Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You see? Comprehension.

What I actually wrote is that Emery is a better tactician than Ange. Not that his tactics on the day were better.

I can’t argue against points you’ve invented. So you can continue winning imaginary arguments and give yourself a nice pat on the back for it, but I’m not interested.
You know, you're right, you didn't post that his tactics in the day were better, so apologies for that.

However, you did post that his first half was a tactical masterclass, so that's probably where I've misconstrued.

It wasn't as it turns out, as his tactics effectively exhausted his players.

Lastly, leave the digs out of it. I'm not more interested in scoring points on here than you are.

You aren't are you?

You know, you're right, you didn't post that his tactics in the day were better, so apologies for that.

However, you did post that his first half was a tactical masterclass, so that's probably where I've misconstrued.

It wasn't as it turns out, as his tactics effectively exhausted his players.

Lastly, leave the digs out of it. I'm not more interested in scoring points on here than you are.

You aren't are you?

I don’t know where the ‘exhausted his players’ stuff comes from, honestly. I’ll have to re-watch the game but I thought they came out second half looking energised. The mistakes they made had warning signs in the first half. I don’t think they looked comfortable playing out all game, right from when Cash (I think) was forced in to the corner. Our press was very good all match.

Our first goal is just a moment of pure quality. Sarr has no right to find Maddison there, it’s great stuff. And then their playing out is just tentative and poor, which it had been at time first half .. only now they’re a bit shell shocked by going behind.

Emery was relying on continuing to keep it tight (as they did first half) and us to make errors (which did happen first half) because I think he was rightly scared of what we could do to their backline. They have very little athleticism back there currently. We exposed that when they opened up.

Again, we saw a week before they conceded a shit load of chances to Luton in the 442. They then had a tough mid-week game. I don’t think Emery fancied going to to toe with a fresh, nearly fully fit spurs team with loads of pace and intensity. Tactically I think that’s sound but on paper stuff will never fully translate.

The premise people seem to have trouble is that I believe you can set out good tactics but still lose, even badly. That’s sport, it isn’t a game of chess.

You (obviously) don’t have to agree, I’m aware it won’t be the ‘popular’ opinion. I’m just saying I can see why Emery (a four time EL winner known for being tactically strong) set out the way he did. It says a lot about our strengths because yes there was fear there but imo justifiably.

When I see continuing efforts here to keep a particular narrative about yesterday's game alive, I'm reminded of the great Burt Lancaster line to Tony Curtis in Sweet Smell of Success: "You're dead son, get yourself buried".

Aging myself again.

Nope, I posted something correct. People still don’t actually grasp what I said and still think I was calling the entire game a tactical masterclass or suggesting we weren’t good. I can’t help it if people struggle with comprehension or jump to conclusions rather than actually reading what was posted.

‘You don’t enjoy the win’ or ‘gooner!’ because I think Emery’s approach was working (it was, we had 0.02 xG first half they had 0.62, and the best opening of the game) is insane.

Second half after 1-0 they collapsed as a side and we were wonderful - esp. going forward. Some of our decision making was awesome. Correct passes and clinical finishes every single time.

Emery adjusts to opponents. I think you can see exactly why he adjusted to us when you see what happened when they were forced to press and push up. They got murdered. We are NOT a team you do that with unless you have a talent advantage (e.g City or Liverpool).

The only time we’ve seen teams take it to us and be successful are when we’ve had players missing across the team. We were at near dull strength.

And it got him a 0-4 spanking at home.

Give Postecoglou his dues:the win was not down to having a "talent advantage". Its because he won't deviate from his system. He's been called naivefor it, yet were it not for some bad luck, he'd be balls deep in winning the league in his first season.

And it got him a 0-4 spanking at home.

Give Postecoglou his dues:the win was not down to having a "talent advantage". Its because he won't deviate from his system. He's been called naivefor it, yet were it not for some bad luck, he'd be balls deep in winning the league in his first season.

I actually think he has adapted the system a bit recently.

Ange gets full credit. He’s a great motivator who has his playing with shit loads of intensity and his system is progressive and works.

We do also have better players so yep, talent advantage matters. Look at what we did in key positions compared to them.

Both coaching/individuals were at play.

I don’t know where the ‘exhausted his players’ stuff comes from, honestly. I’ll have to re-watch the game but I thought they came out second half looking energised. The mistakes they made had warning signs in the first half. I don’t think they looked comfortable playing out all game, right from when Cash (I think) was forced in to the corner. Our press was very good all match.

Our first goal is just a moment of pure quality. Sarr has no right to find Maddison there, it’s great stuff. And then their playing out is just tentative and poor, which it had been at time first half .. only now they’re a bit shell shocked by going behind.

Emery was relying on continuing to keep it tight (as they did first half) and us to make errors (which did happen first half) because I think he was rightly scared of what we could do to their backline. They have very little athleticism back there currently. We exposed that when they opened up.

Again, we saw a week before they conceded a shit load of chances to Luton in the 442. They then had a tough mid-week game. I don’t think Emery fancied going to to toe with a fresh, nearly fully fit spurs team with loads of pace and intensity. Tactically I think that’s sound but on paper stuff will never fully translate.

The premise people seem to have trouble is that I believe you can set out good tactics but still lose, even badly. That’s sport, it isn’t a game of chess.

You (obviously) don’t have to agree, I’m aware it won’t be the ‘popular’ opinion. I’m just saying I can see why Emery (a four time EL winner known for being tactically strong) set out the way he did. It says a lot about our strengths because yes there was fear there but imo justifiably.
That I don't have any issues with, he's obviously reasoned out why he did what he did.

It's very easy for us to criticise in hindsight, but I do feel this is one of the easier tactical decisions to criticise.

I watched Carragher's analysis and think he was spot on. Essentially Emery nullified everything that has made Villa successful to date, in favour of preventing us penetrating them. Basically a 'hold onto what we've got' approach before a ball was kicked, and it backfired on him spectacularly.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot more respect for Emery's abilities than you think, but he definitely got it wrong against us.

It's interesting to note that he went toe to toe with City and didn't sacrifice their potency. I suppose it's a mark of respect, whether he meant it or not, that he felt he had to do that against us.

And you say I’m boring
giphy.gif

The last 24 hours has really made me realise just how far people have gone down the rabbit hole of xG. It is a useful stat to look at a sides performance over a prolonged period of games and really should only be analysed in combination with other metrics. However for some it seems to have replaced the actual watching of the football itself in regards to how they interpret the game.

I saw on a youtube vid earlier two lads discussing the game and the words "Game of two halves", "It was all Villa in the first half", "Villa could have been 1 or 2 up at half time" and "4-0 flattered Spurs". All this coming from the sole fact that the xG was Villa 1.2 - 2.2 Spurs. However, surely anyone who watched the game would know that this is not how the game felt.

The last 24 hours has really made me realise just how far people have gone down the rabbit hole of xG. It is a useful stat to look at a sides performance over a prolonged period of games and really should only be analysed in combination with other metrics. However for some it seems to have replaced the actual watching of the football itself in regards to how they interpret the game.

I saw on a youtube vid earlier two lads discussing the game and the words "Game of two halves", "It was all Villa in the first half", "Villa could have been 1 or 2 up at half time" and "4-0 flattered Spurs". All this coming from the sole fact that the xG was Villa 1.2 - 2.2 Spurs. However, surely anyone who watched the game would know that this is not how the game felt.
xG aside, I thought Villa looked more like scoring than us in the first half - via luck/mistakes rather than good play.

Back
Top Bottom