Is it fixed ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've successfully avoided media and Gooners all day. For that, I am thankful. My Fb page remains deactivated. The last 2 weeks have been horrific, and I wish it had gone much more to my liking. However, I shalln't jump aboard the conspiracy train or moan like a bitch. I don't support Liverpool, and I don't wish to be confused as such, or step into their victim territory. The country was against us up until the Chel$cum game, but it's our own doing at the end of the day. We've just been total shit lately. Simple as that.

I've successfully avoided media and Gooners all day. For that, I am thankful. My Fb page remains deactivated. The last 2 weeks have been horrific, and I wish it had gone much more to my liking. However, I shalln't jump aboard the conspiracy train or moan like a bitch. I don't support Liverpool, and I don't wish to be confused as such, or step into their victim territory. The country was against us up until the Chel$cum game, but it's our own doing at the end of the day. We've just been total shit lately. Simple as that.
Stop being so rational. Paranoia is your name.

I think it is a curse to always end up below them. Problem is Mental and until it is mathematically impossible to end up below them I will always expect that to happen. Why was the verdict on the control of players at Chelsea delayed until after the season finished? Had we have won or drawn would we have had a points deduction???
Maybe when Wenger retires they will struggle like MU after Fergie retired and we will finally do it.

I think it is a curse to always end up below them. Problem is Mental and until it is mathematically impossible to end up below them I will always expect that to happen. Why was the verdict on the control of players at Chelsea delayed until after the season finished? Had we have won or drawn would we have had a points deduction???
Maybe when Wenger retires they will struggle like MU after Fergie retired and we will finally do it.
I so want to finish above them before the old duffer shuffles off into the wilderness. Put the final nail in his career. At least he's cemented his position for another year. It's good news- particularly if they extend his contract.

Lasagne-gate has gone down in folk lore and the fact it was norovirus and nothing to do with the lasagne itself is forgotten and lost in the mists of time.

For me that was one of the worst of the lot though, David Dein sitting at the gooner match on his mobile saying "no way we gonna postpone", spam fans throwing bog roll on the pitch and saying Spurs are the ones in brown shorts. I remember players vomiting on the pitch. It was a bad bad day.

Maybe someone at the FA is preparing their "Comedy Spurs fails" compilation, but TBH I don't really buy into the conspiracy thing. It's just bad luck and a mentality that we will always be behind them. As has already been mentioned, Case needs to squash any "Mind the Gap" type threads next season until it genuinely is mathematically impossible. Even the Goal difference made me nervous on Sunday. Goons slimmed down a lot of the GD in the event in any case but a draw and losing on GD was also mathematically possible. Maybe that will be the next chapter of the compilation. TBH it's getting hard to think of new ways we can do it.

Last edited:
Lasagne-gate has gone down in folk lore and the fact it was norovirus and nothing to do with the lasagne itself is forgotten and lost in the mists of time.

For me that was one of the worst of the lot though, David Dein sitting at the gooner match on his mobile saying "no way we gonna postpone", spam fans throwing bog roll on the pitch and saying Spurs are the ones in brown shorts. I remember players vomiting on the pitch. It was a bad bad day.

Maybe someone at the FA is preparing their "Comedy Spurs fails" compilation, but TBH I don't really buy into the conspiracy thing. It's just bad luck and a mentality that we will always be behind them. As has already been mentioned, Case needs to squash any "Mind the Gap" type threads next season until it genuinely is mathematically impossible. Even the Goal difference made me nervous on Sunday. Goons slimmed down a lot of the GD in the event in any case but a draw and losing on GD was also mathematically possible. Maybe that will be the next chapter of the compilation. TBH it's getting hard to think of new ways we can do it.

Yes I remember Carrick throwing up repeatedly

We asked for a postponement and they offered just two hrs delay which wouldn't have made any difference

Absolutely ridiculous

Woolwich always seem to perform when they have no pressure. But any time they top the league and get all the media attention as potential title winners, they choke.

In reality they only went on a run in the last few games when the title was gone and they had very little to play for-I dont think they even thought they would finish 2nd...They also have to be the worst runners up ever in the history of the prem-they never even put in a title challlenge.

I dont think there is any chance of a conspiracy here-unfortunately the one thing the scum do have is the mental edge over finishing above us but seriously, if they are happy with their season and pipping us to 2nd, that says a lot about them. I would agree with Poch-we should focus on ourselves, winning trophies and not worry what those c*nts down the road are doing - we have gone forwards and they are going backwards (yes, in this case the table does lie...)

Woolwich always seem to perform when they have no pressure. But any time they top the league and get all the media attention as potential title winners, they choke.

In reality they only went on a run in the last few games when the title was gone and they had very little to play for-I dont think they even thought they would finish 2nd...They also have to be the worst runners up ever in the history of the prem-they never even put in a title challlenge.

I dont think there is any chance of a conspiracy here-unfortunately the one thing the scum do have is the mental edge over finishing above us but seriously, if they are happy with their season and pipping us to 2nd, that says a lot about them. I would agree with Poch-we should focus on ourselves, winning trophies and not worry what those c*nts down the road are doing - we have gone forwards and they are going backwards (yes, in this case the table does lie...)

Nah they put in a challenge, it was just a weak one as usual which petered out amongst infighting and the worst protest against a manager I think I've ever seen. Lemons.

That common knowledge? Certainly makes sense over a 'random' fixture generator.
They're never really random. The Premier League did a piece about it on Sky a couple of years back. This is the sanitised PL version, so you can bet there's much more wheeler dealing going on in the background

How 2015/16 Fixture List Is Compiled | Barclays Premier League

The release of the Barclays Premier League fixture list is always an eagerly anticipated part of the footballing calendar as fans discover when their team will be playing their opponents in the campaign to come.

The schedule for the 2015/16 season is released this Wednesday, 17 June, at 9am BST and you will be able to discover all the fixtures on premierleague.com.

Producing the full fixture list is no random draw. It is the result of a meticulous and painstaking process that lasts almost half a year and involves the scheduling of 2,036 matches across the top four divisions.

Premierleague.com spoke to fixture-list compiler Glenn Thompson, of Atos, an international IT services company, to find out how it all works.

When does the work start?
GT:
For me it begins at the start of the year; that's when I get the playing dates from the Premier League. The whole thing is built up putting in the international matches from FIFA and UEFA, then the European club competitions, then the Football Association adds in the dates for its competitions and what you are left with are the dates when you can play league and Capital One Cup matches.

"The fixtures for the Rugby World Cup taking place in England in the autumn of this year at some Premier League grounds has added another factor to consider this time around but we have had discussions for a number of years over this so this has helped to facilitate a situation where we have all worked together to get the fixtures to suit all parties.

What is "sequencing"?
That's the methodology we use which was created back in 1982. It is all about breaking the season down into a number of constituent parts, which are called sets. We break it down into five sets, which are reversed in the second half of the season.

Are there any rules you have to adhere to?
There are the "golden rules" of sequencing. In any five matches there should be a split of three home fixtures, two away or the other way around. A team will never have more than two home or away matches in a row, and, wherever possible, you will be home and away around FA Cup ties.

A club will never start or finish the season with two home or two away matches because it would be unfair for a team to finish with two aways, especially if they are looking for points. Around the Christmas period, if you are at home on Boxing Day you will be away on New Year's Day or the equivalent date and we will also try to maintain a Saturday home-away sequence throughout the season wherever possible.

Do clubs from the same area play at home on the same day?
Most clubs will have a partner club that they cannot clash with. There are the obvious ones - Manchester United and Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton - and then when you get into London it gets a bit more complex and less obvious. For example, you have got the likes of Dagenham & Redbridge and Leyton Orient, who wish to be away when West Ham United are scheduled a home match. But because both Dagenham & Redbridge and Leyton Orient are in the same division in 2015/16 it is impossible for them to be always opposite West Ham, otherwise they would never play a match against each other.

What happens next?
Around March, the Premier League sends to each of its member clubs a form asking them to fill in three things: Are there any dates they wish not to be at home? That is answered in conjunction with the local police. They will also be asked which club they want to pair with and whether there are any teams they do not wish to play at home on Boxing Day.

Can you satisfy all of the requests?
From looking at the sequence we know how many of these dates we can meet. When we can't, the Premier League will ask the club which of the requests are most important. We cannot accommodate everything but, on average, we satisfy higher than 85% every year.

How do the fixtures get processed?
We cannot do anything until we know the composition of each division, which is, obviously, after the last Football League play-off. Then we can start looking at the main bit of compiling the fixtures. It is a matter of placing each of the clubs in a pairing grid, which basically defines the dates they will be at home. For every date in the season, the fixture computer knows who is at home and who is away and then it will mix them up randomly to determine which matches will take place on which date.

What happens if there are any problems?
If we have got any issues, we might have to go back and start again to produce a different set of fixtures. I'm reviewing the fixtures all the time to ensure other things can be met. In the 2011/12 season, for example, there was a requirement from the Metropolitan Police not to play high-profile matches until after 8 September because of the Olympics and Paralympics.

How is the fixture list checked?
The Premier League, the Football League and Atos representatives will sit down and review the fixtures for two days, looking at every date in the season to make sure that wherever possible we have met everything we have been asked to. At that stage the computer is very useful because if we do not want a certain fixture on a particular date, it will give us alternate dates for that fixture to be moved to. It can be that changing one match may require 40 other changes.

We also have a working party meeting with representatives from all the leagues, the FA and also a fans representative, from the Football Supporters' Federation. They will have had an introductory meeting in March before the fixtures are produced and then just before the fixtures are released they will meet again to go through key dates of the fixture list, such as opening day and the Christmas schedule, and provide a check that all therequirements we have considered have been adequately dealt with.

The fixtures are then looked at by the Association of Chief Police Officers and British Transport Police representatives.

Do you consider travel issues?
Yes. We look at whether we have got clubs from the same area travelling on the same trainlines across the Football League and the Premier League on the same day. We want to avoid having various "pinch points" on the rail and road network. We also tell the computer to try to minimise travel on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

How are the fixtures released?
After the fixtures have been finalised, it's just a matter of printing them out and sending them to the leagues. The fixtures are then released to the relevant press distributers the night before so they can distribute them on the morning of release.

Is it the impossible job?
You can't satisfy everyone. It's a compromise across all clubs; you can't do anything to favour any one club. There are 2,036 matches, across the Premier League and Football League over a nine-month period, and the ideal solution is to ensure that those matches can all be played at 3pm on a Saturday.

To find out the full fixture list for the 2015/16 Barclays Premier League season, visitwww.premierleague.com from 9am BST on Wednesday 17 June.

They're never really random. The Premier League did a piece about it on Sky a couple of years back. This is the sanitised PL version, so you can bet there's much more wheeler dealing going on in the background

How 2015/16 Fixture List Is Compiled | Barclays Premier League

The release of the Barclays Premier League fixture list is always an eagerly anticipated part of the footballing calendar as fans discover when their team will be playing their opponents in the campaign to come.

The schedule for the 2015/16 season is released this Wednesday, 17 June, at 9am BST and you will be able to discover all the fixtures on premierleague.com.

Producing the full fixture list is no random draw. It is the result of a meticulous and painstaking process that lasts almost half a year and involves the scheduling of 2,036 matches across the top four divisions.

Premierleague.com spoke to fixture-list compiler Glenn Thompson, of Atos, an international IT services company, to find out how it all works.

When does the work start?
GT:
For me it begins at the start of the year; that's when I get the playing dates from the Premier League. The whole thing is built up putting in the international matches from FIFA and UEFA, then the European club competitions, then the Football Association adds in the dates for its competitions and what you are left with are the dates when you can play league and Capital One Cup matches.

"The fixtures for the Rugby World Cup taking place in England in the autumn of this year at some Premier League grounds has added another factor to consider this time around but we have had discussions for a number of years over this so this has helped to facilitate a situation where we have all worked together to get the fixtures to suit all parties.

What is "sequencing"?
That's the methodology we use which was created back in 1982. It is all about breaking the season down into a number of constituent parts, which are called sets. We break it down into five sets, which are reversed in the second half of the season.

Are there any rules you have to adhere to?
There are the "golden rules" of sequencing. In any five matches there should be a split of three home fixtures, two away or the other way around. A team will never have more than two home or away matches in a row, and, wherever possible, you will be home and away around FA Cup ties.

A club will never start or finish the season with two home or two away matches because it would be unfair for a team to finish with two aways, especially if they are looking for points. Around the Christmas period, if you are at home on Boxing Day you will be away on New Year's Day or the equivalent date and we will also try to maintain a Saturday home-away sequence throughout the season wherever possible.

Do clubs from the same area play at home on the same day?
Most clubs will have a partner club that they cannot clash with. There are the obvious ones - Manchester United and Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton - and then when you get into London it gets a bit more complex and less obvious. For example, you have got the likes of Dagenham & Redbridge and Leyton Orient, who wish to be away when West Ham United are scheduled a home match. But because both Dagenham & Redbridge and Leyton Orient are in the same division in 2015/16 it is impossible for them to be always opposite West Ham, otherwise they would never play a match against each other.

What happens next?
Around March, the Premier League sends to each of its member clubs a form asking them to fill in three things: Are there any dates they wish not to be at home? That is answered in conjunction with the local police. They will also be asked which club they want to pair with and whether there are any teams they do not wish to play at home on Boxing Day.

Can you satisfy all of the requests?
From looking at the sequence we know how many of these dates we can meet. When we can't, the Premier League will ask the club which of the requests are most important. We cannot accommodate everything but, on average, we satisfy higher than 85% every year.

How do the fixtures get processed?
We cannot do anything until we know the composition of each division, which is, obviously, after the last Football League play-off. Then we can start looking at the main bit of compiling the fixtures. It is a matter of placing each of the clubs in a pairing grid, which basically defines the dates they will be at home. For every date in the season, the fixture computer knows who is at home and who is away and then it will mix them up randomly to determine which matches will take place on which date.

What happens if there are any problems?
If we have got any issues, we might have to go back and start again to produce a different set of fixtures. I'm reviewing the fixtures all the time to ensure other things can be met. In the 2011/12 season, for example, there was a requirement from the Metropolitan Police not to play high-profile matches until after 8 September because of the Olympics and Paralympics.

How is the fixture list checked?
The Premier League, the Football League and Atos representatives will sit down and review the fixtures for two days, looking at every date in the season to make sure that wherever possible we have met everything we have been asked to. At that stage the computer is very useful because if we do not want a certain fixture on a particular date, it will give us alternate dates for that fixture to be moved to. It can be that changing one match may require 40 other changes.

We also have a working party meeting with representatives from all the leagues, the FA and also a fans representative, from the Football Supporters' Federation. They will have had an introductory meeting in March before the fixtures are produced and then just before the fixtures are released they will meet again to go through key dates of the fixture list, such as opening day and the Christmas schedule, and provide a check that all therequirements we have considered have been adequately dealt with.

The fixtures are then looked at by the Association of Chief Police Officers and British Transport Police representatives.

Do you consider travel issues?
Yes. We look at whether we have got clubs from the same area travelling on the same trainlines across the Football League and the Premier League on the same day. We want to avoid having various "pinch points" on the rail and road network. We also tell the computer to try to minimise travel on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

How are the fixtures released?
After the fixtures have been finalised, it's just a matter of printing them out and sending them to the leagues. The fixtures are then released to the relevant press distributers the night before so they can distribute them on the morning of release.

Is it the impossible job?
You can't satisfy everyone. It's a compromise across all clubs; you can't do anything to favour any one club. There are 2,036 matches, across the Premier League and Football League over a nine-month period, and the ideal solution is to ensure that those matches can all be played at 3pm on a Saturday.

To find out the full fixture list for the 2015/16 Barclays Premier League season, visitwww.premierleague.com from 9am BST on Wednesday 17 June.

So it IS fixed.... ah -haaaaaaah!

Lasagnegate was the only option for me. That on the other hand had glaring sympthoms of corruption about it:
  • Food poisoning effectively hitting an entire team: never before, never since in league history. Ever.
  • Timing: Would have lifted the at the time fittest non-top-4 team into the top 4 and broken the "SKY 4" monopoly on CL revenue, at a time where it was decisive for succes (TV revenues relatively smaller).
  • Timing, part deux: Would have hit a leading "SKY 4" team extremely hard, at a time where they were to move into a new ground and pay off the deficits - and where key players were peaking, plateauing og slightly descending even.
  • Formalities: The decision to not delay the game was effectively taken in the ground of the team, which would benefit so very much by the very decision.
  • Narrative: The entire media treated the event with utter ridicule, studio pundits glossing it over with "typical spurs" suggestions and outright denying, that any foul play could possibly be in motion; even if it was just a lone wolf employee at the hotel with no participation in any conspiracy. Afterwards there was a blank, complete lack of public debate regarding the formalities. It wasn't even a bias. It was a consensus.
....and Thierry Henry would have left if they had failed

Its not a fix as you are suggesting. For sure, other teams have taken advantage, manipulated and manoeuvred themselves into favourable positions by dodgy means. The Woolwich have always been at it, they are a club with history. As clubs go, they were known as the bank of England and we all know how dodgy banks can be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom