In context of the season would you prefer to....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want Spurs to qualify for the Ropey

• Total voters
Not sure whether its his or levy's decision to prioritise top 4 over cups?

Cups definitely mean less in other countries, so there could be an element of him not seeing why they are worth bothering with. Although the cups over here have become massively devalued over the past decade or so too. If you go on a run and get far then they become important but if you go out in the first couple of rounds it's disappointing but you get over it a lot quicker than in the past.

Us actually getting to the final of the League Cup recently kind of throws a spanner in the argument that he completely doesn't give a fuck about the cups though. Probably if we had more squad depth/Poch wasn't so committed to blooding young talent (which is a good thing really) we'd be trying harder and doing better in them consistently.

So, your idea of glory is to bin off the Premier League and focus on EL?
Surely the idea should be to fuck off the idiotic preconception that we are in a position to prioritise, we've won two poxy league cups in the past 25 years.

We definitely should be looking at qualifying for the next stage of the Europa League, before the last 32 of the Europa League in February we still have to play 12 Premier League games and an FA Cup 3rd round tie.

Looking at some of the performances of late where we have looked a little jaded it is quite possible that we will be out of the title race and the 3rd round of the FA Cup (if we get a tough away draw). In that situation the Europa League might be our only shot at sliverware and qualifying for the Champions League again, which could impact next summers transfer window due to the increase in finances.

Also it gives us the opportunity to give players games if we get a good first leg lead and lastly we get to see more games in Europe.

Yossarian

Formerly WALOB
Qualify for the Ropey
Fail to Qualify

Given that Chavs and Dippers are setting the PL pace with no European distraction, would you prefer to focus on the League or enjoy a continuing though anticlimactic European campaign ?

Please show your workings.

It's a quandary for me. Based on our outstanding defence I believe we have a genuine shot at the PL this season, provided we can play our strongest 9/10/11 in each of the remaining 26 matches.
Our defensive prowess is not a new thing; I believe our opponents' hearts sink when they see our first choice back 4 starting against them. You cannot beat a team that doesn't concede.
The CL campaign has exposed our lack of depth and no mistake.

I'd like Spurs to qualify for the EL and then unleash the youth on it. We won't win it but we would blood some youngsters and maximise our prospects of winning the League.
Thats a good point, but if he did that and they suffer, he will be crucified for not taking the comp seriously, it's a bit of a no win situation.

Throwing games like Dortmund last season forfeit an opportunity to gain experience and a winning mentality in Europe. It's a direct correlation between that disgusting attitude and the performances this season in the Champions League for me.

We'll probably do our level best to throw CSKA and I predict fail, with a draw. Enter an awkward game or two in the Europa League, then exit (we need to rest players X Y Z because we've got a MASSIVE game against Northern Shit on Sunday...)

We all know the drill, it's been going on for years now, ever since Redknapp sent the third team out to the Ukraine in the later stages of the Europa.

League is first priority but there's no reason Europa league can't offer valuable game time for our very large and generally talented squad.

Earlier this morning I was no to EL as I don't think Poch takes cups seriously. That said looking at the CL 3rd teams we could be seeded with a win v Moscow.

Now, the EL teams don't look daunting given Dortmund and Sevilla aren't in it.

A: Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Man Utd.
B: APOEL, Olympiakos, BSC Young Boys
C: Anderlecht, St Etienne, Mainz
D: Zenit, Dundalk, Maccabi Tel Aviv
E: Roma, Vienna, FK Astra [lol spam]
F: Genk, Bilbao, Rapid Vienna, Sassuolo
G: Ajax, Celta Vigo, St Liege
H: Shakhtar, Braga, KAA Gent
I: Schalke, Krasnodar
J: Fiorentina, Qarabag
K: Sparta, Soton, Hapoel
L: Osmanlispor, Villarreal, Zurich

Clubs unlikely to qualify aren't listed. Not much to be frightened of there. So if Poch has stated he'd take it seriously then based on that list why not?

Our biggest threat would be CL dropouts of which none look out of our reach either.

No no no. Fuck that shit, our squad is just barely strong enough to keep us from falling apart completely when we have a couple of injuries. We should focus all our energy towards finishing in the CL again and use the money to improve our squad, instead of some vague romantic idea of a ''good cup run'' that's never going to actually happen, especially in a shitty competition that our players never look up for. Poch himself says that we are lacking the quality to compete in the CL, and the way to fix that is picking up that uefa money every season.
Mauricio Pochettino says changes needed after Spurs flop in Monaco

No rather got for the league and FA cup personally. Our squad ain't strong enough for all of them. You only have to look at Leicester's title, Liverpool's close second under Rogers, what Chelsea and Liverpool are doing this season to see how no European football gives them such an advantage.

I love the CL but now we are in the EL which is shit and made shit by UEFA and how it's run I rather not quite frankly.

Back
Top Bottom