Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watch a youtube compilation of our goals last season, you won't be impressed. Our strikers have very little to work with
Yeah we aren't the sort of team who creates chance after chance for our strikers.
kane would get a lot more chances if he played for someone like Woolwich. Thank god he doesn't!

Harry's suffering with a lack of confidence at the moment it looks like, most strikers have phases of it at some time.
Unfortunately it's coinciding with other players being below par.
It's three games in and we're unbeaten.

Watch a youtube compilation of our goals last season, you won't be impressed. Our strikers have very little to work with
Does that hold up?

Last season we had the highest shots on target/total shots with 250/477 respectively.

Squawka Statspack | Premier League stats, league tables and form guides

Now, some of those could be wild shots from outside the box in frustration, but I doubt our numbers would be that high unless we were actually creating a lot of chances for our attackers.

Indeed, by comparison Man City only had 440 shots in total.

Does that hold up?

Last season we had the highest shots on target/total shots with 250/477 respectively.

Squawka Statspack | Premier League stats, league tables and form guides

Now, some of those could be wild shots from outside the box in frustration, but I doubt our numbers would be that high unless we were actually creating a lot of chances for our attackers.

Indeed, by comparison Man City only had 440 shots in total.
I think good chances are what counts.
Just from watching matches you can see we don't makes as many good chances as teams like Woolwich.

I think good chances are what counts.
Just from watching matches you can see we don't makes as many good chances as teams like Woolwich.
I'm just wary of confirmation bias. We're naturally going to be more frustrated watching Spurs for the full 90 (especially being so emotionally invested) than seeing Woolwich's highlight reels on Match of the Day.

Plus our recent 'iffy' performances aren't putting us in the most optimistic mood!

Before the last two games of last season, I think we were creating lots of good chances.

I get what your saying, that does seem to be the impression at times. We're not as prolific as, for example, Liverpool when Suarez was up front, creating 5-10 clear cut chances per game. Also as team we tend to share the goals around - Toby, Rose, Alli, etc. But like I've said before I don't think we've quite clicked creatively up front as yet, there's just that something missing. Let's see what happens this year.

Yeah we aren't the sort of team who creates chance after chance for our strikers.
kane would get a lot more chances if he played for someone like Woolwich. Thank god he doesn't!

Absolute nonsense:

Team | Stats Rankings Table | Squawka.com

We where the top team in the league for key passes and chances created last season, and after a similar slow start.

Doesn't tell a complete picture but If anything we weren't clinical enough.

Last edited:
Absolute nonsense:

We where the top team in the league for key passes and chances created last season, and after a similar slow start.

You do realize that a "chance created" is just a pass that leads to a shot, right? It's some very flawed statistics and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Watching our games you'll see we have some serious problems offensively

Look at the goals Kane scored last season, look how little the 3 behind him contributed to his goals. It's really impressive, and a testament to just how good he is, that he managed 31 goals last season. This is why I'm furious with Poch and Levy, Sissoko won't add anything to our attack

Look at the goals Kane scored last season, look how little the 3 behind him contributed to his goals. It's really impressive, and a testament to just how good he is, that he managed 31 goals last season. This is why I'm furious with Poch and Levy, Sissoko won't add anything to our attack

He doesn't score many laid on a plate easy chances. A lot are half chances or goals he made himself.
He would score a lot more if he had a team with more creativity. That's just logical.

& I agree about some using a chance stat as an argument. We are talking about good chances.
A lot of chance stats would count an open goal as the same as a long range shot on your weaker foot with 2 big CBs charging you down. Also with the ball taking a bobble just as you strike it.

scott scott and The Dane The Dane honestly, they are some bizarre arguments that you are making that aren't backed up by any of the available evidence at all.

We took the most shots in the league last season with the second most from within the penalty area and we were the second highest scorers.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Now, obviously that alone doesn't say a lot about the quality of chances we create. But, I'm afraid that you're also wrong when you say we don't create as good a quality chances as other teams. In terms of 'Expected Goals' which measures how many goals a team should score relative to the quality of the chances they create we were second in the league behind Woolwich, indicating that the chances we created were of teh second best quality in the league.

EPL Advanced Statistics

Next, I believe you were lamenting the quality of our AM options and one of you compared it to Woolwich. But our most regular AM combination of Eriken, Alli and Lamela provided a combined 31 assists and created a combined 244 chances. Arsenals most regular combination, on the other hand, of Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey provided a combined 27 assists and created a combined 243 chances.

So yeah, there's really no evidence whatsoever that we are really poor offensively when you actually consider a larger sample size than just a few weeks. We might be on a poor run at the moment, but we were one of the best attacking and most creative sides in the league last season, if not the best in both categories. In this case, the last few games provide the exception, not the rule.

scott scott and The Dane The Dane honestly, they are some bizarre arguments that you are making that aren't backed up by any of the available evidence at all.

We took the most shots in the league last season with the second most from within the penalty area and we were the second highest scorers.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Now, obviously that alone doesn't say a lot about the quality of chances we create. But, I'm afraid that you're also wrong when you say we don't create as good a quality chances as other teams. In terms of 'Expected Goals' which measures how many goals a team should score relative to the quality of the chances they create we were second in the league behind Woolwich, indicating that the chances we created were of teh second best quality in the league.

EPL Advanced Statistics

Next, I believe you were lamenting the quality of our AM options and one of you compared it to Woolwich. But our most regular AM combination of Eriken, Alli and Lamela provided a combined 31 assists and created a combined 244 chances. Arsenals most regular combination, on the other hand, of Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey provided a combined 27 assists and created a combined 243 chances.

So yeah, there's really no evidence whatsoever that we are really poor offensively when you actually consider a larger sample size than just a few weeks. We might be on a poor run at the moment, but we were one of the best attacking and most creative sides in the league last season, if not the best in both categories. In this case, the last few games provide the exception, not the rule.
It's not a knee-jerk reaction on the basis of a few weeks, I've been saying this for a long time

Absolute nonsense:

The slow start last season was only in terms of results. In terms of chances created we had many more than the first 3 games of this season. This season though, we've gotten better results.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction on the basis of a few weeks, I've been saying this for a long time
Fair enough mate. I'm just pointing out that it might be more perception than reality because the number and the quality of the chances that we create are actually some of the best in the league.

Back
Top Bottom