In context of the season would you prefer to....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want Spurs to qualify for the Ropey

• Total voters
It's a quandary for me. Based on our outstanding defence I believe we have a genuine shot at the PL this season, provided we can play our strongest 9/10/11 in each of the remaining 26 matches.
Our defensive prowess is not a new thing; I believe our opponents' hearts sink when they see our first choice back 4 starting against them. You cannot beat a team that doesn't concede.
The CL campaign has exposed our lack of depth and no mistake.

I'd like Spurs to qualify for the EL and then unleash the youth on it. We won't win it but we would blood some youngsters and maximise our prospects of winning the League.

ZpAc4rW.jpg

Yes - it's European football.
I can't be arsed with the constant Sunday matches but we did alright with it last season. I don't blame the europa for our failure to win the league.

First time I have ever said this but for THIS year we have to bin it. Why? We are not playing well, we have injuries and those who excelled last year are way off form. We simply can't cope with rotation, something we did well last year (especially our fullbacks). Nothing I have seen this year has convinced me that we will cope playing in the EL.

We are a tuff side to play against, our position in the league is testament to this. But part of being a Spurs fan is to also watch attractive football and the only way I can see this returning to our game is if we focus on the League, have a week to prepare the team on shape/formations. Basically I'd rather watch us play well in the league than play shite in EL, then draw another 10 games in PL.

He tends to play half of our strongest 11 & half youth/fringe which is the worst thing to do.
We would have to play our best 11 to win it.
So playing half of our first 11 just tires them out for no gain.

Either go for it & play our best side. Or use it to give the youngsters & fringe players some game time.
Not the in between option he goes for.
He's not taken a single cup competition seriously since he arrived, he's not going to start now.

Apart from the one he took seriously by getting to the League Cup Final.

I get the point though Eskimo, he has thrown a couple. The Scum game (but could be argued they did too as they fielded a 2nd string team, but it felt bad because it was them). No doubt we binned Dortmund (but the when looking to challenge for a league title it's 50/50 on was it right or wrong, I can even have an argument with myself over that decision, I was very disappointed with the side though I wanted to see how good we were). We put out a strong team against Palace (only person rested was Toby & Lloris) in the FA Cup and dominated them, hit the post at least twice with their keeper MoTM.

So I think in reality he has thrown 2 the CL, well the away game against Monaco (we were just shit in all the other games, with the strongest available team actually fielded). And the EL, both Dortmund games.
Personally, I fully supported him throwing the Dortmund game. The league was still within our grasp and it was a far greater prize, we had more chance of winning it, and we probably won't get another chance like that for 10+ years, whereas we could easily be in the EL knockout stage again quite soon. Three very good reasons IMO.

Yeah I know, who could forget that glorious evening our second string narrowly avoided extra time thanks to a last minute goal against Sheffield United. :pocheyes:

Proof in the pudding that nothing is ever enough.

Can't even enjoy the fact we got to a final. Just another reason to piss on everyone's chips.

Last edited:
I don't wanna sound like a petulant kid, but seriously what's the point of playing football if you don't want to be in certain competitions... WHO ARE WE to decide what we want to compete in, and what ones we don't?

Surely we should want to be in every competition we enter for, and have a go at them all... whether we win them or not is another matter.
But I know one thing, you definitely can't win a competition you aren't even in!

Having not won a Trophy of any kind for 8 years, and (if the 'Tin Pot Cup' brigade are to be believed) we haven't won anything of note since 1991, I'd say on that record alone, beggars can't be fucking choosers!

We're certainly not winning the CL any time soon... we'll have a good go at the PL i'm sure... but so will every other club who will want to make damn sure last season is never repeated (and because of that, last season was most definitely an opportunity missed for us) ...so that leaves the FA Cup or Europa League should we be arsed enough to qualify for it!)

I'd take either of those right now ta!
The one that will grate me is the FA cup last season. Losing to lowly Palace and to a goal from a Liverpool reject defender no less. That was a trophy for the taking. Shame it wasn't to be.
Poch says he'll take Europe seriously, if we get there, and I believe him.
Surely given his record with weakened teams in cup competitions a more prudent approach would be so wait and see if he does it. I don't have high confidence he will on exposed evidence.

I agree. Some of my most memorable times supporting the club are winning cup finals. We need to win, win, win. Our biggest weakness at present is not having enough players that score goals.
It's the old what would you prefer?
Top 4 or a cup?

I think I'd have to say a cup as we rarely win 1.
Also, after our poor CL performance, I wouldn't have missed it had we not qualified.

A cup win is far more likely than winning the CL or the title. So it makes sense to go for them.

But obviously levy & owners prefer top 4 for financial reasons

Would be Spursy to qualify for the Champions League, only to be knocked out in second easiest group possible but go on to win the Europa League.

But I'd take it.

Why have we got little chance of winning it? We would be one of the champ league teams falling into the 'lesser' competition at the knockout stage. We wouldn't have been through the boring and gruelling group matches.

He tends to play half of our strongest 11 & half youth/fringe which is the worst thing to do.
We would have to play our best 11 to win it.
So playing half of our first 11 just tires them out for no gain.

Either go for it & play our best side. Or use it to give the youngsters & fringe players some game time.
Not the in between option he goes for.
I always thought that. It was the same with Harry, though maybe he was slightly bolder in playing more youth/reserve players.

Back
Top Bottom