Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't forget before we get to the group games we need to WIN the playoff's.
Sure play the kids, but only after we are clearly going to win.
Since we started qualifying for Europe again in 2006, we've recorded the following results at this stage:
2-0 vs Slavia Prague
7-2 vs Anorthosis Famagusta
3-2 vs Wisla Krakow (Under Ramos at the start of the "2 points from 8 games" season where we were truly shit)
5-0 vs Hearts
8-0 vs Dinamo Tblisi

Most of those with a team of rotation players/kids. We should be fine playing them from the first leg.

Last edited:
Moldova and Ukraine last season? Probably Israel this time around then.

Estoril or Nacional from Portugal (Madeira) or one of the Germans would be good. Wouldn't mind a couple of days in Cyprus in September either...

Personally, i'm sick to the back teeth of the Europa Twating League.
Yes it's a trophy and yes it's European football but these Thursday/Sunday kick-offs are spoiling the enire season for me.
So many Sunday games plays a massive part in the atmosphere decline over the past 3 seasons.
it's just not the same.
You notice a massive influx of tourists on the Sunday games, they have no interest in the game, just taking pictures of each other in the ground.
I really wish we had a season away from it and had a good league run like Liverpool did last season.
I will still go and watch the occassional game in the EL, the games themselves are not the reason I dislike it.
I still can't see why it can't be wed/sat like the CL. it's not as if the games clash with Sky or itv etc.
The only criterea we would have to watch is that we dont play at home the same night as Woolwich.
Other than that what's the issue?

Personally, i'm sick to the back teeth of the Europa Twating League.
Yes it's a trophy and yes it's European football but these Thursday/Sunday kick-offs are spoiling the enire season for me.
So many Sunday games plays a massive part in the atmosphere decline over the past 3 seasons.
it's just not the same.
You notice a massive influx of tourists on the Sunday games, they have no interest in the game, just taking pictures of each other in the ground.
I really wish we had a season away from it and had a good league run like Liverpool did last season.
I will still go and watch the occassional game in the EL, the games themselves are not the reason I dislike it.
I still can't see why it can't be wed/sat like the CL. it's not as if the games clash with Sky or itv etc.
The only criterea we would have to watch is that we dont play at home the same night as Woolwich.
Other than that what's the issue?

TV Contracts. All the lot paying to show the Europa know they'll get less audience if it clashes with the UCL.

If the games are on the same time as the CL, then UEFA (and the TV companies that may show these games) wouldn't be able to command the same advertising revenue as currently.

Money talks.

You are probably right but, the tournament is ridiculed for being on a Thursday, it is not taken seriously due to the days it's played.
The organisors should look at the attendances for the majority of the games and ask questions as to why so many grounds are three quarters empty.
Moving it to a Wednesday would improve the credibility of the tournament.

Another thing the Organisors should consider is that if we have to play on a Sunday, my Mrs always wants to go shopping on the Saturday.. i bet they haven't onsidered that..

If the games are on the same time as the CL, then UEFA (and the TV companies that may show these games) wouldn't be able to command the same advertising revenue as currently.

Money talks.

Simply solution would be to play the games on alternate weeks. Week 1 CL games, week 2 EL games.

SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy Just so I'm clear. The reason the atmosphere sucks on Sundays is that it's harder to get to the Lane, correct? The trains don't run on the same schedule or something?

Sunday is a giant sports day in the States, which is why it's hard for us (me at least) to grasp how Sundays are a bad thing.

Since we started qualifying for Europe again in 2006, we've recorded the following results at this stage:
2-0 vs Slavia Prague
7-2 vs Anorthosis Famagusta
3-2 vs Wisla Krakow (Under Ramos at the start of the "2 points from 8 games" season where we were truly shit)
5-0 vs Hearts
8-0 vs Dinamo Tblisi

Most of those with a team of rotation players/kids. We should be fine playing them from the first leg.
Thank you good research

Thank you good research
To be honest mate, it was memory backed up by a wiki search, but thanks :p And looking at it the teams at this stage seem to be a fair bit weaker since the Europa League re-branding, so I expect we'll be fine. Perhaps the first leg will be squad player who could do with keeping their fitness up (Naughton, Kane, Townsend and the like) and if we win 3/4/5-0 we can play whoever Windy says is good in the youth squad the second leg

Less matches would make the EL a far greater proposition. I think it is 19 matches to win it, that is half a season worth of football.

Of course, there is a solution; that is not to play the first team players in each match., which would be handy.

not bullshit...
this is their starting line up in the 4th round of the league cup...
  • 01 Davis
  • 22 Chambers
  • 13 Fox
  • 38 Reed
  • 03 Yoshida
  • 26 Hooiveld Booked
  • 09 Rodriguez
  • 18 Cork Booked
  • 19 Lee (Ward-Prowse - 57' )
  • 10 Ramรญrez (Gallagher - 79' )
  • 08 Davis (Lallana - 70' )
these are the starting line ups in the PL games before and after that game...
before:
  • 31 Boruc
  • 02 Clyne
  • 23 Shaw
  • 04 Schneiderlin
  • 06 Fonte
  • 05 Lovren Booked
  • 16 Ward-Prowse
  • 12 Wanyama
  • 07 Lambert
  • 09 Rodriguez (Ramรญrez - 69' )
  • 20 Lallana
after:
  • 31 Boruc
  • 02 Clyne
  • 23 Shaw
  • 04 Schneiderlin Booked
  • 06 Fonte
  • 05 Lovren
  • 16 Ward-Prowse
  • 12 Wanyama (Davis - 63' )
  • 07 Lambert (Osvaldo - 76' )
  • 20 Lallana (Cork - 84' )
  • 09 Rodriguez
he doesn't take them seriously.

SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy Just so I'm clear. The reason the atmosphere sucks on Sundays is that it's harder to get to the Lane, correct? The trains don't run on the same schedule or something?

Sunday is a giant sports day in the States, which is why it's hard for us (me at least) to grasp how Sundays are a bad thing.

It's not necessary the transport.. I'm not really sure as to why, maybe it's to do with Sundays being family days.. Some people just don't want to go on a Sunday.
I must admit that it certainly doesn't feel the same, you go through the motions rather than get excited like a saturday 3pm game. Some people don't drink so much on a Sunday, due to having to go back to work on the Monday. A few beers definitely improves the matchday experience.
There definitely is a difference between a saturday crowd to a Sunday crowd.

I fucking loathe the EL and everything it stands for. A despicable little cup created out of greed. That said, it'll be our only route to CL next year (a small chance of winning seeing as CL clubs, ridiculously, get a second crack at the European whip) and we should go hammer and tong at it.

It's not necessary the transport.. I'm not really sure as to why, maybe it's to do with Sundays being family days.. Some people just don't want to go on a Sunday.
I must admit that it certainly doesn't feel the same, you go through the motions rather than get excited like a saturday 3pm game. Some people don't drink so much on a Sunday, due to having to go back to work on the Monday. A few beers definitely improves the matchday experience.
There definitely is a difference between a saturday crowd to a Sunday crowd.

It's just such a vast difference from American culture that it literally makes no sense to me. If you ever find yourself in the States during the NFL season you'll see what I mean. People are having parties, every bar is packed, a lot of people wearing their teams jersey regardless of if they're going to the game or not. If you're actually going to the game you sit out in the parking lot and tailgate. People will be grilling and drinking and it's just absolutely fantastic atmosphere. Even the worst teams in the league get rooted for like they're going to win the Super Bowl.

It's just such a vast difference from American culture that it literally makes no sense to me. If you ever find yourself in the States during the NFL season you'll see what I mean. People are having parties, every bar is packed, a lot of people wearing their teams jersey regardless of if they're going to the game or not. If you're actually going to the game you sit out in the parking lot and tailgate. People will be grilling and drinking and it's just absolutely fantastic atmosphere. Even the worst teams in the league get rooted for like they're going to win the Super Bowl.

Yes it must be a culture difference.
Some games are ok on Sundays but the whole day is just not as good. Like I said before, it's got a lot to do with going back to work the next day.
Saturdays have always been football day in this country until Sky moved in.

Back
Top Bottom