Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That may be Justin but just competing at the top level brings so much benefit to the club...mainly financially of course.
I was in 'Intersport' in my home town of Albi today and the only PL shirt on sale was Woolwich's...there's the French connection (Wenger) but we have a French connection
& a number of French speaking players also but we don't have the exposure in Europe that Woolwich do.

Thats a fair point, but nothing brings more to a club than winning a trophy. Thats glory, not qualifying for a competition that you have no chance of getting past the quater finals....i understand the benefits it brings but you cant put a cl qualification in the trophy cabinet. And our trophy cabinet door hasnt been open in a long time...

I didn't want to get too attached to Hugo, as I was convinced that he would be off at the beginning of this season. I also wasn't sure that he was a good choice for captain, due to both his position and that he didn't come over as particularly inspirational. However, in every aspect, he is absolutely key to our success - how many times has he made a crucial save that turns a match in our favour! Loved his interview and he completely fulfilled his captain's role in his support to Harry. May his reign continue.

Ok I'm going to piss into the wind at this point...
For me there are three trophies in modern European football that signify success:
The first is a team's respective league championship...in our case winning the EPL.
Second and third are the two European competitions.
These are the competitions that demand longevity of performance (if only to qualify) and are not simply decided on the 'luck of the draw' and other one-off situations that
influence the results of knock-out competitions.
Our player wage bill is currently hovering around the £100m mark and I refuse to accept that to win the League or FA Cup is sufficient recompense.
Lastly, if anybody thinks that the management of any sports team starts a new season without some sort of target in mind, then they are clearly 'out to lunch'.

A brilliant thing with the Pochettino reign is that many of our players seem to actually work on their weaknesses. Lloris is now quickly restarting play. Before, he was often holding on to the ball for too long when he could easily start a counter attack. He's edging closer and closer to that mysterious "world class" category.

A brilliant thing with the Pochettino reign is that many of our players seem to actually work on their weaknesses. Lloris is now quickly restarting play. Before, he was often holding on to the ball for too long when he could easily start a counter attack. He's edging closer and closer to that mysterious "world class" category.

That's a good point. He definitely has been getting the ball out faster and when he does restart play by kicking it isn't a completely wayward punt of the ball that ends up just giving possession back to the opponent like we used to see a few seasons ago.

I've continually said that I think that Lloris staying says the most about the mentality of our dressing room.

CVtR0WXWoAA57iM.jpg

Nice to see him smiling. He does come over as uber-serious most of the time, :llorisserious:which is fine during a game, but I would like to see a glimpse of his real personality now and again. I still love him though :love:

Hugo Lloris may not be a Tottenham Hotspur player right now had it not been for the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino. Speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, in a lengthy interview which mainly focused on France's Euro 2016 hopes, Lloris was asked about a failed moved to Manchester United last summer, and whether he regrets that a big transfer didn't come off.

Rather expertly taking the question away from Manchester United and making it generally more about his own experience with Tottenham, Lloris was quite honest and explained the London club hadn't been one he was happy with before the arrival of the new manager.

But Pochettino changed everything for the Frenchman, and Lloris explained to L'Equipe "I've flourished completely here. I can even say that since the arrival of Pochettino I found new benchmarks.

"My second season here was complicated, I had kept a certain level of performance but collectively there were too many gaps and it had been against the big teams. I had not felt a strong club, but rather an unstable one, with a coaching change in the middle of the season, just the opposite of what I like to see in football. I was actually asking myself questions until Pochettino arrived.

"Even when it was not working yet, I said: "Do not worry, we will get there." His speech was clear, we suddenly knew where we were going. With the quality of the workforce, and work ethic that is in training, there is no reason that we don't progress."

Lloris waxing lyrical about the Tottenham manager will be a joy to supporters of the club. It's clear that players enjoy working for Pochettino and for Lloris it's made him stop asking questions about his own future.

Hugo Lloris may not be a Tottenham Hotspur player right now had it not been for the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino. Speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, in a lengthy interview which mainly focused on France's Euro 2016 hopes, Lloris was asked about a failed moved to Manchester United last summer, and whether he regrets that a big transfer didn't come off.

Rather expertly taking the question away from Manchester United and making it generally more about his own experience with Tottenham, Lloris was quite honest and explained the London club hadn't been one he was happy with before the arrival of the new manager.

But Pochettino changed everything for the Frenchman, and Lloris explained to L'Equipe "I've flourished completely here. I can even say that since the arrival of Pochettino I found new benchmarks.

"My second season here was complicated, I had kept a certain level of performance but collectively there were too many gaps and it had been against the big teams. I had not felt a strong club, but rather an unstable one, with a coaching change in the middle of the season, just the opposite of what I like to see in football. I was actually asking myself questions until Pochettino arrived.

"Even when it was not working yet, I said: "Do not worry, we will get there." His speech was clear, we suddenly knew where we were going. With the quality of the workforce, and work ethic that is in training, there is no reason that we don't progress."

Lloris waxing lyrical about the Tottenham manager will be a joy to supporters of the club. It's clear that players enjoy working for Pochettino and for Lloris it's made him stop asking questions about his own future.

For me, this is one of the best pieces of insight I've heard in a long, long time. We all knew things were better under Poch, but to have one of our truly world-class players talk about how they are happy, not questioning their future with the club, and more importantly improving as a player, this is fantastic. We have always just assumed that we would regularly lose out on our top players at some point and that when they hit a certain level that they would start wondering about their next step forward, but this signals that we could be at a point where players don't see a reason to leave, or need something really special to make them go.

This is not to say that we couldn't lose some of them over time to ridiculous offers and whatnot, but this makes it a lot harder for us to lose them when they feel good about where they are at and that we are on the way up.

Back
Top Bottom