Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Player wants to play for biggest team(s) in the world shocker.

There are certain clubs, that when they come calling, no other team is immune. Look at Ronaldo when he was at Utd. Being a "selling club" has nothing to do with it; It's about pecking order.

We should feel privileged that we are as high up in that hierarchy as we are considering our lack of honours over the majority of the last 25 years. Despite that we still have quite a high pedigree. Certainly higher than teams like Southampton who will be resigned to forever losing their best players / managers season after season.

Plus as Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 says, Levy has proved that he is well over selling our best players to rivals in our own league.

The Anti-Levy brigade:

grasping-at-straws.jpg

Fair enough, missed that interview. Guess all footballers, apart from Harry Kane, will look to move to bigger and better clubs if we cannot match their ambitions.

The positive thing about Spurs though is that we currently are very much trying to match the ambitions of the players. We are challenging, we have a very progressive coach, we have a beautiful new stadium on the horizon. Levy has tied nearly all the players down to new contracts, if anyone wants to leave it'll be for lots of £££s.

My guess is the Harry Kane thing is important:

Often when a player moves on to "further their career" it's when they feel they're the best player at the club and therefore aren't surrounded by enough quality.

With having one of the top 10 strikers in Europe (who is still improving) here at the club, makes it harder for a player to justify the move. When Bale was here he carried us for that last season. I don't see the same ever being true of Alli.

No idea whether or not its important but there hasn't been a whisper of this from the Spanish sports press. As (based in Madrid) and El Mundo Deportivo (in Barcelona) have repeated the Mirror story today but haven't added anything to it.

By the way, according to the latter, Juventus's Paulo Dybala has told Flo Pérez that he will sign for Madrid in the summer, he sort of plays in the same position as Dele I think...

My guess is the Harry Kane thing is important:

Often when a player moves on to "further their career" it's when they feel they're the best player at the club and therefore aren't surrounded by enough quality.

With having one of the top 10 strikers in Europe (who is still improving) here at the club, makes it harder for a player to justify the move. When Bale was here he carried us for that last season. I don't see the same ever being true of Alli.
Indeed. Having 2 or more top top players in a side helps keep the standard up and stop a player either being Billy Big-Bollocks or getting sick of carrying the team on his own.

We've now got:
  • The best (overall) pair of fullbacks in the league
  • The best English striker
  • The most exciting young English player (Alli)
  • The best centre back in the league (assuming Toby has thrown off his injury now)
  • One of, if not the, best goalkeepers in the league
Not to mention a couple of other young players who are excellent and might well improve from here (Eriksen, Dier) and a three academy products primed to break into the first team in the next few years (Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers, and Edwards).

In the short term, there's also the stadium project that should have all the players keen to stick with us at least until 2019 - and who knows how good we might become by that point.

After the Watford match, the Spurs twitter ran a poll on the Man of the Match. I didn't pick anyone as I genuinely couldn't decide who had performed best. We're starting to get spoiled for choice.
Woolwich, on the other hand, will find themselves in a whole heap of trouble if they lose Ozil or Sanchez. As soon as one goes, the other will quickly get itchy feet and want out too.

I'm a bit baffled that so many of you think this story is bullshit given Madrid's previous with poaching our best players.

I'm also baffled that you think Alli will want to stay given how hard Modric and Bale fought to leave when they came sniffing.

Dele will be no different in my opinion.

I'm a bit baffled that so many of you think this story is bullshit given Madrid's previous with poaching our best players.

I'm also baffled that you think Alli will want to stay given how hard Modric and Bale fought to leave when they came sniffing.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :dier:

You say that but I like to think with all the banter and how well everyone gets on in the dressing room and with the manager why would anyone want to leave that at the moment?
Plus when bale left it was for a transfer record, when pogba costs 89 million, you really think levy would let Dele go for 50?
:levystare:

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be interested. I'm saying that he isn't fully developed yet. I think it's in his best interests to stay with us for 18 months. If he's continued improving over that time, then one of the big boys would be justified in coming in for him and he would be at an age where he can do what he wants. He'll still only be 22 in 18 months. Shit, if he plays for us in our first season at the new stadium, he'll only be 23 after that! Who knows, we might have bought Bale back by then anyway...

You say that but I like to think with all the banter and how well everyone gets on in the dressing room and with the manager why would anyone want to leave that at the moment?
Plus when bale left it was for a transfer record, when pogba costs 89 million, you really think levy would let Dele go for 50?

Probably not. But he'd probably accept £70m.

and RM have deep pockets.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be interested. I'm saying that he isn't fully developed yet. I think it's in his best interests to stay with us for 18 months. If he's continued improving over that time, then one of the big boys would be justified in coming in for him and he would be at an age where he can do what he wants. He'll still only be 22 in 18 months. Shit, if he plays for us in our first season at the new stadium, he'll only be 23 after that! Who knows, we might have bought Bale back by then anyway...

I agree he'd develop better if he stayed, but Real are a big carrot.

The annoying thing is that at this point there are not very many steps up from Spurs for a player like Alli in world football, but Real Madrid is a proposition that any football player couldn't refuse. It's a shame they keep wanting to swipe our players.

He wouldn't go, he's not stupid. He's developing here and getting the recognition he deserves, with a manager who loves him and the likely possibility of trophies and a higher wage.

What does he get at Madrid? A higher wage? A handful of games? Medals he didn't contribute towards? Lack of development?

He won't go when he's only 20. Maybe if he was 25, 26 I'd say fair point.

If Daniel applies the Standard English Player Transfer Multiplier of x3 they'd have to bid £267m

Back
Top Bottom