Does playing Vorm improve our defending?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i don't know if he improves our defending but his last name has only one syllable, which saves the defenders a little bit of breath, so that when they shout and run they just have that extra yard of pace

Vorm is a much better kicker than Hugo. His kicking has helped us, finds our players more often an often central. As for a better keeper ?
Good that he is getting a few games.
Hi Shawry. I'm not at all implying that Vorm is a better keeper, what I'm wondering is if we have 'toned down' our high line in the last few games because of him playing?
Furthermore, regardless of who is in goal, I hope we continue this less extreme version of the high line that we now seem to be playing.

Clearly Hugo is a top keeper, but in the last three games with Vorm starting we seem to have modified our high line, which has helped our defensive solidity. I may be wrong in this belief, but that's how it appears to me. For sure with two goals conceded in three games (0.666 pg) that's over twice as good as our previous ratio in Prem games (1.5 pg). Now admittedly the oppo hasn't been the toughest in those games, and we'll have a better idea after Soton away should Vorm start again.

But I certainly would like to see us keep the the 'toned down high line' of recent games, whoever starts in goal.

PS I've just noticed I'm a 'World Cup Winner' (indeed like my namesake who belatedly received his much deserved medal a few years back :thumbup:) having racked up 2000 positive ratings. So what better way to celebrate than with a new thread, and of course thank you to all the kind posters out there who helped me towards such an esteemed honour :love:

Last edited:
Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever has got a fair point.. The game against Leicester he came on and we weren't prepared for it, carried on playing high up the pitch and we conceded 3.. The next few games we set up to not play so high and only conceded 2 goals in the three games, one of which was offside..
It's nothing to do with who the best keeper is, that's straight forward, but our defence plays a more orthodox line when Vorm is playing.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever has got a fair point.. The game against Leicester he came on and we weren't prepared for it, carried on playing high up the pitch and we conceded 3.. The next few games we set up to not play so high and only conceded 2 goals in the three games, one of which was offside..
It's nothing to do with who the best keeper is, that's straight forward, but our defence plays a more orthodox line when Vorm is playing.
Cheers Billy, glad to see someone else is seeing what I'm seeing with regards to the high line, and excellent point regarding the Leicester game where we carried on with the ancien régime and its typical comedy consequences.

Hugo is top class, but he's not superhuman and the ridiculous high line we've been playing with him has cost us time and again. Now I'm NOT saying it's Hugo's fault that we've been playing such a high line, I presume it's a tactic arrived at by a consensus amongst certain key personnel with the manager making the final decision on it. One reason though for sure we've been playing it is because Hugo is such a superb sweeper-keeper. Unfortunately though the defenders in front of him, plus the rest of the team just don't have the ability to play it properly. Now, great though Hugo is, he is still mortal like the rest of us. He can't perform an endless series of miracles as chance after chance is gifted to the oppo by our Keystone Cops interpretation of the 'offside trap', which under us is less of a trap and more an open invitation to come and grab whatever you fancy.

For me, even when Hugo is back I don't want to return to the old system, because then truly the like the Bourbons of old it will be a case of ils n'ont rien appris, ni rien oublié.

Last edited:
fine_young_cannibals_1376507560577.jpg

The OP is spot on.
Nah, he aint.

None of our cbs are the 'recovering back' type of cavalier defender who cld make a minor positional mistake and claw the yds back. Its like wev fallen in love with hugos (obvious) ability at rushing out and begun to depend on it. This whole 'high press' thing is a fad. Just like anything else in the game. It will be the reason we win matches, and also the reason one pass will beat 6 of our players. Just defend the fucking goal. Get behind the ball and press hard as and when. Not just because its 'my philosophy'. Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me

Why do people, yourself included, insist on seeing things like "a high defensive line" as some sort of agenda driven thing. Its a fucking tactic, that people with far more knowledge, qualifications and expertise than any of us on here have devised. We beat chelsea and took 4 points of Woolwich this season, somethings clearly working. Why do you think you know more than people who's actual fucking job it is to manage football teams in the self professed "greatest league in the world"

Football is an ever evolving entity. Its moved on from 50 years ago. its moved on from 5 years ago. Footballers are highly tunes athletes. Yeah, we have a high defensive line, thats because potchettino has gone with a system where our footballers are fitter than the footballers they're playing against. We press, all over the pitch. The more we press the better we play. And to do that, involves pushing forward. All 10 outfield players have a job, its not fucking simple in the slightest. And if we WERE to keep it simple, we'd probably get arse raped by every team going.

Im sure you think you're being clever, but if it was as simple as a one paragraph bit of writing on a forum, do you think there would be as many coaches involved? Do you think hours upon hours would be spent on training pitches? No, of course not. You can't just say "'ere lads, just go and play football, press when you need to press"

God sake the high line or Hugo Lloris had nothing to do with Davies fucking up and Fazio not being tighter

Individual errors have cost us more than anything the last few months

Jesus what a waste of fucking time this place can be

We've played Burnley Villa and Newcastle, hardly an accurate barometer.

The OP is spot on. None of our cbs are the 'recovering back' type of cavalier defender who cld make a minor positional mistake and claw the yds back. Its like wev fallen in love with hugos (obvious) ability at rushing out and begun to depend on it. This whole 'high press' thing is a fad. Just like anything else in the game. It will be the reason we win matches, and also the reason one pass will beat 6 of our players. Just defend the fucking goal. Get behind the ball and press hard as and when. Not just because its 'my philosophy'. Look at saints def record with and after poch. Pretty clear to me

I do love it when clueless spanners on the internet think they know more than people paid millions of pounds to do their jobs. To me, that was tim berners-lee's greatest gift to the world.

Back
Top Bottom