Audi Cup 2015 - showing on Premier Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the timing is stupid too. However I doubt poch is going to send them out there to play at 100% and will no doubt make wholesale subs in both games and play plenty of youth.

Has been a weird pre season though. I realise we've played a few games at the training ground which I think was a good idea. But to only have 3 in front of crowds and all of them coming so close to the start of the season is odd.

The start of this season has been so badly managed. The so-called prestige of playing in the Audi cup is a crock (think that's how our American cousins would describe it). Surely our priority has to be the League, and knackering out our first team squad on meaningless friendlies seems a waste of time and energy. Why are we risking our players' health in this way?

Agree with all of that, but on the bright side isn't the Audi Cup just a semi then a final ?
Or do we have to play for 3rd and 4th place on Wednesday anyway ?

Starting XI to play Tuesday, reserves / subs on Wednesday. Anyone impresses enough then they can maybe squeeze into the starting XI for United.

Good practice for playing every other midweek or daft for not giving us a full week off before a league game, who knows.

The start of this season has been so badly managed. The so-called prestige of playing in the Audi cup is a crock (think that's how our American cousins would describe it). Surely our priority has to be the League, and knackering out our first team squad on meaningless friendlies seems a waste of time and energy. Why are we risking our players' health in this way?
New players getting used to their new teammates in a semi competitive environment. Re working drills and set plays, working to the managers tactical plan

and making the most of commercial opportunities

Start the Madrid game with our first 11 for Saturday and then a completely separate 11 against Milan (most likely)?

I don't mind this being so close, the boys haven't been exerted on pre season and a decent run about 4 days before a competitive match has many merits.

This will not be a hindrance as long as it's managed properly

Also, bear in mind, there's an element of prestige (even in a bs friendly) of playin the likes of RM and BM so it's good for some of the more inexperienced players, even so close to Saturday!

I understand the fixtures are close to match day, but as stated if the first choice XI play just over a half in the first game they'll be fine.
Also are people really talking about tiredness and jet lag for a flight to Germany? It's no longer than some train/coach rides.

When they announced it I didn't even consider it was this close to the season.

Absolute madness, we've so far played one friendly and the season starts in 6 days. We have 2 games between now and then, what the fuck has happened there!?

It's too close to the season, but we have played quite a few friendlies behind closed doors.

Going into the first match with only Kane and for all the fucking bitching and moaning about Europa, we have two matches midweek before the start of the season against Man U. Fucking hypocritical twats all over.

Vorm
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dembele- Bentaleb
Lamela- Eriksen - Chadli
Kane​

vs. Real Madrid

--

Vorm
Trippier - Dier - Wimmer - Davies
Carroll - Alli
Yedlin - Onomah - Oduwa
Coulthirst​

vs. Third place opposition.

Is there much difference in playing a friendly in front of 80,000 three days before the start of the season and playing behind closed doors friendlies and practice matches at the Training Centre, which we've done since pussy was a kitten? Do we not think that if no game was arranged that Poch wouldn't have run the players hard in the week leading up to the United game?

No difference as far as I can see, aside from a short 2 hour flight being a bit of an inconvenience. Upside heavily outweighs perceived negatives.

There's a massive difference between a close doors friendly and this asda cup.

There are gonna be 80,000 fans that have paid and want to be entertained. Each player will give at least 30-40 per cent more efforr than they would in a close door match. It's also a pride thing, no player is going to look like they don't give a shit in front of that many people.
A close door match is in a different mindset alltogether

Back
Top Bottom