Can we win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can we win the league?

• Yes we can and we will, we are a strong team

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • We have a chance but it is unlikely

Votes: 116 81.7%
  • We have absolutely zero chance of being champions

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Millbanks Millbanks the difference in TV money for the 4th - 20th teams in La Liga compared to the PL is ridiculous, West Brom would challenge for top 6 every year in Spain with the same money.
I know. The monopolisation of money in that league is fucking appalling. It's a minor miracle any other team ever challenges the top 2.

See that Porto TV deal recently? Astonishing.

Last edited:
I hope the players are taking it one game at a time. There are 19 games left and it's taken us 19 games to even look comfortable in the top four.

We play last at the weekend. If Man City win tonight we go 3 points off 2nd and 3rd. If Liverpool beat Sunderland tomorrow, they go 5 points behind us. If Liverpool then go ahead and beat West Ham on the early Saturday kick off, they go 2 points behind us. If Woolwich beat Newcastle, they go 7 points clear of us. If Leicester beat Bournemouth at home, they would then go 6 points clear of us, Man Utd beat Swansea and they are right back on our tail and go 2 points behind us, hell even if Stoke win on their form they'd only go 3 points behind us. Man City win away at Watford and they are 6 points clear of us. Palace then go and beat Chelsea at home, which isn't impossible they then go 1 point behind us before we even play Everton.

So all this talk of winning the league, if every result goes against us leading up to 4pm on Sunday, this will be the league table:

1. Woolwich - 42
2. Man City - 41
3. Leicester - 41
4. Tottenham - 35
---------------------------
5. Crystal Palace - 34
6. Man Utd - 33
7. Liverpool - 33
8. Stoke - 32

Doesn't seem to exciting does it? Sure we'd be in 4th place and have that game in hand but my point is, you'd rather have points on the table then go to a place like Goodison Park and have to get 3 points just to give ourselves a cushion. Lets take one game at a time and see where we are in 19 games time. This season for me is already a success. We've transitioned from a soft team with players like Paulinho, Adebayor, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul to having a team full of likeable players who LOVE playing for the club and have shown to want to put their bodies on the line for a win.

I hope the players are taking it one game at a time. There are 19 games left and it's taken us 19 games to even look comfortable in the top four.

We play last at the weekend. If Man City win tonight we go 3 points off 2nd and 3rd. If Liverpool beat Sunderland tomorrow, they go 5 points behind us. If Liverpool then go ahead and beat West Ham on the early Saturday kick off, they go 2 points behind us. If Woolwich beat Newcastle, they go 7 points clear of us. If Leicester beat Bournemouth at home, they would then go 6 points clear of us, Man Utd beat Swansea and they are right back on our tail and go 2 points behind us, hell even if Stoke win on their form they'd only go 3 points behind us. Man City win away at Watford and they are 6 points clear of us. Palace then go and beat Chelsea at home, which isn't impossible they then go 1 point behind us before we even play Everton.

So all this talk of winning the league, if every result goes against us leading up to 4pm on Sunday, this will be the league table:

1. Woolwich - 42
2. Man City - 41
3. Leicester - 41
4. Tottenham - 35
5. Crystal Palace - 34
6. Man Utd - 33
7. Liverpool - 33
8. Stoke - 32

Doesn't seem to exciting does it? Sure we'd be in 4th place and have that game in hand but my point is, you'd rather have points on the table then go to a place like Goodison Park and have to get 3 points just to give ourselves a cushion. Lets take one game at a time and see where we are in 19 games time. This season for me is already a success. We've transitioned from a soft team with players like Paulinho, Adebayor, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul to having a team full of likeable players who LOVE playing for the club and have shown to want to put their bodies on the line for a win.
City and Leicester are playing each other today

Lets take one game at a time and see where we are in 19 games time. This season for me is already a success. We've transitioned from a soft team with players like Paulinho, Adebayor, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul to having a team full of likeable players who LOVE playing for the club and have shown to want to put their bodies on the line for a win.

No need for any other post really

Not sure on the league, however we have an incredible chance to get champions league. Before the season had begun I honestly thought we had no chance, so this is a delight.

This is the best I have seen Tottenham as a club in my life time. It is really pleasing to watch.

Plus my sister picked up Everton away tickets as a coming home treat. Lovely.

Last night we won a game where previously we would have crumble and we look like a title contender, can we actually do it? There is no real front runner with Leicester not having any experience in the top half, Woolwich and City being inconsistent and United being plain shit.

I think it is definitely possible but can't see it happening, what do you think?

I had no hesitation on voting "NO CHANCE AT ALL". We don't have the depth is squad, we don't have the belief, we don't have a good enough manager, and finally we don't have the luck.

[

This is the best I have seen Tottenham as a club in my life time.

=======================

You must be very very young. You should have seen them under Arry

I had no hesitation on voting "NO CHANCE AT ALL". We don't have the depth is squad, we don't have the belief, we don't have a good enough manager, and finally we don't have the luck.

I wouldnt say "no chance at all." There's a definitely a chance given our run in form. I feel we do have the depth and we have a good enough manager (look what he's done in less than two full seasons). Belief, I agree, we may not have yet, only time will tell. As for luck, I think that will play the biggest role in title contention this season.

1st or 2nd will do me.

Screenshot_2015-11-09-10-43-29.png

I wouldnt say "no chance at all." There's a definitely a chance given our run in form. I feel we do have the depth and we have a good enough manager (look what he's done in less than two full seasons). Belief, I agree, we may not have yet, only time will tell. As for luck, I think that will play the biggest role in title contention this season.
Weve used one life against Watford?

We will always have a chance. Alll the teams around us are poor , so any team that have a winning run could just do it including us.

Just had a quick read through, and I think you are all to optimistic. At best I think we will get a draw, but if I were a betting man I would say Spurs 1-2 Norwich

Just as well you're neither a betting man, nor a Spurs fan in all likelihood.

1. Woolwich - 42
2. Man City - 41
3. Leicester - 41
4. Tottenham - 35
5. Crystal Palace - 34
6. Man Utd - 33
7. Liverpool - 33
8. Stoke - 32

I wouldnt say ithe season is already a sucess. It will all mean nothing if we started to slip away. We need, as a team/club to start experiancing sucess and that means achieving . I support taking each game as they come and understand how week to week it can all change. We can omly look after our own results. If we all played Sat afternoon 3pm your gloom would be irrelivant.

I think we've got a good shot at winning the league based on the first half of the year. Other teams are faltering, and Spurs have been amongst the most consistent. I don't think anyone has outplayed us in the league this season and key injuries to Woolwich and Man City will affect their points total. We deserve more points than we've accrued this season, and as this young team matures we will begin to start killing off teams and pick up more.

We've got the best defence and the best goal difference, as well as a world-class striker. If this team can stay fit and avoid burnout, we've got a chance

QUOTE="mouse, post: 921814, member: 659"]1st or 2nd will do me.

Screenshot_2015-11-09-10-43-29.png
[/QUOTE]
Those were great odds and credit to you for going for it back then. I took a game or two more to be convinced it wasn't a short term form thing. I only got 28/1 a couple weeks later. Still good odds compared to today's, but then today's odds are very reasonable given the current situation in my opinion.

Looking at the league table tonight after the Leicester v City result, we are only 1 point off City (you know, the club that has spent billions of pounds in recent seasons) and only four points off the top spot knowing we play all the teams above us before the end. Oh, and we still have the best goal difference in the league. Think about that for a second. We, Spurs, when you look at goals scored against goals conceeded, are the best in the whole league. This time last year we were ninth on goal difference with 0 and most of us thought that was pretty awesome (for us). Year before it was minus 2 at this stage. Both previous seasons we were seventh in the table after 19 games. Can we win the title?
GIF-Okay-OK-Agree-Agreeing-Yep-Aw-yeah-Yeah-Fuck-yeah-yes-Clint-Eastwood-nod-nodding-GIF.gif

Last edited:
I really hope we go for the title, not that I think we will but if we go for it we will come bloody close.

How good will it be to see the Premier League trophy being lifted at White Hart Lane before it gets knocked down?

Last night we won a game where previously we would have crumble and we look like a title contender, can we actually do it? There is no real front runner with Leicester not having any experience in the top half, Woolwich and City being inconsistent and United being plain shit.

I think it is definitely possible but can't see it happening, what do you think?
Mate - pull your head in. Let's just get on with the next game. Everton away - hard team to beat. They will be pissed at getting poor decisions against them.
One game at a time.

Back
Top Bottom