How will we score goals?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem with 2 up is that we have pumped so much money into this abundance of expensive midfielders, as AVB, Baldini and co saw 5 in the middle as the way to go. We are playing a system that matches the squad, rather than the players.

We just need to attack quicker - we do it so slowly that the defence have time to pass wriiten notes to each other explaining what our tactics are. We are so feeble near the goal that all those stats about "shots" are meaningless - most of our shots are woeful.

AVB seems to have a an anal strategy to carefully construct a goal with precise passing - rather than running fucking fast down the wings and whipping in crosses. It doesn't help that Lennon, Walker or Townsend can't cross (not sure about Lamela yet) so maybe that's the reason he uses congested middle of the field passing tactics. It's really shit to watch - and clearly fucking useless - so he'd better come up with something new.

I'm not going down the 'sack AVB' route - there's another thread on that. Its just not happening with big Rab up front, with AVB's tactics, but I'm at a loss to suggest our best forward line. Look at the players we have up there - not short of talent. What is our best attacking option?
For me.....................

Soldado remains doing what he is doing as the no:9. Eriksen plays a lttle higher up the pitch but still playing slightly deeper and to the right/Left of Soldado! Lamala should play deeper and be the out for the ball winning Sandro/Coupe. Feed the boy. His runs will draw the opposition, witch can be exploit the time and space for either Townsend or Lennon to open up back 4 formations. Allowing quick ball to Soldado! Ball stays through the middle with Lamala and Eriksen and the same out come will be received! All thin done in 3rd gear not the current 2nd!

In AVB I Trust! January, we will be bouncing around the top 5!

COYS!!

Lamela is a must start in the league; he was the only player with a hint of invention. One of Sandro and Capiue; after this hiding, I'd still stick with Sandro (or do first half Sandro, second half Capoue; better vertical penetration after the half when fatigue is more of a factor for the opposition). Paulinho on the bench for a good long break while Dembele comes back. Full backs and wingers to provide actual, honest-to-goodness width; so many times today there was a wide runner who could have continued the break and we turned inside, wasting this big expanse of pitch that Lennon or Lamela had to run into.

Also - practice shooting. It seems like we're playing as the scum of 3-4 years ago. We aren't willing to take a shot - ever! Just passing, passing, passing it sideways the entire time.

Is there a magic bullet solution to this? No. But AVB has to address each option. It isn't simply one area of the pitch but today shower exactly what could go wrong on every level. The keeper had a mare, the defence were slow and toothless, the full backs were neutralised when going forwards and out of position coming back, the midield's passing was abysmal and the forwards just didn't pounce on chances. The wingers, for their part, tried but were ignored.

I'm not going down the 'sack AVB' route - there's another thread on that. Its just not happening with big Rab up front, with AVB's tactics, but I'm at a loss to suggest our best forward line. Look at the players we have up there - not short of talent. What is our best attacking option?
For me I would like to see Lamala with a free role! Picking up balls from Sandro/Paulie ands running at and drawing players towards him! His out Eriksen has taken a more advanced position.Almost on the shoulder of Soldado. enabling him to play the shorter, quicke pass the the spianyard, which he thrives on! Whilst all this is going on Townsend switching from flank to flank!

COYS!!!

We just need to attack quicker - we do it so slowly that the defence have time to pass wriiten notes to each other explaining what our tactics are. We are so feeble near the goal that all those stats about "shots" are meaningless - most of our shots are woeful.

This. Just watched the highlights from Newcastle. The shots are weak and straight at the keeper, because the guy who finishes stands still and has very little chance of causing any harm. For us to score from those kind of attacks, we need either a moment of brilliance/luck, or for the keeper/defense to make a huge mistake.

Souness was spot on when he said this isn't a Tottenham team. I can't remember the last time I saw a Spurs side that was so predictable and lacked pace and creativity game after game. Lennon and Walker were devastating when we played with pace. Lennon left AC Milan defenders for dead on the counter at the San Siro and I can't see that sort of thing happening now. Everything is too over-thought and methodical.

I wouldn't mind seeing Andros on the left and Lennon on the right with Soldado and Ade up front feeding off the crosses they manage to get in. But as someone else has already said, we have to play a system that allows us to use the ridiculous amount of centre midfielders we've got.

We haven't had a game with consistent crossing from the left side since Rose went down. Without crossing from the left side we lose inverted wingers. With Rose + Walker crossing to Soldado and Holtby/Eriksen + Lamela/Townsend + Chadli/Siggy/Lennon looking to slip in passes or shoot as they run diagonally. The system is too complicated. I don't think Soldado is perfect for our system, but there is absolutely no reason for him to be at least decent in our system.

Soldado looks totally lost and without confidence. We don't have any promising strikers coming up AFAIK (I don't consider Kane a striker), so I hope Soldado plays in Europa 2-3 games and starts scoring.

In other news ... Athletico Madrid beat Getafe 7-0.

My point ... is that David Villa scored 2 in that game. Even in his tender age of 31 yrs and being their second choice striker (after Costa) ... he is still scoring goals and racking up assists.

He woulda been perfect; the exactamente type of striker we needed.
I really wish we had fought harder to convince and get him.

In other news ... Athletico Madrid beat Getafe 7-0.

My point ... is that David Villa scored 2 in that game. Even in his tender age of 31 yrs and being their second choice striker (after Costa) ... he is still scoring goals and racking up assists.

He woulda been perfect; the exactamente type of striker we needed.
I really wish we had fought harder to convince and get him.

Villa fits our system much better than Soldado, imo. Villa, seemingly, was higher on our list than Soldado, but it didn't work out. No reason for Soldado not to work out here though.

Villa fits our system much better than Soldado, imo. Villa, seemingly, was higher on our list than Soldado, but it didn't work out. No reason for Soldado not to work out here though.

I really hope so ... but I just can't see it.
Believe me, I know he's good and all ... and I do want him to do good here; (who doesn't?).

In the last @spursofficial video of the shooting challenge, you could tell how hard Soldado is trying.

But man, if he is ever to click at Spurs ... something has to change.

the formation is not the problem whether it's 442 433 4231 does not fuckn matter

the problem is how slow we move the ball when we win it back devoid of any type of dynamic or adventurous rhythm or style

we're trying to play like Barca with possession over everything but Barca have the players to repeatedly cut through a packed defence, we simply don't

the formation is not the problem whether it's 442 433 4231 does not fuckn matter

the problem is how slow we move the ball when we win it back devoid of any type of dynamic or adventurous rhythm or style

we're trying to play like Barca with possession over everything but Barca have the players to repeatedly cut through a packed defence, we simply don't

We used to...
:baletroll:
modric.png
*insert Modric here* :vdvcry:

I agree, it doesn't matter the formation but with build up play. I said this in another thread, but if you look at the teams at the top of the table, they are primarily playing one touch football. Their midfields travel from back to front as a group, with only a few yards between them...we need to implement that style. Sandro, Paulinho, Holtby and Eriksen are quick enough to pull it off.

Lamela needs to play on the right. For 30 million he starts until its proven that it was a failed investment. Townsend/Lennon on the left with the sole duty to whip in crosses or look for the fast pass across the face of goal.

Also...maybe it wouldn't hurt to have Dempsey back on loan...at least he scored some goals..regardless of how they came about the ball went in the net. All I am saying is...if its the 65th minute and we are at 0-0 on a cold February night, Dempsey would be one hell of an impact sub...as would Defoe (when he is on form).

Obviously there are more things to do...like bring in Heyneckes as a "consulting" coach...its great that AVB is so young and has gotten this far with a short time under Mou, but maybe he needs alittle bit more learning from an experienced and world class manager just to take him (and us) to the next proverbial level.

Back
Top Bottom