Does playing Vorm improve our defending?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, he was near the halfway line and did a slide tackle, which only served to gift the ball to another NUFC player who now had a clear route to goal where he had a decent shot.
Seen Hugo give it to Fazio and Verts, maybe he has that authority as skipper!
Didnt do any good with Walker though? :akabusi:

The OP is spot on. None of our cbs are the 'recovering back' type of cavalier defender who cld make a minor positional mistake and claw the yds back. Its like wev fallen in love with hugos (obvious) ability at rushing out and begun to depend on it. This whole 'high press' thing is a fad. Just like anything else in the game. It will be the reason we win matches, and also the reason one pass will beat 6 of our players. Just defend the fucking goal. Get behind the ball and press hard as and when. Not just because its 'my philosophy'. Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me

The OP is spot on.
Nah, he aint.

None of our cbs are the 'recovering back' type of cavalier defender who cld make a minor positional mistake and claw the yds back. Its like wev fallen in love with hugos (obvious) ability at rushing out and begun to depend on it. This whole 'high press' thing is a fad. Just like anything else in the game. It will be the reason we win matches, and also the reason one pass will beat 6 of our players. Just defend the fucking goal. Get behind the ball and press hard as and when. Not just because its 'my philosophy'. Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me

Why do people, yourself included, insist on seeing things like "a high defensive line" as some sort of agenda driven thing. Its a fucking tactic, that people with far more knowledge, qualifications and expertise than any of us on here have devised. We beat chelsea and took 4 points of Woolwich this season, somethings clearly working. Why do you think you know more than people who's actual fucking job it is to manage football teams in the self professed "greatest league in the world"

Football is an ever evolving entity. Its moved on from 50 years ago. its moved on from 5 years ago. Footballers are highly tunes athletes. Yeah, we have a high defensive line, thats because potchettino has gone with a system where our footballers are fitter than the footballers they're playing against. We press, all over the pitch. The more we press the better we play. And to do that, involves pushing forward. All 10 outfield players have a job, its not fucking simple in the slightest. And if we WERE to keep it simple, we'd probably get arse raped by every team going.

Im sure you think you're being clever, but if it was as simple as a one paragraph bit of writing on a forum, do you think there would be as many coaches involved? Do you think hours upon hours would be spent on training pitches? No, of course not. You can't just say "'ere lads, just go and play football, press when you need to press"

Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me
so is it poch or is it Hugo?

We have played teams struggling to score.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I agree with your points on defending but if it's pochs high line then that would be the same for each keeper.

Put vorm against man u and it might be a different story

The OP is spot on. None of our cbs are the 'recovering back' type of cavalier defender who cld make a minor positional mistake and claw the yds back. Its like wev fallen in love with hugos (obvious) ability at rushing out and begun to depend on it. This whole 'high press' thing is a fad. Just like anything else in the game. It will be the reason we win matches, and also the reason one pass will beat 6 of our players. Just defend the fucking goal. Get behind the ball and press hard as and when. Not just because its 'my philosophy'. Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me
Cheers AP. As you rightly say we haven't got the right defenders to make our high line work.
Pretty much every Spurs fan agrees Hugo is a top keeper, so why are we conceding so many goals with him between the sticks? You have to go all the way down to 14th and the sinking Toon to find a team with a worse Prem goals per game conceded ratio than ours. Even Hull in 17th have a better ratio and Burnley at the bottom are only slightly worse (1.55 compared to Hugo's 1.5).

Anyone who's followed us remotely closely must have winced at the gifts our high line has bestowed upon the oposition. Poch of course, like any manager has an agenda/philosophy, so he won't jettison this part of his tactical beliefs easily. But it seems that with Vorm he has become pragmatic, and I hope he keeps to this pragmatism when Hugo returns. Let's skip the 'Maginot line approach' and do some good ole fashioned close quarters defending.:thumbup:

I do love it when clueless spanners on the internet think they know more than people paid millions of pounds to do their jobs. To me, that was tim berners-lee's greatest gift to the world.

I do love it when clueless spanners on the internet think they know more than people paid millions of pounds to do their jobs.

So that would mean you agreed with every single line up, sub, formation and tactic that Harry and Tim made for us then.
Either that or you see yourself as a clueless internet spanner.

In which case we at last agree on something.

So that would mean you agreed with every single line up, sub, formation and tactic that Harry and Tim made for us then.
Either that or you see yourself as a clueless internet spanner.

In which case we at last agree on something.
I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck. I watch the football, enjoy myself, sing some songs, have a beer. Then win lose or draw, i walk away and get on with my life.

I thought he shouted "for FUCK sake"
CDDxnt_XWg_AA2_XQE.gif

If it wasent for Loris wed be 7-11th in the league. Most of those 2-1 wins at min 90 had at least one of those OHSHIT moments where Hugo saved the day. Im not saying that Vorm is bad but it feels a bit naive and stupid to talk about stuff like this. It creates a bad image for both keepers.

Back
Top Bottom