glory, glory tottenham hotspur?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

thedutchman said:
Am hoping for a semi-final against the Ars* so we can bang out this -

We're off to Wembley 'cos we beat the Ars***l
We're off to Wembley 'cos we beat the Ars***l
In the North London Cup they was only runners up
And they won't win f**k all up at Ars***l (had to amend that last bit to bring it up to date)

Not sure of the name, but thinking "Victory Song"? I was only 7.

OH MY FUCKING DAYS I'M OLD!!! I remember this like it was yesterday...

Remember Simon Mayo playing the victory song on his breakfast show the morning after the semi, was hungover sat on a bench on kx platform 8 dry heaving but happy.. got a vinyl copy in the loft with the capital gold Jonathon Pearce commentry mixed in.

There are a number of different ideas about where and when GGH (GGTH) and something I read recently might shed some light on its history. A section from Julie Wench's "The Biography of Tottenham Hotspur" (great book by the by) caught my eye.

A short excerpt:

In the first round leg [of their first European competition], Spurs were due to play Gornik Zabrze in Katowice [Poland].....

And on the night of the match, Gornik played the best football in Katowice. Spurs were 4-0 down within an hour, though Jones and Dyson scored near the end to make it 4-2. Smith and Mackay threw themselves in the fray so robustly that afterwards the Polish coach observed that Spurs were "no angels." In consequence, three Spurs fans dressed as angels (creative use of bedsheets was involved) for the return leg, when they paraded around the touchline with placards saying, "Rejoice This Is The Night of Vengeance", "Glory Be To Shining White Hart Lane", "Who heard of Dirty Spurs?", and "And It Came To Pass: Jones to White to Smudger: Goal."

...Gornik scored first... but then a Blanchflower penalty, a Jones hat-trick, two goals from Dyson and White made it 8-1 on the night, 10-5 on aggregate. That night in September was the first of the glory nights of European football at White Hart Lane, the birth of "Glory Glory Hallelujah" as the fans, inspired by the angelic demonstration, burst spontaneously into song. The fans made the biggest noise in the south. It became the Tottenham hymn.

I recognize that this could be a fairly romanticized history. Welch doesn't reference many sources. And it is quite possible that she's just connecting dots without a concrete source. Despite that, I find this piece of history (ill-remembered or not) says quite a bit about the core of the club's and fan's identity.

Two more quotes:
It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high… so high in fact, that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.

It’s magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we’re not in Europe… We’re nothing. We’re nothing.

There are a number of different ideas about where and when GGH (GGTH) and something I read recently might shed some light on its history. A section from Julie Wench's "The Biography of Tottenham Hotspur" (great book by the by) caught my eye.

A short excerpt:

I recognize that this could be a fairly romanticized history. Welch doesn't reference many sources. And it is quite possible that she's just connecting dots without a concrete source. Despite that, I find this piece of history (ill-remembered or not) says quite a bit about the core of the club's and fan's identity.

Two more quotes:
europe_instory2.jpg

btw, it's supposed to be ""glory, glory hallelujah".

my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane,
my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane, and the spurs go marching on.
glory, glory hallelujah.
glory, glory hallelujah.
and the spurs go marching on.
ZoC ZoC was the nuts where has he been got to come back with AberdeenYid AberdeenYid for the run in

cheers, fella. i'm around and do check in every now and again... and to laugh at gooners... you'll be hearing more from me soon, when we release 'Memory Lane' the tottenham documentary i been working on with young flav.... it's only a month or so away....

cheers, fella. i'm around and do check in every now and again... and to laugh at gooners... you'll be hearing more from me soon, when we release 'Memory Lane' the tottenham documentary i been working on with young flav.... it's only a month or so away....
Look forward to it don't be a stranger

COYS

Later verses were added. If I recall correctly -

We'll go storming into Europe,
With the Ghost and Jimmy Greaves
We'll go storming into Europe
Bring the Spanish to their Knees
Oh, you can keep your West ham
We don't want their OBEs
Cos......... the spurrrrs...go marching on.

The Merseyside will tremble at the tackle of Dave McKay
All Manchester will wonder, when Robbo* starts to fly
Cos we're the mighty Hotspur
And there's nobody can deny
That.....the Spurs ....... go ........ marching on.

*John Robertson

Christ, I'm old. :coys:

when did the tradition start to play "glory, glory tottenham hotspur", chas & dave's mangling of spurs' famous anthem, at the end of winning home matches?

im(not so)ho, this is sacrilege, and another example of how the people running the club are two-bob who don't really appreciate our history...
QUOTE="ZoC, post: 31685, member: 497"]btw, it's supposed to be ""glory, glory hallelujah".

my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane, and the spurs go marching on.
glory, glory hallelujah.
glory, glory hallelujah.
and the spurs go marching on.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was 'cocks' of White Hart Lane. That's what I used to sing in the 60s and prefer that in spite of the slang double entendre. When did it stop? The memory of a full house singing that slowly still gives me chills. It was a religious experience. Makes me mad when they sing 'When the Spurs go marching in'. That is Southampton's song. (Saints.)

Back
Top Bottom