"British Soccer is Trendy"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, I suppose so. The owner of the bar is actually a Spurs fan, so match days would probably bode much better for me. It's weird, but people really don't get it here. And not just with football-- fairweather fans are in abundance for every sport. You're American, so I know I don't need to tell you twice about how much of a joke Miami Heat fans are.

Still, I find it audacious that someone at a bar would tell me to tone down the shouting during a match that big.

I'm fucking sorry dude. That is horrible!

I was able to go absolutely bat shit insane when we scored and people were EXCITED I was that loud!! If I were at a bar and someone told me to calm down during the World Cup (or any match for that matter), I would tell them to fuck off.

I cannot fucking believe what I just had to witness.

So, there's a guy at my work (work with him fairly rarely). Today he comes along and tells me he's a Chelsea fan. He let me know this when I was telling a buddy that I'm trying to get into Spurs overhears me saying that the season starts in 2 weeks. He doesn't say who he watches at first. He just says he's bummed that his team is losing their best player for £45 mil. I thought he said £85 so I thought he was referring to Suarez and assumed he watched Liverpool. I gave him a little bit of shit. He then just assumes I watch fucking Woolwich! I immediately said "fuck no I don't watch Woolwich. Get out of here with that bullshit." So he goes on to say "Man U?" I told him I watch Spurs and he laughs and said "oh, you're really defending the bottom of the barrel." Another colleague immediately said something else knowing how enraged I was about to get. Anyway, I said something about how they're not gonna even make top 4 and how this past season was a fluke. And he agrees with me. Remember, I still think he watches Liverpool at this point. Anyway, I ask him how he started watching and he tells me that one of the ships he was on pulled into Scotland and he saw a friendly between a Man City and Chelsea. I didn't really understand how he became a Liverpool fan from this, so I asked him. He said, no, I watch Chelsea. After this we had to do training, but once I could speak to him again I asked if he watches matches at the bar. He said, "no, I've got a wife and two kids at home." I just politely left it at that.

How the fuck do these people exist? He should've just said, I am a Chelsea fan, but really don't follow that closely. That's it. I can understand they. Instead he agreed with me that there's no way they finish top 4...fucking WHAT?? And that he's sad they got rid of David Luiz. Apparently he's the only person on the planet that is disappointed in that transfer.

I cannot fucking believe what I just had to witness.

So, there's a guy at my work (work with him fairly rarely). Today he comes along and tells me he's a Chelsea fan. He let me know this when I was telling a buddy that I'm trying to get into Spurs overhears me saying that the season starts in 2 weeks. He doesn't say who he watches at first. He just says he's bummed that his team is losing their best player for £45 mil. I thought he said £85 so I thought he was referring to Suarez and assumed he watched Liverpool. I gave him a little bit of shit. He then just assumes I watch fucking Woolwich! I immediately said "fuck no I don't watch Woolwich. Get out of here with that bullshit." So he goes on to say "Man U?" I told him I watch Spurs and he laughs and said "oh, you're really defending the bottom of the barrel." Another colleague immediately said something else knowing how enraged I was about to get. Anyway, I said something about how they're not gonna even make top 4 and how this past season was a fluke. And he agrees with me. Remember, I still think he watches Liverpool at this point. Anyway, I ask him how he started watching and he tells me that one of the ships he was on pulled into Scotland and he saw a friendly between a Man City and Chelsea. I didn't really understand how he became a Liverpool fan from this, so I asked him. He said, no, I watch Chelsea. After this we had to do training, but once I could speak to him again I asked if he watches matches at the bar. He said, "no, I've got a wife and two kids at home." I just politely left it at that.

How the fuck do these people exist? He should've just said, I am a Chelsea fan, but really don't follow that closely. That's it. I can understand they. Instead he agreed with me that there's no way they finish top 4...fucking WHAT?? And that he's sad they got rid of David Luiz. Apparently he's the only person on the planet that is disappointed in that transfer.

Yeah i'm not that all surprised. The area of Sydney where i'm from is heavily anglo, so most people support Chelsea, United or Woolwich and have no idea about sokka. Unless their "team" wins then they won't shut the fuck up even though they don't know any players, or watch a single game. Grinds my gears big time

Benjamin Benjamin

Actually, it makes perfect sense. I haven't yet met a Chelsea fan in the States that actually knows their shit or really follows the team.

The bar I watch football in isn't dedicated to one team. So, I wind up interacting with all sorts of different teams fans. The Chelsea fans I usually run into at least know that dropping David Luiz for 40 mil was the deal of the decade after his WC.

The bar I watch football in isn't dedicated to one team. So, I wind up interacting with all sorts of different teams fans. The Chelsea fans I usually run into at least know that dropping David Luiz for 40 mil was the deal of the decade after his WC.
Most of the bars I've been to in Chicago to go and watch games are home to one of the different supporter's groups, and I can have a decent conversation with most of them with a few exceptions. The absolute worst though, by far, are the Liverpool fans. To my mind, the absolute lowest of the low for American soccer fans are the Liverpool ones. Know nothing, cocky jerkoffs.

Most of the bars I've been to in Chicago to go and watch games are home to one of the different supporter's groups, and I can have a decent conversation with most of them with a few exceptions. The absolute worst though, by far, are the Liverpool fans. To my mind, the absolute lowest of the low for American soccer fans are the Liverpool ones. Know nothing, cocky jerkoffs.
Here are my observations from the different supporters groups in Nashville:

Woolwich = frat bros and know-nothings. no use trying to talk footy with these people
Chelsea = hipsters and rednecks. like to give a lot of shit, but don't know a lot
Liverpool = sketchy skinheads, scumbags, weird anglophiles, and shittalkers. I steer clear
Man U = actually ok. I've had many good conversations with these guys
Everton = only a couple, but normal guys that know their stuff
Man City = lol. there are only a few and they are clueless

We used to share a pub with all of these clubs (have our own now) and they generally view us as the drunk and loud guys that sing even when we lose and celebrate wins against the likes of Swansea. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Keep it going all you Stateside soccer fans. For sure some will be less than knowledgeable about their teams & the game. But take a cyber trawl round football forums any day, and you'll read mucho nonsencio all over the shop.

And it's even worse down the pubs!!

Here are my observations from the different supporters groups in Nashville:

Woolwich = frat bros and know-nothings. no use trying to talk footy with these people

Chelsea = hipsters and rednecks. like to give a lot of shit, but don't know a lot
Liverpool = sketchy skinheads, scumbags, weird anglophiles, and shittalkers. I steer clear
Man U = actually ok. I've had many good conversations with these guys
Everton = only a couple, but normal guys that know their stuff
Man City = lol. there are only a few and they are clueless

We used to share a pub with all of these clubs (have our own now) and they generally view us as the drunk and loud guys that sing even when we lose and celebrate wins against the likes of Swansea. I'll take it.

Kind of the same over here, this is what I normally see with the below fan groups.

Woolwich = middle class wine bar snobs, Piers Morgan is an Woolwich fan and he is a typical gooner. in America this brand of fan would be your liberal up their arse elite mixed with conservative corporate executive type. If you have never picked up a shovel or never changed a light bulb Woolwich is for you.

Chelsea = Old fans are skinhead chavs always in fights, news fans are glory hunters with no loyalty

Liverpool = Got to be careful with this as half my family are scouse. Liverpool fans from the Liverpool itself tend to be a passionate bunch and they revel in their working class (blue collar) appeal/culture, basically for Americans think of Pittsburgh and the Steelers. southern Liverpool fans are either glory hunters from the old times (70's, 80's) or oddballs.

Man U = These fans come in all shapes and sizes, most though are not hard core footy fans and don't go to many games.

Everton = Like Liverpoool fans but with the emotions turned down.

Man City = Old fans are scummy chavs, new ones are idiot glory hunters, a northern Chelsea basically.

Last edited:
Harsh but fair to us...very fair to Woolwich..

"or you could go with Southampton. They have had a free flowing style and punch above their weight."

P.S. By the way, did I ever express my hatred for this piss poor American, (not) funny, bullshit recaps of teams and the league in general? NBC Sports has done a pretty good job at a season preview, but everything else is just shit on top of more shit. This is the byproduct of someone who knows little to nothing about the game, but did 30 minutes of research to develop some talking points.

The let's watch Spurs cause Yedlin train seems to have pulled into the station...and it's filled with idiots.

Absolute idiots. For both the fact that this guy goes on to say "HotSpurs" and for the fact that we're not even CLOSE to being like Dallas. If anyone is like Dallas it's Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom