Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I always thought that our left backs after Atouba were good; Lee, Edman, Ekotto, but they were all better going forward than anything else.

Hence one of my recent posts about a left back who can defend, agree your list were great going forward (BAE's crossing in particular) but a solid aware LB for Spurs would be nice

A left back who can defend will be a novelty.

When was the last one?
Good question. Cyril Knowles is my all time best LB, and was a good defender, but a lot of his attributes were attacking. Chris Hughton could stake a claim I guess, but maybe we have to go all the way back to Ron Henry for a good solid defensive left back. What's for sure, it's been a position we've been very weak in far too often

All shite, Ekotto when he had his head screwed on was aces. Gave up caring when we gave up caring about him....shame really

I would have taken him back, but that quenelle shit last season was the last straw. He really had a good career at Spurs and managed to piss all over it..

Bale had great talent but he was so dedicated to self improvement he just seems to get better and better. Bale was not as good as Barkley or sterling at their age but then again Rooney was better than bale at age 20 so development is an unpredictable business.

My gut feeling is that Barkley will be better than Rooney or Gerrard, he has a class about him i haven't seen since gazza but he is still 2-3 years away from consistent performances. Shaw and stones will be probably the best two young players in the prem next year but we have no chance with either of them
Fair comments, though I doubt Barkley will ever be anywhere near as good as Gerrard. Gerrard was an exceptional footballer for many years. If Barkley could do what Gerrard did in a CL final, or even what he did in an FA Cup final that'd be some achievement. I'm forever indebted to Stevie G for fucking over West Ham in 2006 :)

Bale can be as good or even better than Stevie G or Rooney, and I don't think Barkley will come anywhere near Bale's level. Bale is simply phenomenal, so much power and ability in one player. My only fear for him is injuries, which he seems susceptible to, that might just stop him becoming an all time great. Not that he'll become a Pele or Maradona, but he could become on a level with Ryan Giggs, though that's a tough ask.

Fair comments, though I doubt Barkley will ever be anywhere near as good as Gerrard. Gerrard was an exceptional footballer for many years. If Barkley could do what Gerrard did in a CL final, or even what he did in an FA Cup final that'd be some achievement. I'm forever indebted to Stevie G for fucking over West Ham in 2006 :)

Bale can be as good or even better than Stevie G or Rooney, and I don't think Barkley will come anywhere near Bale's level. Bale is simply phenomenal, so much power and ability in one player. My only fear for him is injuries, which he seems susceptible to, that might just stop him becoming an all time great. Not that he'll become a Pele or Maradona, but he could become on a level with Ryan Giggs, though that's a tough ask.

Don't know would prefer bale to giggs in his prime think bale has more in his locker than giggs, would take Scholes over bale, giggs, even ronaldo, best player I have seen in the prem IMO. Scholes ran the united midfield for over a decade, Zindane and xavi think he is the best midfielder in the last few decades, all footballers love Scholes. Thought giggs and beckham where nowhere near Scholes yet got more credit than they deserved, bale deserves everything he gets.

Think with Barkley you have to remember he is 20 and bale and Gerrard where good at 20 but some of things Barkley did last season make me think of gazza.

BtQS39oIgAEJ92H.jpg:large

Don't know would prefer bale to giggs in his prime think bale has more in his locker than giggs, would take Scholes over bale, giggs, even ronaldo, best player I have seen in the prem IMO. Scholes ran the united midfield for over a decade, Zindane and xavi think he is the best midfielder in the last few decades, all footballers love Scholes. Thought giggs and beckham where nowhere near Scholes yet got more credit than they deserved, bale deserves everything he gets.

Think with Barkley you have to remember he is 20 and bale and Gerrard where good at 20 but some of things Barkley did last season make me think of gazza.
Ah well about opinions. I agree Bale has more in his locker than Giggs, but he has a long way to match Gigg's achievements.To me it's what you do over your whole career, which is why I rate Giggs above Best for example. Best had more talent, but Giggs produced far more for Utd. I take your point about Scholes,but I never liked him because of his vicious tackling, should have been red carded far more than he was,

I believe in a poll Utd fans rated Giggs their all time best player, but times change. For me Utd's greatest ever player was Charlton, also think he's England's greatest ever as well, but these things are notoriously hard to decide on.

I just can't see Barkley ever getting anywhere near Gerrard's level. Gerrard is an all time Prem great, with so much in his particular array of attributes.

Gazza like Best wasted much of his career, but even more so. I would rate Bale already past Gazza, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Barkley reach Gazza's level overall, though Gazza at his best had more in his locker than Barkley ever will IMHO. Maybe I'm wrong, Barkley will have to leave Everton for us to see how far he can go. I doubt that England will be a big enough stage to base his claim to greatness on.

Ah well about opinions. I agree Bale has more in his locker than Giggs, but he has a long way to match Gigg's achievements.To me it's what you do over your whole career, which is why I rate Giggs above Best for example. Best had more talent, but Giggs produced far more for Utd. I take your point about Scholes,but I never liked him because of his vicious tackling, should have been red carded far more than he was,

I believe in a poll Utd fans rated Giggs their all time best player, but times change. For me Utd's greatest ever player was Charlton, also think he's England's greatest ever as well, but these things are notoriously hard to decide on.

I just can't see Barkley ever getting anywhere near Gerrard's level. Gerrard is an all time Prem great, with so much in his particular array of attributes.

Gazza like Best wasted much of his career, but even more so. I would rate Bale already past Gazza, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Barkley reach Gazza's level overall, though Gazza at his best had more in his locker than Barkley ever will IMHO. Maybe I'm wrong, Barkley will have to leave Everton for us to see how far he can go. I doubt that England will be a big enough stage to base his claim to greatness on.

To me the lauding of Giggs and Beckham represent why we are behind in football on the World stage, a great cross and amazing run look great on youtube but it's controlling a game that's more important and Scholes was far better than either of them, he is the footballers footballer, you ask Pele, Zidane all the greats what Prem player they would want and time and time again it's Scholes not Henry, Ronaldo, Giggs and so on because in the modern tactical team game running the midfield is the most important job and Scholes was the best although you are correct he was a little shit at times.

Barkley has great ability but more importantly a football brain he knows who is around him and makes good decisions, basically has it all if he works hard the Bale way he can go on and become anything but he could equally take the Rooney route and rest on his laurels.

Barkley has great ability but more importantly a football brain he knows who is around him and makes good decisions, basically has it all if he works hard the Bale way he can go on and become anything but he could equally take the Rooney route and rest on his laurels.

No he does not. He could have had created so many chances last year if he did.

He's just a Townsend+.

I would rate Bale already past Gazza,
Disagree with this. Gazza did more for us than Bale, and people forget but he did well in Italy once he'd recovered (as much as he did recover). He didn't win a champions league but then he was in a much more competitive league with a much weaker squad. Then internationally he obviously achieved significantly more than Bale.

No he does not. He could have had created so many chances last year if he did.

He's just a Townsend+.

Yes he can be selfish but I found his passing range and ability to play players not in his field of vision top draw, yes he is young and needs to learn but his football brain is not comparable to Townsend.

Disagree with this. Gazza did more for us than Bale, and people forget but he did well in Italy once he'd recovered (as much as he did recover). He didn't win a champions league but then he was in a much more competitive league with a much weaker squad. Then internationally he obviously achieved significantly more than Bale.

Gazza for me will always be a what if, so much talent if only he had the attitude of Bale to development and fitness, rare player a flawed genius as the saying goes. Probably the most naturally gifted player Spurs have ever had. I know up in Scotland Rangers fans still love him as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom