glory, glory tottenham hotspur?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ollieXcore said:
I love the Star Wars entrance, better than bloody Profokiev or Z-Cars. I agree about Glory, Glory Hallelujah, it's the one song that feels ours; "It's A Grand Old Team" - Everton/Celtic, "Oh When The Spurs" - just about every team ever.

I assume Man Utd nicked it off us then... rather than the other way round??

Macnamara's Band is the one 'odd' song that is non-football related, but is totally ours and ours alone...

I guess Stoke can claim a similar phenomenon, but at least ours isn't a fucking Tom Jones karaoke classic!!

I'm sure I can remember some debate on another forum waaay back where someone said Celtic or some other shit club was using Glory Glory way before either us or Manure?

To be fair when we sing it we sing Glory, Glory Hallelujah. Not sure I've heard anyone substituting it for 'Tottenham Hotspur'. We sing 'Spurs go marching in' more than Hallelujah though.

Hibs were the first in the 50s. We were in the 60s. Utd was 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_Glory_(football_chant)

spooky said:
To be fair when we sing it we sing Glory, Glory Hallelujah. Not sure I've heard anyone substituting it for 'Tottenham Hotspur'. We sing 'Spurs go marching in' more than Hallelujah though.
At Champions League games last season, you'd hear Tottenham Hotspur more than Hallelujah. :wall:

Dicko said:
I'm sure I can remember some debate on another forum waaay back where someone said Celtic or some other shit club was using Glory Glory way before either us or Manure?

Celtic sing It's a Grand Old Team... which is actually called the Celtic Song. We sing it, and so do Everton.

Thelonious said:
spooky said:
At Champions League games last season, you'd hear Tottenham Hotspur more than Hallelujah. :wall:

BAN THEM FROM ATTENDING

ZoC said:
don't be so sensitive.
Sensitive? Moi? :gio:

Seriously, though, my first match was the opener of the '86/'87 season. They played the Chas n Dave version when the teams CAME OUT out and did so up until the Star Wars type music fairly recently. I reckon they started it in the '82/'83 season, as the song was the FA Cup final song for '82.

So, they've been playing it for many years. Maybe nearly 30.

However, like others, I was always confused why they played it after a draw. Very odd.

spooky said:
Thelonious said:
spooky said:

BAN THEM FROM ATTENDING

that's a f*cking great idea.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
ZoC said:
don't be so sensitive.

Seriously, though, my first match was the opener of the '86/'87 season. They played the Chas n Dave version when the teams CAME OUT out and did so up until the Star Wars type music fairly recently. I reckon they started it in the '82/'83 season, as the song was the FA Cup final song for '82.

I think you'll find it was 'Tottenham-Tottenham' (No one can stop 'em) ...and I refer my learn'ed friend to exhibit 'A' below;

[youtube][/youtube]

Call the next witness... what say you, Miss Rosie47?

OK, so maybe it was a 'double A side' I dunno... but I'm pretty sure 'Glory-Glory' wasn't the 'Offish' Cup Final song.

Case dismissed m'lud!

Last edited by a moderator:
1882 said:
and, while I'm at it, may I say it's not just us who are guilty... the music to cater for the newbie plastics who 'poison' our game are visible at many grounds nowadays who also insist on playing such pre-match 'over-dramatic/showbiz/YouTube generation' guff... "Oooh, look at me, I made asoccerfootball montage and put it to some dramatic film music that has nothing whatsoever to do with our club... aren't I clever Mummy?"
At my local ground, among the changes they instituted in 2010 (after canceling season tickets for all supporters who sat behind the goals) was commissioning an "anthem" for the club based on "Go West."

Totally fake and plastic, yet at the last match I went to (in Dec), it was the pre-match sing along to this anthem that generated the most atmosphere that evening. Says a lot, imo.

:vdv:

1882 said:
ZoC said:
don't be so sensitive.

I think you'll find it was 'Tottenham-Tottenham' (No one can stop 'em) ...and I refer my learn'ed friend to exhibit 'A' below;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8jAMBrVZM[/youtube]

Call the next witness... what say you, Miss Rosie47?

OK, so maybe it was a 'double A side' I dunno... but I'm pretty sure 'Glory-Glory' wasn't the 'Offish' Cup Final song.

Case dismissed m'lud!
Just looked. It was the b-side to Ossie's Dream in '81. So they might have been playing it at WHL since then.

The point is, they've been playing it at WHL for 30 years.

Thelonious said:
spooky said:

Part-time fans wouldn't know this T.

:akabusi:

You're right about too much music. Anyone at Wembley for the League Cup win against Chelsea remember the music starting after about two minutes? There we were singing spurs song and some muppet blasts out Queen or some such rubbish over the tannoy. Bugger off and let us celebrate with spurs songs, not generic rubbish.

Just looked. It was the b-side to Ossie's Dream in '81. So they might have been playing it at WHL since then.

The point is, they've been playing it at WHL for 30 years.

Good point, well made!

I reckon most Spurs fans (including the genuine ones) are still divided between singing 'Hallelujah' and 'Tottenham Hotspur'... personally, I've a soft spot for whatever song mentions the GLORIOUS NAME OF OUR PROUD CLUB JA? as many times as possible... but I do realise this is an '80s aberration that has filtered down to todays' generation...

There are so many GREAT Spurs songs that unite us and set us apart from other fans... I love 'Kaboul is on fire' ...and as for the slow 'Oh When the Spurs'...!! Wow-wah-woo-wah... I realise it started as Southampton's song, sorry 'bout that Saints fans, but it's most certainly OUR S-L-O-W song now!
...and while we're at it. Stoke can fuck off with their Pikey Karaoke version!!!

It's just a shame some of the Spurs songs have let us down recently...
I refer of course to Ledley's 'various' songs... surely ANYTHING'S better than mentioning Sol Campbell or John Terry in the same fucking SENTENCE as Ledley's name...?

GOD SAVE OUR LEDLEY KING!

The campaign starts HERE!!!

Smolik said:
Just put this in the other thread but it's probably better here.

I know what you mean, one of my pet hates is when Glory Glory gets sung and you can hear that half the people singing are singing Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur instead of Glory Glory Hallelujah. Dunno why, just winds me up. Same with when people speed up Oh When the Spurs too quickly.

100% this on both counts. People who try to "finish" Oh When the Spurs too quickly deserve stoning as well.

I'll also add people who end Glory Glory with "when the Spurs go marching on on on" < these people can fuck off to Man Utd

Aleksic said:
You're right about too much music. Anyone at Wembley for the League Cup win against Chelsea remember the music starting after about two minutes? There we were singing spurs song and some muppet blasts out Queen or some such rubbish over the tannoy. Bugger off and let us celebrate with spurs songs, not generic rubbish.

Can. Of. Worms.

In '99 they played all manner of old Spurs songs after the final whistle - remember that being amazing. Was expecting the same in 2008...we got Queen and Hi-Ho fucking Silver Lining or some other such generic shite...

Am hoping for a semi-final against the Ars* so we can bang out this -

We're off to Wembley 'cos we beat the Ars***l
We're off to Wembley 'cos we beat the Ars***l
In the North London Cup they was only runners up
And they won't win f**k all up at Ars***l (had to amend that last bit to bring it up to date)

Not sure of the name, but thinking "Victory Song"? I was only 7.

Back
Top Bottom