some self reflection is probably in order.

Marca is the Real mouthpiece, even if this doesn't come off, that they are reporting it probably means the story at least has legs.

Last edited:

Aye.... Isco and Sessengon early August and then just worry about outgoings.

Have to make the most of these pre-seasons without int. tournament action.

Last edited:
Isco wants guaranteed 1st team football, he nearly left last summer due to being dropped and not getting enough game time but was persuaded to stay by Zidane who told him he had a chance to nail down a 1st team place. Madrid at the time didn't want to potentially lose him to another La Liga club. Rumours here in Spain suggested that the Premier League team was his preferred destination, and London was where he would like to go...
A move to Chavs could have been done, but I feel from the vibes in the media here that he wasn't sure about them because Hazard was their main man in midfield and he felt he would again be sacrificed in certain games!
That leaves 2 North London clubs that could be interested, but 1 couldn't sign him because of funding, plus they have 2 players in Ozil and Sanchez on the books with £100k+ wages, so who is left?
He doesn't come with a bank breaking contract demand and his wages would just about fit into our structure, it's only whether Levy would thrash out a deal with our ex-partners in terms of payment plans, and with a fee of around €40m (touted release clause) which i think is ok considering the amount spent last summer on players that don't even make the bench in 70% of league matches...
Overall, it could be the missing part that turns a spark into a flame and ignite our season, which when you consider where our home games will be played we certainly need to hot it up next season, so Levy it's over to you....
When you say 'Isco wants guaranteed 1st team football', do you mean that he wants to be closer to challenging for a first team position or that he expects to be selected every week (unless injured).. 'cos that ain't gonna happen for anyone under Poch's watch.

When you say 'Isco wants guaranteed 1st team football', do you mean that he wants to be closer to challenging for a first team position or that he expects to be selected every week (unless injured).. 'cos that ain't gonna happen for anyone under Poch's watch.

Of course, nobody should expect to be treated differently but if fit then I don't see why he wouldn't be selected, unless it's a mickey mouse cup game or Poch wants to change the system and he will not fit into it...

If this comes off, some of you who slated the poor guy who started this thread, who flat out told me that he was leaving because of his treatment here, well, some self reflection is probably in order.

Marca is the Real mouthpiece, even if this doesn't come off, that they are reporting it probably means the story at least has legs.

Even you lost patience with him by page 6. That is not a criticism btw.

Just the sort of player we need, I think. We don't have enough depth in creative playmakers. He'll get plenty of game-time, both in place of and alongside Eriksen. I don't believe Son, Lamela, or Alli have anything to fear either. Sissoko and Onomah on the other hand...

When Eriksen shows up, the entire team clicks. When he doesn't, the entire team can feel lifeless at times. The problem of where to fit Isco and Eriksen into the team is what I like to call "a good problem to have", versus the awful problem of having such poor depth at critical positions. We will have injuries next season, and we will have to rotate our squad across competitions, and when that happens, it's good to have the problem of too many competing for the starting 11.

My opinion is that Isco might well be the midfielder we need to challenge Eriksen but I can see Barkley coming our way if Pochettino stays.

If we added him, Zaha and a striker and keep Alderweireld then I think that is nailed on better.

Move on 2/3 and what a squad we would have.

Isco or Barkley for me represent much of a muchness but I sense in Barkley a super talent in our kind of squad.

Back
Top Bottom