Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not a knee-jerk reaction on the basis of a few weeks, I've been saying this for a long time
We had a great attack last season. Our core players haven't changed, and I don't think anybody in our team that we relied on last season has been "found out". Besides our last day collapse, I don't think that any game I saw last season suggested that any opponents had really figured us out, and we really tore into a lot of the teams that had settled into their old routine of sitting deep and trying to hit us on the counter, which had worked really well against us in previous seasons.

We're definitely not back to the heights in form and play that we saw last season, but we're still off to a better start all the same. Both Kane and Eriksen have always been slow starters. Sure there are some tired legs, but a lot of that stuff is overrated as well, just something for the media to prattle on about because most of the talking heads are too dense to talk about anything of substance. After just a couple of weeks recuperation, any remaining "tiredness" or burnout in the likes of Kane is purely mental, if he's not carrying an actual injury. It's Pochettino's job to get him going again, and he will.

It infuriates me when the talking heads say how he played like shit for England when he's literally cut off from service from the players behind him (read: Rooney). If your striker gets no service how the fuck can he score? Yet the blame falls on him?

It infuriates me when the talking heads say how he played like shit for England when he's literally cut off from service from the players behind him (read: Rooney). If your striker gets no service how the fuck can he score? Yet the blame falls on him?
Why does it bother you so much?

Why does it bother you so much?
Because it's blatantly obvious what the issue is and instead of putting blame on Rooney, they pick Kane as an easy target. I hate sports talking heads and add that with me being a Spurs supporter, it just pisses me off.

They mentioned how it was Rooney's fault why Kane is getting no service on Football Weekly yesterday and that was nice to hear. But everyone else though, well Rooney is just untouchable.

I
scott scott and The Dane The Dane honestly, they are some bizarre arguments that you are making that aren't backed up by any of the available evidence at
Strangely, I think both sides of this debate are correct. Over much of the season, esp after Christmas, we were climbing nicely and clearly the best team in the league. We had shit spells however, esp the last month. Stats over the season don't fairly show that right now we are not making enough good chances and service to Harry has been really really poor

You do realize that a "chance created" is just a pass that leads to a shot, right? It's some very flawed statistics and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Watching our games you'll see we have some serious problems offensively

I watched a lot of Spurs last season so there is no need to patronising just because i disagree with you

What about joint second number of assists and second highest goals scored full stop, would they be as high in an "un-creative" team. Are they not indicators of a team that makes chances?

I would say your argument would have stood up under AVB where we relied on Bale for most of our game winning goals. But not now in a team that had 14 different goal scorers? With 6 players scoring 7 or more.

Certainly there where a number of games where we looked a bit flat and devoid of ideas, especially when Eriksen was off his game, but that happens to all teams, even the best ones. Even Barcelona cant play like Barcelona all the time. We also have to contend with at least 50% of the teams we play sitting behind the ball nowadays.

Could we have done with the addition of a flair player who can win games with a moment of individual brilliance. Most certainly.... so could most teams. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees.

Look at the goals Kane scored last season, look how little the 3 behind him contributed to his goals. It's really impressive, and a testament to just how good he is, that he managed 31 goals last season. This is why I'm furious with Poch and Levy, Sissoko won't add anything to our attack

This is more reflective of where Kane likes to pick the ball up is it not? Edge of the box, make a yard, pinpoint into the bottom corner, that's his game?

scott scott and The Dane The Dane
In terms of 'Expected Goals' which measures how many goals a team should score relative to the quality of the chances they create we were second in the league behind Woolwich, indicating that the chances we created were of teh second best quality in the league.

That method is still an opinion not a fact.
Who decides whether you should score from a particular chance? It is all open to opinion & variables.
I think you can read too much in to stats.
Also if you showed us some of the chances that the stat machine says we should have scored, I bet some of us would disagree on that.

Because it's blatantly obvious what the issue is and instead of putting blame on Rooney, they pick Kane as an easy target. I hate sports talking heads and add that with me being a Spurs supporter, it just pisses me off.

They mentioned how it was Rooney's fault why Kane is getting no service on Football Weekly yesterday and that was nice to hear. But everyone else though, well Rooney is just untouchable.
To be fair, both the Mirror and the BBC write ups said Rooney played too deep and left harry isolated.

Did you see big Sam's bizarre comment that it wasn't his job to tell Rooney where to play?? Effectively he just said it was up to Rooney to play wherever he wants (goalie, any votes?) and said England has no manager. Total bullshit. Oh wait. This is England and we just appointed All-a-Dick

That method is still an opinion not a fact.
Who decides whether you should score from a particular chance? It is all open to opinion & variables.
I think you can read too much in to stats.
Also if you showed us some of the chances that the stat machine says we should have scored, I bet some of us would disagree on that.
Nah it's not. It deals with extensive statistical modelling and probabilities based on goals scored from a particular area over an extended period of time.

It's certainly not perfect, but it does give an indication of the quality of the chances that are created, and it's certainly something I would trust more than someone's perception, which is subject to all different kinds of bias and a fallible memory.

You do realize that a "chance created" is just a pass that leads to a shot, right? It's some very flawed statistics and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Watching our games you'll see we have some serious problems offensively

Yeah, stats can be revealing for some things but should be taken with a large dose of salt. The proof is in the watching in this instance.

To be fair, both the Mirror and the BBC write ups said Rooney played too deep and left harry isolated.

Did you see big Sam's bizarre comment that it wasn't his job to tell Rooney where to play?? Effectively he just said it was up to Rooney to play wherever he wants (goalie, any votes?) and said England has no manager. Total bullshit. Oh wait. This is England and we just appointed All-a-Dick

Sam is an old fashion coach that gives respect to big names too much.Allowing Rooney free hand, recalling Terry etc.. Managers like Harry Redknapp, McClaren etc would have done the same. Glenn Hoddle is the only high profile English coach that leaves me with an impression that he has a believe in a certain way of playing. The older coaches are great motivators but can't catch up tactics wise.

Today was EXACTLY the game he needed...
Liking the crew cut too... looks like he means business!

(has Dier also had his hair cut yet or what?)

That goal was very much needed if for nothing more that getting the media off his back.

Hope he kicks on now. Really wanted Janssen to notch when he came on too. Unfortunately for him we took our foot off the gas by that point.

The fact that I had to scroll down and eventually found this thread on page 2 says everything.

He doesn't even look like the same player. Last year defenders would contest the ball and simply bounce off of him, he was simply too strong for people to handle. He could have his back to goal and he'd barely ever lose the ball - part of the reason Alli had such a good season was down to the partnership he had with Kane. That hasn't existed this season so far.

Shots have been wayward, he looks slow, losing most physical contests, passing has been a bit wayward or no ambition with them.

Not sure what the solution is, but he can't keep getting a spot with poor performances. Sure, you can argue "but he's a slow starter", but that slow start is costing us quite a lot of points. Can we really be affording to lose 15+ points before he gets up to speed?

The key question for me is this - Is he low on match sharpness, thereby needing as much game time as possible, or does he need a rest? I'm still not sure which it is.

Back
Top Bottom