Isco - the player we need

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But what are your thoughts on sausage?
Sausage-Party.jpg

Yes but that is very much an acceptable sentence. It's actually short for I'm going down to the pub. I'm going down to pub is just daft. I'm going down Spurs is equally as daft, but the sentence should in fact be "I'm going down to White Hart Lane" not "I'm going down to the Spurs."

Oh I know what it should be, but it's not like the North London dialect is steeped in grammatical correctness. I mean, most of us omit on average 30% of the letters in any given word, these days I've had to start enunciating 'Edmonton' properly, because when folk ask where I'm from and I tell them "Emunun", hey haven't got a fucking clue what I'm talking about!

Oh I know what it should be, but it's not like the North London dialect is steeped in grammatical correctness. I mean, most of us omit on average 30% of the letters in any given word, these days I've had to start enunciating 'Edmonton' properly, because when folk ask where I'm from and I tell them "Emunun", hey haven't got a fucking clue what I'm talking about!
You're from Canada?

However good Isco is or isn't I don't think he is what we need.

If pushed into a corner and asked specifically for fear of life itself what I would pin down as the one player or type of player we needed, it would be be an out wide player with uber belief (Ginola mould) who scored 15 goals plus.

Mostly though a player, who like Ginioa or better still of the Cantona sense of complete belief in himself that the pitch was his and no opponent too good.

Pochettino wants the players to believe they are winners. It is and remains a big ask. Sometimes you need to bring that type of player to your club even if it is just for 2/3 seasons to push you to the next stage.

Isco is not that player in my opinion.

However good Isco is or isn't I don't think he is what we need.

If pushed into a corner and asked specifically for fear of life itself what I would pin down as the one player or type of player we needed, it would be be an out wide player with uber belief (Ginola mould) who scored 15 goals plus.

Mostly though a player, who like Ginioa or better still of the Cantona sense of complete belief in himself that the pitch was his and no opponent too good.

Pochettino wants the players to believe they are winners. It is and remains a big ask. Sometimes you need to bring that type of player to your club even if it is just for 2/3 seasons to push you to the next stage.

Isco is not that player in my opinion.

I agree we perhaps need a Osamune Dembele type more but let's not forget Isco is serious quality, creativity like Eriksen but more physical/aggressive.

Alexis Sanchez was a Barca reject, Isco still gets in the Real team quite a bit and does well for them, it's only because they have the likes of Ronaldo, Bale etc that he is guaranteed a starting spot every game.

As his contract is running down if he comes at £30 million that would in today's money be a bargain. I don't think people realise talent wise how good this guy is.

Isco wants guaranteed 1st team football, he nearly left last summer due to being dropped and not getting enough game time but was persuaded to stay by Zidane who told him he had a chance to nail down a 1st team place. Madrid at the time didn't want to potentially lose him to another La Liga club. Rumours here in Spain suggested that the Premier League team was his preferred destination, and London was where he would like to go...
A move to Chavs could have been done, but I feel from the vibes in the media here that he wasn't sure about them because Hazard was their main man in midfield and he felt he would again be sacrificed in certain games!
That leaves 2 North London clubs that could be interested, but 1 couldn't sign him because of funding, plus they have 2 players in Ozil and Sanchez on the books with £100k+ wages, so who is left?
He doesn't come with a bank breaking contract demand and his wages would just about fit into our structure, it's only whether Levy would thrash out a deal with our ex-partners in terms of payment plans, and with a fee of around €40m (touted release clause) which i think is ok considering the amount spent last summer on players that don't even make the bench in 70% of league matches...
Overall, it could be the missing part that turns a spark into a flame and ignite our season, which when you consider where our home games will be played we certainly need to hot it up next season, so Levy it's over to you....

Last edited:
If true, it's promising that he's happy with Pochettinos vision and potential role.

I mean if we're going to stick with 3 at the back, it means Eriksen, Alli and Isco are going to be competing for two spots behind Kane which means Isco is guaranteed as much first team football here as he is at Real Madrid. Unless we're thinking of playing one of them in a deeper role.

Back
Top Bottom