glory, glory tottenham hotspur?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

when did the tradition start to play "glory, glory tottenham hotspur", chas & dave's mangling of spurs' famous anthem, at the end of winning home matches?

im(not so)ho, this is sacrilege, and another example of how the people running the club are two-bob who don't really appreciate our history...

ZoC said:
when did the tradition start to play "glory, glory tottenham hotspur", chas & dave's mangling of spurs' famous anthem, at the end of winning home matches?

im(not so)ho, this is sacrilege, and another example of how the people running the club are two-bob who don't really appreciate our history...
Been doing it for as long as I've been going for over 25 years.

Just put this in the other thread but it's probably better here.

I know what you mean, one of my pet hates is when Glory Glory gets sung and you can hear that half the people singing are singing Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur instead of Glory Glory Hallelujah. Dunno why, just winds me up. Same with when people speed up Oh When the Spurs too quickly.

btw, it's supposed to be ""glory, glory hallelujah".

my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane,
my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane,
my eyes have seen the glory of the cups at white hart lane, and the spurs go marching on.
glory, glory hallelujah.
glory, glory hallelujah.
and the spurs go marching on.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
ZoC said:

Been doing it for as long as I've been going for over 25 years.

2012 - 25 = 1987...

chas & dave produced that abortion of a rendition in around 82, 83... must have happened sometime between 83 and 87, then. and the philistines in the crowd just went along with it.

before then, laddie, we sang "hallelujah" 'cos that woz our song... and that woz our history.

Smolik said:
Just put this in the other thread but it's probably better here.

I know what you mean, one of my pet hates is when Glory Glory gets sung and you can hear that half the people singing are singing Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur instead of Glory Glory Hallelujah. Dunno why, just winds me up. Same with when people speed up Oh When the Spurs too quickly.

i'd happily blow up the tannoy system whenever they play it. and shoot anyone who sings along with "tottenham hotspur" instead of "hallelujah".

YidoBuckler said:
And fuck Man United for stealing this and adopting it as one of their own songs.

They also released it as an FA Cup Final single in the early 90's. It got played at a school disco when I must have been about 10 and I threw an empty panda pop bottle at the DJ in protest. Proper lad.
:nawty:

YidoBuckler said:
And fuck Man United for stealing this and adopting it as one of their own songs.

cunts! but we're bigger cunts for giving them the idea, by singing "glory, glory tottenham hotspur".

how about

"glory, glory leicester city"
"glory glory tranmere rovers"
"glory glory bayern munich"
"glory, glory barcelona"

we fucking opened the floodgates with our stupidity!

The original Glory Glory name checked the entire double winning side, I need to have that on mp3.

Also, I must have McNamara's Band, the version we play at half-time, not that fucking donkey shit Evergreens version.

don't get me wrong. i got nothing against chas & dave. "ossie's dream" is legendary and it's great we still sing it!

but they f*cked up big-style with "glory, glory tottenham hotspur".

ZoC said:
don't get me wrong. i got nothing against chas & dave. "ossie's dream" is legendary and it's great we still sing it!

Might've been a copyright thing.

Anyway, I'm in full agreement: It's hallelujah you cunts!

Also agree vehemently with whoever above mentioned the speeding up of "oh when the Spurs". It needs to be sang SLOW AS FUCK.

Smolik said:
YidoBuckler said:

They also released it as an FA Cup Final single in the early 90's. It got played at a school disco when I must have been about 10 and I threw an empty panda pop bottle at the DJ in protest. Proper lad.
:nawty:

"Love Panda Pop, me, proper geezer!"

Did dirty Leeds Leeds Leeds start singing their version in the 60s too?

Agree with the thread, Hallelujah sounds infinitely better. A non-Spurs mate of mine came to the Lane once and remarked how impressed he was by hearing so many people singing that song, like worshipping at church. Quality!

frontwheel said:
ZoC said:

no, it woz a sloppy-shite thing.

"glory, glory hallelujah" is an american hymn written in 1861 (according to wiki), 21 years before thfc was established.

anything published before 1923 is automatically in the public domain.

S.L.R said:
A non-Spurs mate of mine came to the Lane once and remarked how impressed he was by hearing so many people singing that song, like worshipping at church. Quality!

exactly.... there's a religious quality to "glory, glory halelujah".

ZoC said:
frontwheel said:
ZoC said:

"glory, glory hallelujah" is an american hymn written in 1861 (according to wiki), 21 years before thfc was established.

I mean a copyright/royalties thing for C&D, but I know FA about the music industry, so that's probably just as stupid.

ZoC said:
frontwheel said:
ZoC said:

Thanks for that, good trivia.

Back
Top Bottom