Does playing Vorm improve our defending?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Clearly Hugo is a top keeper, but in the last three games with Vorm starting we seem to have modified our high line, which has helped our defensive solidity. I may be wrong in this belief, but that's how it appears to me. For sure with two goals conceded in three games (0.666 pg) that's over twice as good as our previous ratio in Prem games (1.5 pg). Now admittedly the oppo hasn't been the toughest in those games, and we'll have a better idea after Soton away should Vorm start again.

But I certainly would like to see us keep the the 'toned down high line' of recent games, whoever starts in goal.

PS I've just noticed I'm a 'World Cup Winner' (indeed like my namesake who belatedly received his much deserved medal a few years back :thumbup:) having racked up 2000 positive ratings. So what better way to celebrate than with a new thread, and of course thank you to all the kind posters out there who helped me towards such an esteemed honour :love:

Last edited:
PS I've just noticed I'm a 'World Cup Winner' (indeed like my namesake who belatedly received his much deserved medal a few years back :thumbup:) having racked up 2000 positive ratings. So what better way to celebrate than with a new thread, and of course thank you to all the kind posters out there who helped me towards such an esteemed honour :love:
You're just begging for it now.

i don't know if he improves our defending but his last name has only one syllable, which saves the defenders a little bit of breath, so that when they shout and run they just have that extra yard of pace

Vorm is a much better kicker than Hugo. His kicking has helped us, finds our players more often an often central. As for a better keeper ?
Good that he is getting a few games.
Hi Shawry. I'm not at all implying that Vorm is a better keeper, what I'm wondering is if we have 'toned down' our high line in the last few games because of him playing?
Furthermore, regardless of who is in goal, I hope we continue this less extreme version of the high line that we now seem to be playing.

Hi Shawry. I'm not at all implying that Vorm is a better keeper, what I'm wondering is if we have 'toned down' our high line in the last few games because of him playing?
Furthermore, regardless of who is in goal, I hope we continue this less extreme version of the high line that we now seem to be playing.
Keep in mind that we've also only scored in one of those three games.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever has got a fair point.. The game against Leicester he came on and we weren't prepared for it, carried on playing high up the pitch and we conceded 3.. The next few games we set up to not play so high and only conceded 2 goals in the three games, one of which was offside..
It's nothing to do with who the best keeper is, that's straight forward, but our defence plays a more orthodox line when Vorm is playing.

vorm stays on his line, like a younger friedal.
taken our defence 3 games to realise this after being used to hugo's better style.

plus, newcastle were utter rubbish.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever has got a fair point.. The game against Leicester he came on and we weren't prepared for it, carried on playing high up the pitch and we conceded 3.. The next few games we set up to not play so high and only conceded 2 goals in the three games, one of which was offside..
It's nothing to do with who the best keeper is, that's straight forward, but our defence plays a more orthodox line when Vorm is playing.
Cheers Billy, glad to see someone else is seeing what I'm seeing with regards to the high line, and excellent point regarding the Leicester game where we carried on with the ancien régime and its typical comedy consequences.

Hugo is top class, but he's not superhuman and the ridiculous high line we've been playing with him has cost us time and again. Now I'm NOT saying it's Hugo's fault that we've been playing such a high line, I presume it's a tactic arrived at by a consensus amongst certain key personnel with the manager making the final decision on it. One reason though for sure we've been playing it is because Hugo is such a superb sweeper-keeper. Unfortunately though the defenders in front of him, plus the rest of the team just don't have the ability to play it properly. Now, great though Hugo is, he is still mortal like the rest of us. He can't perform an endless series of miracles as chance after chance is gifted to the oppo by our Keystone Cops interpretation of the 'offside trap', which under us is less of a trap and more an open invitation to come and grab whatever you fancy.

For me, even when Hugo is back I don't want to return to the old system, because then truly the like the Bourbons of old it will be a case of ils n'ont rien appris, ni rien oublié.

Last edited:
Leicester
Burnley
Villa
Newcastle

That right there tells you all you need to know about why we are conceding less goals of late. Not the magic of Paulinho. Not Vorm. Not the juju. We just played 4 of the worst attacking teams in the league!

fine_young_cannibals_1376507560577.jpg

We've played Burnley Villa and Newcastle, hardly an accurate barometer.

Cheers Billy, glad to see someone else is seeing what I'm seeing with regards to the high line, and excellent point regarding the Leicester game where we carried on with the ancien régime and its typical comedy consequences.

Hugo is top class, but he's not superhuman and the ridiculous high line we've been playing with him has cost us time and again. Now I'm NOT saying it's Hugo's fault that we've been playing such a high line, I presume it's a tactic arrived at by a consensus amongst certain key personnel with the manager making the final decision on it. One reason though for sure we've been playing it is because Hugo is such a superb sweeper-keeper. Unfortunately though the defenders in front of him, plus the rest of the team just don't have the ability to play it properly. Now, great though Hugo is, he is still mortal like the rest of us. He can't perform an endless series of miracles as chance after chance is gifted to the oppo by our Keystone Cops interpretation of the 'offside trap', which under us is less of a trap and more an open invitation to come and grab whatever you fancy.

For me, even when Hugo is back I don't want to return to the old system, because then truly the like the Bourbons of old it will be a case of ils n'ont rien appris, ni rien oublié.
THAT should have been your first post.

Also, congrats on hitting 400+ disagrees. An excellent achievement you cantankerous old goat :thumbup:

Clearly Hugo is a top keeper, but in the last three games with Vorm starting we seem to have modified our high line, which has helped our defensive solidity. I may be wrong in this belief, but that's how it appears to me. For sure with two goals conceded in three games (0.666 pg) that's over twice as good as our previous ratio in Prem games (1.5 pg). Now admittedly the oppo hasn't been the toughest in those games, and we'll have a better idea after Soton away should Vorm start again.

But I certainly would like to see us keep the the 'toned down high line' of recent games, whoever starts in goal.

You've also received 438 disagrees you clueless old prick. Why don't you leave the football to the fucking manager and staff that know what they're doing. In future just automatically presume your opinion is wrong and then keep it to your fucking self.

Back
Top Bottom