Audi Cup 2015 - showing on Premier Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham play Real Madrid in the Audi Cup “semi-final” in Munich on Tuesday, before facing either Bayern Munich or AC Milan on Wednesday. Then it’s back to London on Thursday to prepare for Saturday lunchtime’s Premier League opener against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

If it seems like Spurs have hardly given themselves a chance to prepare for a huge league game, it’s because we haven’t. Throw into the mix the fact that Mauricio Pochettino has included just one striker – Harry Kane – and two wingers – Nacer Chadli and Erik Lamela – in the 23-man Audi Cup squad, the whole situation seems mildly farcical.

What’s more, Spurs tried to have the clash at Old Trafford pushed back to Sunday because of the Audi Cup, a proposal rejected by the Premier League (obviously), suggesting Pochettino is well aware he doesn’t have sufficient time or players to properly prepare for the season opener.

“You need to accept to come to the tournament before the end of the last season and you never know [your fixtures for the new one],” the Argentine said in Munich.

“It is not a big problem. We are ready to compete tomorrow and Wednesday and after to compete on Saturday. We tried to change the (United) game to Sunday but it was impossible for the Premier League and we said we needed to manage (things) in a different way.

“It is important for us to share the time between all of the squad because it is true we play Saturday morning but I think that we will arrive nearly at 100 per cent.”

After spending last season lamenting the lack of time on the training field in the build-up to big matches, usually caused by the Europa League, Pochettino has been forced to play not one, but two, meaningless games just days before one of the more testing away matches in the Premier League calendar.

Incidentally, Chelsea are the ONLY other Premier League club with a pre-season match still to play. Spurs have two.

I’m normally very positive about the club on this blog but the Audi Cup strikes me as a shameful example of corporate interests trumping football interests. Will Harry Kane, our only striker, be forced to play two games in as many days and then start at Old Trafford? What if he picks up a knock?

If we get turned over by United, we won’t be the last team to be beaten at Old Trafford in the coming season but it will be hard not to feel that Spurs gave themselves the worst possible chance of success, in a bid to boost the brand.

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2015...match-at-man-united-because-of-the-audi-cup/?

Always? If it's always I can't understand why you guys bother..

To be honest I contradicted myself a bit by putting 'always' and then 'most of the time'. You know what I mean. Its a good day out, having a laugh then we lose at home 1-0 to some utter shite team. Luckily I've learnt not to take it personally and just enjoy the day regardless. Some get angry, I just laugh and say 'This is Spurs, it's what we do', then rock up week after week going through the same.

Being fair, it is worth going through all the shit for the moments of magic that do happen. And I guess that is why 'us guys' keep doing it.

Lot of hate for it on Social Media because it will "destroy confidence" but I think it has its merits.

Same fans that will moan that we don't get Champions League football, yet we play Champions League quality teams in a meaningless friendly and they still moan.

A Google search suggests this years Audi cup is in Auatralia in Mid July....

Are we sure we are not in the Aldi Cup ? ( Which Supermarket of the year 2013 :pochsmirk:)

I will up this now from time to time before it starts, so nobody misses out :) . Please join us on Tuesday. As more we are, the better it will be.

See you there!

I'm shooting a video for Spurs' media channel, just go on my GoPro & DSLR but I notified them about meeting at Kennedy's and they said they might send the crew down.

I'm basically documenting a fan's journey from White Hart Lane to Munich, if anyone wants to get involved please like this post and I will share my email address.

TK
COYS!

We've got a game on Saturday at 1245 and were dicking around in Germany for some worthless tin cup.

Where is the chairmans head?

How can you take the club seriously If we get bum raped on a Sunday after a Europa league match and Poch says the players are tired.

Last edited:
At least we have an excuse ready mixed for the 4-0 drubbing coming our way Saturday.

"We were tired from getting done 4-0 by Real Madrid"
I'm sure some Spurs 'fans' wouldn't mind us losing on Saturday just so they can prove a point.

Back at home!

Great trip. Thanks to everybody who came to Kennedys before and after the matches. Atmosphere was absolutely brillant. Guess 200-300 Spurs headed there, way more than expected :adethumbup:. The karaoke evening was the icing on the cake after the tournament.

Also nice that we had quite a lot Spurs in block 223 at Day 1 and probably even more in 335, where the whole thing went a bit mental in the last 20 minutes of our game against AC Milan were Spurs fans created all the noise :freundgoal:

Brillant experience, hope Spurs come back to Germany soon!

Got back last night. Really enjoyed this tournament. Foo Fighters "Learn to Fly" now evokes mixed emotions after it was played for Bale's goal against Spurs but then Chadli and Tommy Carroll's goals against AC Milan.

Was clear that players were only running at 50% effort for the first game but only to be expected for a friendly, and anything other than a BM/RM final would have caused uproar in the Audi corporate box.

Best bits: Drinking beer while watching the game (and buying it from the beer usher coming round during the game.
Cheeky winding up of the frauleine in the bar by persistently asking them to top up the glass to not have a 50% head on it.
Imagining this was a 61k stadium instead of a 70k stadium (not too different after all) and how that might feel.
Spurs winning the only game that didn't have a pre-ordained result.

Worst bits:
Bale's goal. Felt crushed...
Queuing 3 times to get my beer: first because they said "No cash only card", second because they said "No credit card only BM card" and third time with my charged up BM card. But oh well I guess it's all part of the German efficiency thing: messing around with payments at the bar only slows things down and once I had the hang of it it made sense. Even the toilets had one-way entrance exit doors to improve efficiency....

Munich too was fantastic during the day. We went to the Englischer Park. Afterwards we got on a tram at ParadiesStrasse that was completely chocka with teenage frauleins in bikinis travelling from the downstream end of the parks fast flowing river back to the start.
:ledleylick:

Results in pre season are meaningless, we had a great pre season under Ramos, think our last friendly we spanked Roma, then had 2 points from 8 games. These sort of cups are more of an exhibition than anything.

Will be looking out for more info about this, sounds good to me.

I know these tournaments don't mean much but they could have spent a bit more money on the actual cup!!
3145FCISLrL._SX425_.jpg

I went to the 2013 one with a few mates while we were in Germany. There are 2 days with semi finals on the first day, and a 3rd place play off and a Final on the second day. The tickets are sold by the day so if you buy one ticket you get 2 games. First day was €20 and the second day was €40 - pretty fair for 2 games each. Great event, fairly priced booze in the ground. Well worth the journey for the city, the beer, the weather and the football.

Back
Top Bottom