Can we win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can we win the league?

• Yes we can and we will, we are a strong team

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • We have a chance but it is unlikely

Votes: 116 81.7%
  • We have absolutely zero chance of being champions

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Last night we won a game where previously we would have crumble and we look like a title contender, can we actually do it? There is no real front runner with Leicester not having any experience in the top half, Woolwich and City being inconsistent and United being plain shit.

I think it is definitely possible but can't see it happening, what do you think?

You know what, I really didn't believe we could a couple weeks ago and rubbished any reports or articles saying we could but when you look at the table, we have as much of a chance as anyone.

We have the best defence in the league so far and we're scoring a lot of goals too. The last two seasons we finished with a goal difference of +5 and +4 and this season we're already at +17. This really feels like a different Tottenham to years past and what has stopped us from finishing higher in previous years was probably our defence.

I voted the 2nd option in the poll because we'd need an enormous amount of luck to do so. As great as we have been, can we beat out City and Woolwich for the 2nd half of the season? I think top 4 would be more than good enough for us and we can build on that for next year with CL football in our last ever season at WHL.

Let's hope Levy backs Poch in the January window... if Kane goes down we are fucked

Probably not but this season has been odd to say the least. For me to have a realistic chance we need to get a few top players in Jan.

Definitely a top striker, perhaps another top class play maker and another powerful midfielder to help the likes of Dier and Dembele, someone like Witsel for example.

Get that, remain relatively injury free and hope for a few slip ups from Woolwich and City and maybe just maybe something might happen.

Realistically I think we have a good shot at top 3 though.

The league this season is the most open its been for years and we are a big chance to finish in the top 2: Our goal difference has improved massively this year and this could feature in the final calculations, its that close!

Another factor will be how our younger players cope in the second half of the season, form and fitness wise. This will be a test for poch and how he manages the squad.

It's fantastic that this is even in the conversation at this point in the season, but I can do without the crushing weight of expectation, again.

If we can qualify for the CL next season, in any way, my expectations will have been well and truly exceeded :levywhoa:

Oh good, "mind the gap" is back......
troll.jpg

Last night we won a game where previously we would have crumble and we look like a title contender.

i think people look way too deeply in to stuff in football.
if the ball had been an inch more over the line then we lose 2-1.

that doesnt mean id say same old spurs, crumbling.
it was just 1 of those games that could have gone either way.
either side could have nicked it. same with the newcastle game.

so because it wasnt an inch more over the line, this means we showed great strength & character!
the playerss mentally willed the ball not to go any further over the line.

so did we crumble in the newcastle game? should we have questioned our mentality & top 4 hopes after that.
no, it was just 1 of those games where it goes wrong & the players dont perform.
it happens. will happen again too.

also we have got way less last minute winners this season. so does that mean we were mentally stronger last year?
nope it doesnt.

its a long old season! just a bad run of 5 or 6 games & we could be a few places outside the top 4.

as mentioned a million times before, we are 1 kane injury away from being a much weaker & blunter team.

i cant see levy really backing poch with a decent kane & dier back up in january.
we would need that to challenge for the title.

title talk will just leave u disappointed.

i think people look way too deeply in to stuff in football.
if the ball had been an inch more over the line then we lose 2-1.

that doesnt mean id say same old spurs, crumbling.
it was just 1 of those games that could have gone either way.
either side could have nicked it. same with the newcastle game.

so because it wasnt an inch more over the line, this means we showed great strength & character!
the playerss mentally willed the ball not to go any further over the line.

so did we crumble in the newcastle game? should we have questioned our mentality & top 4 hopes after that.
no, it was just 1 of those games where it goes wrong & the players dont perform.
it happens. will happen again too.

also we have got way less last minute winners this season. so does that mean we were mentally stronger last year?
nope it doesnt.

its a long old season! just a bad run of 5 or 6 games & we could be a few places outside the top 4.

as mentioned a million times before, we are 1 kane injury away from being a much weaker & blunter team.

i cant see levy really backing poch with a decent kane & dier back up in january.
we would need that to challenge for the title.

title talk will just leave u disappointed.
Agree with some parts but its more about the luck part of it and our resiliency. Sure we could have gone down but there were other times where we showed that bit of grit, guts and determination that wins trophies and gets Champions League places, for example that tackle from Dier or the composure from Tommy Carroll not to lose his shit at Ighalo after getting punched in the face and instead play on with blood spilling into his mouth. I know things can change really quickly in football but it is those little things that win matches.

If we ever were to challenge for the title, it's only because of how shit the league is this season
What is shit about it?
Chavs are hovering above relegation, Bin dippers barely in top 10, Manure in turmoil. I think it is fantastic! Unless of course you think a "good" league is having the same teams in the top 4 year after year.

:dierpochhug: Not having a pop at you personally fella, it's just I think it's a fantastic league, one of the most compelling I can remember.

Yes. Absolutely yes. I've been saying it for a few weeks now, we're going to win the league.

I look forward to playing the big games now, city, Woolwich, Leicester :levystare:because I just see an opportunity to deny our opponents points. We fear no one, can win any game. Best defence, highest GD, lowest loses, most coherent team, best belief and momentum. Youngest squad, best fitness. Barring a key long term injury it is ours for the taking.

And claims that the league is shit and that's why we're in with a chance is nonsense. The league is the strongest it has ever been which means the big teams are losing to smaller teams...well, except us. That's why we might win the league because we are losing less than everyone else. We had a slow start getting to grips and that is the only reason we are not yet top. But we have got stronger as the season has gone on.
You'll all start to believe soon, don't feel bad.:ledley:

What is shit about it?
Chavs are hovering above relegation, Bin dippers barely in top 10, Manure in turmoil. I think it is fantastic! Unless of course you think a "good" league is having the same teams in the top 4 year after year.

:dierpochhug: Not having a pop at you personally fella, it's just I think it's a fantastic league, one of the most compelling I can remember.
quality wise its shit ,
entertainment wise its great!

its good having a different top 4 & the underdogs are doing well.
but u cant get away from the fact that the usual top teams are a lot craper & poorer.
its good for us & it wont diminish any achievement we make.
but it is a factor in why the likes of leicester are in the top 2.

Last edited:
Agree with some parts but its more about the luck part of it and our resiliency. Sure we could have gone down but there were other times where we showed that bit of grit, guts and determination that wins trophies and gets Champions League places, for example that tackle from Dier or the composure from Tommy Carroll not to lose his shit at Ighalo after getting punched in the face and instead play on with blood spilling into his mouth. I know things can change really quickly in football but it is those little things that win matches.
no, i agree we are tougher & more resilient overall.
we have toughened up for sure.
& that is pleasing.
but i wouldnt look too deeply in to it & making it in to a reason why we wil win the title.

their are a lot more bigger & important reasons that contribute to that.

quality wise its shit ,
entertainment wise its great!

its good having a different top 4 & the underdogs are doing well.
but u cant get away from the fact that the usual top teams are a lot craper & poorer.
its good for us & it wont diminish any achievement we make.
but it is a factor in why the likes of leicester are in the top 2.
I still don't understand how you define "quality" just because Manure and co are playing shit. I'd argue the league has more "quality" than in previous years, with Bournemouth, Newcastle, Palace and now Stoke all playing football.

Back
Top Bottom