Audi Cup 2015 - showing on Premier Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Coulthirst didn't even travel for this I see. So this should be interesting with two games to play 3 days before going to Old Trafford and Kane as our only striker. I assume Chadli may have to play striker for at least one of these matches? Even at that he should start Saturday so do we want him getting a full 90 Wednesday? I must say the decision to play in the Audi Cup and management leaving us with only one striker is setting the start of our season up for disaster.

Tottenham play Real Madrid in the Audi Cup “semi-final” in Munich on Tuesday, before facing either Bayern Munich or AC Milan on Wednesday. Then it’s back to London on Thursday to prepare for Saturday lunchtime’s Premier League opener against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

If it seems like Spurs have hardly given themselves a chance to prepare for a huge league game, it’s because we haven’t. Throw into the mix the fact that Mauricio Pochettino has included just one striker – Harry Kane – and two wingers – Nacer Chadli and Erik Lamela – in the 23-man Audi Cup squad, the whole situation seems mildly farcical.

What’s more, Spurs tried to have the clash at Old Trafford pushed back to Sunday because of the Audi Cup, a proposal rejected by the Premier League (obviously), suggesting Pochettino is well aware he doesn’t have sufficient time or players to properly prepare for the season opener.

“You need to accept to come to the tournament before the end of the last season and you never know [your fixtures for the new one],” the Argentine said in Munich.

“It is not a big problem. We are ready to compete tomorrow and Wednesday and after to compete on Saturday. We tried to change the (United) game to Sunday but it was impossible for the Premier League and we said we needed to manage (things) in a different way.

“It is important for us to share the time between all of the squad because it is true we play Saturday morning but I think that we will arrive nearly at 100 per cent.”

After spending last season lamenting the lack of time on the training field in the build-up to big matches, usually caused by the Europa League, Pochettino has been forced to play not one, but two, meaningless games just days before one of the more testing away matches in the Premier League calendar.

Incidentally, Chelsea are the ONLY other Premier League club with a pre-season match still to play. Spurs have two.

I’m normally very positive about the club on this blog but the Audi Cup strikes me as a shameful example of corporate interests trumping football interests. Will Harry Kane, our only striker, be forced to play two games in as many days and then start at Old Trafford? What if he picks up a knock?

If we get turned over by United, we won’t be the last team to be beaten at Old Trafford in the coming season but it will be hard not to feel that Spurs gave themselves the worst possible chance of success, in a bid to boost the brand.

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2015...match-at-man-united-because-of-the-audi-cup/?

Sorry but this is making me more fucking angry by the minute. Clearly this is just a cash grab by the club yet we sit and squabble over fees on new signings going into a new season very ill prepared. With the early signings of Trippier, Toby and Wimmer I thought we finally had "gotten it" but no. Not only did we know in May we needed another few strikers and DM, but the shit ones we had are off and we are left even in worse shape than we were at the end of the season. It is quite ridiculous.

Did you get charged their £8 connection fee on top of that, or was that all it cost you?

No, £9.99 in total. You get their HD channel for that price too so I think it's a decent deal.

Two months of PS HD + £8 connection would normally cost £32 so it's a big saving.

SKY Customers

Currently we have an offer for Spurs fans wanting to see their team in the Audi Cup.

Get your 1st 2 months subscription with no connection fee for only £9.99. Use promo code: AUDISPURS

http://www.premiersports.tv/info/faqs/

I agree this tournament is stupid in light of our fixtures. Sure, it was organised before the fixtures were drawn (i think) and certainly before it was moved to the early Saturday kick off. However, they should have known that it was a possibility, given that there was almost a 1 in 4 chance we'd be drawn against another top prem side that would make for a solid televised game.

HOWEVER I think this line that keeps getting peddled "what if Kane gets injured" is a bit silly. He could just as easily get injured in training for a start. He could also even more easily get injured for a long period against united.
I think it's needless to be worried about that for these friendlies.

For me it's the lack of proper preparation and the fact the manager has come out and confirmed that it wasn't ideal as we tried to get the united game moved (which is utterly ridiculous)

Hopefully when we have our new stadium we can put on our own version of the Emirates cup and all these teams can come over to our gaff instead, at a time that best suits us.

Back
Top Bottom