Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...to-ronaldo-in-pl-23-year-old-stars-better-tha

'Tottenham's Eriksen, by the age of 23, has scored as many Premier League goals as Steven Gerrard did by the same age - but the Liverpool legend had played 86 more matches'
Here's the comparison table...
ScreenShot20150214at10.55.28.png

I guess he gets a pass which is understandable as he's by and large having a great season but the italians completely shut him down yesterday. Was our worst player on the pitch for me and was playing in his supposed "best position".

I guess he gets a pass which is understandable as he's by and large having a great season but the italians completely shut him down yesterday. Was our worst player on the pitch for me and was playing in his supposed "best position".
He's having an "okay" season, covered up by the threat he provides on free-kicks.

Still a long ways off his best form, but he's young and has a lot of development ahead of him, and he's a clear starter for us.

Christian Eriksen's secret to his Tottenham Hotspur success? He never stops improving
How hard work, Football Manager and Dennis Bergkamp turned the Dane into one of the Premier League's most feared midfielders
By
Jonathan Lieu

In a parallel universe, Christian Eriksen will be stepping out at Wembley Stadium on Sunday afternoon wearing blue. There was a time when Eriksen could conceivably have joined Chelsea; he flew over from Denmark to have trials at Cobham when he was 14 and 15.

Instinctively, he felt a little uneasy. “It was another world,” he later remembered. “The football was a little bit more powerful than what I wanted.”

And in any case, Chelsea had decided they didn’t want him. They had another kid of similar age, a midfielder with outstanding touch and control and vision, of whom great things were expected. His name was Josh McEachran.

So on the advice of Frank Arnesen, Chelsea’s sporting director, Eriksen went to Holland. To Ajax, more precisely: a club with a rich Danish tradition, stretching from Arnesen himself all the way through to the Laudrup brothers. And so began a journey that on Sunday sees Eriksen marching out at Wembley in Tottenham white. He does so as one of the leading midfielders in the Premier League. He is still only 23.

McEachran, meanwhile, is only a year younger than Eriksen, but has played just a third of the number of senior games (74 to 213). Most have been in the Championship. His most recent game was a 15-minute substitute appearance at the club where he is trying to rebuild his career: Vitesse Arnhem, in Holland.

The point is this. Talent only gets you so far. Potential, until it is realised, is just that. What makes the difference? Opportunity, commitment, luck: perhaps. But at some level, it also comes down to making the right decision.

Christian Eriksen is not especially strong or quick. He’s very deft with the ball at his feet, and he has a nice little drop of the shoulder, but in terms of pure skill, he’s a little short of the Iniesta/Modric/Götze bracket. Where he excels is in his ability to see the next three seconds of the game before anyone else, and to make the right call at exactly the right moment.

Under Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham play a quick, vertical style based on aggressive transitions: win the ball high up the pitch, and recycle it quickly. By definition, though, the problem with transitions is that they’re often a mess. With play broken up, it takes a sharp mind to decode the blur of unfamiliar positions and angles. This is where Eriksen comes in. As his former manager at Ajax, Martin Jol, put it: “He sees more than most.”

Like many of us, Eriksen played Football Manager and Fifa obsessively as a kid. On Football Manager, he would take charge of Roma or Valencia, powering through an entire season in a couple of days. And it is tempting to speculate that Eriksen’s decision-making skills – his ability to see the game as from above – were honed from those long nights in front of a flickering computer screen. Eriksen was just one of the lucky few who had the talent to match their vision.

The other thing Eriksen has is time. Or, more specifically: timing. Eriksen is one of the world’s very best at waiting for the right instant to release the ball, whether a pass or a shot. In jazz, they talk about syncopation: the “missed beat” that throws the ear off balance. Eriksen is a maestro at playing the ball on an off-beat; just a fraction after you expect him to. If you can bear the terrible music, this compilation video from the semi-final second leg against Sheffield United demonstrates this perfectly.

An innate sense of timing may explain why Eriksen joined Ajax instead of Barcelona, Milan, Manchester United or any of the other top clubs that were looking at him. “It was the feeling you get at a big club where they buy some new players every six months,” he said. “For me, it was just about wanting to play. At that point I was just 19 years old, so I had no hurry.” How many other footballers have so much perspective so young?

It was clear from the outset that Eriksen had a rare and special talent. He was given his Ajax first-team debut at 17, and was rarely out of the side thereafter. In 2011, he played Jack Wilshere off the park during a friendly for Denmark against England. Among those watching was Tottenham coach Tim Sherwood, who claims he rang Daniel Levy the next day and told him “he needed to sign this boy”.

Jol, his manager at Ajax, talked him up enthusiastically. “AC Milan were not interested in Jari Litmanen, Dennis Bergkamp, Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart when they were 17,” he declared. “They are in Christian.”

In the Danish press the young Eriksen was compared, inevitably, to Michael Laudrup. But perhaps a more apposite comparison is with the man with whom he would forge a strong and lasting bond at Ajax.

“I had a lot of dealings with Bergkamp,” Eriksen recalled in an interview last year. “I started with the under-17s at Ajax and he was the assistant coach. Once or twice a week we had individual one-to-one training sessions. You just watched Bergkamp. When you see him in training, he had skills that a guy just shouldn’t be allowed to have.”

Bergkamp and Eriksen have remained close. And you wonder whether the older man sees something of his younger self in the prodigy he nurtured at Ajax. As Bergkamp puts it in his book Stillness and Speed: “There are some players who, as soon as the whistle went at the end of training… boom. They went inside, got changed, then straight in the car and away. But the real liefhebbers [lovers of the game] stayed behind to practise. At Woolwich it was always the same players, eight or nine, who stayed behind after training.”

Now read what Sherwood had to say about Eriksen when he was Tottenham manager. “I drag him off the training field every day and say: ‘that’s enough, Christian, it’s getting dark, go home to the missus’.” Idealistic passion for the game and old-school graft are often seen as polar opposites. For Bergkamp and Eriksen, they go hand in hand. Eriksen, by all accounts, is a liefhebber.

Here’s an example of how Eriksen combines hard work with in-game intelligence and positional sense. It’s December 2014 and Spurs are playing Manchester United at White Hart Lane. We pick up Eriksen (on the right), gathering the ball in his own half, with the chance of a counter-attack. It’s the last time he’ll touch the ball.
movement_1_3213771a.png

Eriksen moves the ball onto Harry Kane, who takes the ball into the left channel. Eriksen, spotting Kane’s lack of support, now sprints past him at full pelt to give him a through-ball option. Instead Kane (left) checks his run, looks to his right, and sprays the ball out to Andros Townsend.
movement_2_3213772a.png

Eriksen now realises that Townsend is on his own. So now he turns 90 degrees and sprints again, around the back of Townsend, to give him a passing option to the right. By the time Townsend [hands on head] has cut onto his left foot and taken a weak shot, because he’s Andros Townsend and that’s what he does, just over 10 seconds have elapsed, during which time Eriksen
has sprinted about 80 yards in two different directions.
movement_3_3213773a.png

In fact, if you look at the statistics, Eriksen is not only the hardest worker at Tottenham bar none, but one of the hardest workers in the entire Premier League. According to EA Sports, whose Player Performance Index tracks the distance covered by every Premier League player, only Nemanja Matic, Jack Colback and Steven Nzonzi have covered more ground this season. At Tottenham, Eriksen has run 30 per cent more than anyone else. And you thought he was just a free-kick taker.

The question is this, then: given Eriksen’s immense natural talent and his ingrained work ethic, why did it take so long for him to make his mark at Tottenham? To answer that question, we need to plough through the data.

Eriksen may be very good, but there are certain conditions that bring out the best in him. At Ajax, he was critical of Jol’s style of play. “Under Jol, we were accused of not playing Ajax-type football,” he said. “The midfield was often skipped, there were primarily long balls up to [Luis] Suarez and then it was hoped he would do something spectacular.”

At Tottenham, too, successive managers tried and often failed to get the best out of Eriksen. The trend, though, is positive. Over the last four seasons – two at Ajax, two at Tottenham, Eriksen’s scoring rate has increased year on year. He is also making more tackles than ever before, all of which suggests that Eriksen is influencing games to a far greater extent.
Season Goals/90min Passes/90 Tackles/90
2011/12 0.222 54.2 1.52
2012/13 0.311 54.5 1.49
2013/14 0.346 50.8 1.15
2014/15 0.381 46.4 1.61

Playing to Eriksen’s strengths, it seems, is largely a matter of tactics. Under Andre Villas-Boas, Eriksen was injured for much of the first half of the season. He played 90 minutes just once, and even when he did feature he often made little impact coming in off the right wing in a 4-2-3-1.

Sherwood had different ideas. He liked playing 4-4-2 with conventional wingers, and so Eriksen was often shunted out to the left wing, with a licence to come inside if necessary. He was often an auxiliary player, rather than a goal threat in his own right.

Under Pochettino, Eriksen has a far more pivotal role. Even when he plays on the left, he spends little time on that flank. Like all players in Pochettino’s system, he also has a heavy defensive responsibility, which may well contribute to his exceptional work-rate. For his part, Eriksen has visibly improved the defensive side of his game in the last 12 months, to the point where he is often the first midfielder back when his team are under attack.

We’ve picked out three sample matches from the Villas-Boas, Sherwood and Pochettino eras to illustrate the point. Under Pochettino, Eriksen is much more involved in the game, in both defence and attack.
eriksen-heatmaps_3213775a.jpg

Given the interest in Eriksen from the very start of his career, it may seem surprising that he ended up at Tottenham: a big club, but not in the same league as Chelsea, AC Milan or Real Madrid. He also turned down Manchester City in the summer of 2012: not through a lack of ambition, but a simple calculation that he was not ready to play regular football for the English champions.

“I said no a few times,” he remembered. “Maybe I wouldn’t have played there. I wouldn’t go to a club just to stay on the subs’ bench. Now it looks like I moved at the right time.”

The question is what happens next. Beyond Sunday’s game, speculation about Eriksen’s future at Tottenham is sure to increase. But if Eriksen has displayed one notable trait during his career so far, it is that gift of timing. He waits just a fraction longer than you expect before making his move. And history suggests he will not move to one of Europe’s giants until he feels he can claim a regular first-team place.

Arnesen, the man who advised him to join Ajax almost a decade ago, told a Danish newspaper last year: “If Eriksen continues as he is doing right now, there is a chance that he becomes extremely interesting for clubs at the highest level: Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea. [Daniel] Levy’s crazy-good at selling, but there will be a big club. It is up to the agent to ensure that he will go.”

The likelihood is that Eriksen will have a decision to make before long. History suggests he will make the right one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Hotspur-success-He-never-stops-improving.html

Of course he will leave one day... that's just what we do, right?
But for the meantime, he's ours, all ours... and if he's up for Sunday, we're in with a shout!

It was clear from the outset that Eriksen had a rare and special talent. He was given his Ajax first-team debut at 17, and was rarely out of the side thereafter. In 2011, he played Jack Wilshere off the park during a friendly for Denmark against England. Among those watching was Tottenham coach Tim Sherwood, who claims he rang Daniel Levy the next day and told him “he needed to sign this boy”.

:sherwoodwtf:

I'm not comfortable with the sort of press he's been getting lately. He's been a positive part of our side this season, but his performances are being overrated on account of how many free kicks he's scored from. He's still the best we've got in that position and I wouldn't sell him right now for the world, but he's still got a long ways to go in terms of consistency in order to start realizing his potential.

I'm not comfortable with the sort of press he's been getting lately. He's been a positive part of our side this season, but his performances are being overrated on account of how many free kicks he's scored from. He's still the best we've got in that position and I wouldn't sell him right now for the world, but he's still got a long ways to go in terms of consistency in order to start realizing his potential.
I didn't realize he's scored that many free kicks? From his 9 league goals the only one I can think of from a free kick was against West Brom.

erikssen has played several positions in our midfield and if you look at our squad we dont have a lot of runners for him to target give this guy the instruments and watch him orchestrate in truth lamela and chadli sometimes crowd his space. this guy is suppose to score freekicks so why the fuss thats like saying oh ronaldo penalties dont count what a bag of nonsense far from being perfect but he is getting there bring gotze to the epl and see if he doesnt end up like a next ozil.

Mate his goals have mostly been from free kicks this season. Of those 9 league goals probably 6 of them are free kicks.
Alright, just remembered that other free kick against Leicester, that makes two. Aside from that he scored against Swansea, Sunderland, Everton, Hull, City, Southampton and Sunderland again, yet not one of them were free kicks. That's 2 from 9, very definitely not mostly.

Alright, just remembered that other free kick against Leicester, that makes two. Aside from that he scored against Swansea, Sunderland, Everton, Hull, City, Southampton and Sunderland again, yet not one of them were free kicks. That's 2 from 9, very definitely not mostly.
Dammit if you're not correct. He's got three since the new year, but I just went back through and looked at his goals in match reports, and that's all.

Never mind, he's a Danish God, and I was terribly wrong. Could have sworn that more of his goals were from free-kicks this season.

erikssen has played several positions in our midfield and if you look at our squad we dont have a lot of runners for him to target give this guy the instruments and watch him orchestrate

He said himself recently in an interview that at Ajax he was asked to make assists and to be the playmaker and yet at Spurs he's expected to score goals, which he's not fully use to. Still not convinced playing Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela benefits any of them; they're at best front 4 (Which doesn't say much) but can't help feel none of them are hitting their potential.

Back
Top Bottom