Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just feel that having had decent showings against apparently better teams than us by trying to go toe to toe he shoulkd have stayed that way. The team have obviously been pretty well drilled in that style of play this year and apparently not much else. I think the learned behaviour would have stood them in better stead.

But like you say, impossible to know as there's only one chance at it. I'm just glad he chose the soak up and punt long option. Because turns out it was a shit o[ption.
Whilst I agree, I've taken on board the counterargument and really can't find too much fault in it.

We see it as a mistake because they got gubbed, but I can also see that going toe to toe with us could well have been a lot worse for them.

Are you a serial killer?

Just the lack of ability to pick up on a joke. Makes me think you are hiding some deeply held psychopathic tendencies.

I’ve tried to tell people for a number of years that the only website they allow people to visit at Broadmoor is this one.

People are hiding in plain sight making hundreds of posts every week, thousands every year.
You only get that much “time” when you have “time” on your hands.

You ever fancy sharing a Chianti, maybe some fava beans??, just shout me!!

As I posted to Deuterz yesterday, there's a few that use the forum as a vehicle to have a pop at other posters. They're only a small minority though.

I understand that the forum is used as a place to vent frustrations, but

All plausible and absolutely cool as a counterargument. As with most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I'd not disagree that Emery is possibly a better tactician than AP, but it's one of those where I feel the jury is out. Personally, I don't hold with the idea that tactics are all about starting lineups and how a team is set up to play. There's a lot more nuance to that with in game adjustments or tweaks. So far, AP has only implemented one particular style of playing, because it is successful most of the time. However, I do think he has shown tactical acumen with the adjustments he's made as the game progresses.

Too little time really to make that call IMO.

Emery potentially does have the edge tactically at this level, but he is also often accused of overthinking and then making tactical errors because of it.

Theyve lost 3 of their last 4 home games, 4 of their last 10 and conceded 2 against each of Burnely, Luton and Forest in that run.

Would he be doing better with a CL squad - that remains to be seen too.

One thing for sure is, when Ange has the same amount of experience as Emery does at this level I expect him to exceed Emery as a tactician and manager.

Emery potentially does have the edge tactically at this level, but he is also often accused of overthinking and then making tactical errors because of it.

Theyve lost 3 of their last 4 home games, 4 of their last 10 and conceded 2 against each of Burnely, Luton and Forest in that run.

Would he be doing better with a CL squad - that remains to be seen too.

One thing for sure is, when Ange has the same amount of experience as Emery does at this level I expect him to exceed Emery as a tactician and manager.
Or maybe he's finding that the PL is far more demanding than La Liga and you can't take any weekend domestic game, even against the bottom of the table team for granted.

This is why, IMO, more often than not, the ropey league winners are from Spain. They can play a strong team on a Thursday night, and stroll to a win against some shite at the weekend.
You pull that against almost anyone in the PL and you'll regret it. Now his squad is looking dead on its feet. The absolute state of them towards the end of the game where they looked punch dunk. That 3rd goal, where the Villa player loses he ball and, instead of going after it, looked fed up, waved his arms and stood still. That was worse than anything Ndombele ever did.

Or maybe he's finding that the PL is far more demanding than La Liga and you can't take any weekend domestic game, even against the bottom of the table team for granted.

This is why, IMO, more often than not, the ropey league winners are from Spain. They can play a strong team on a Thursday night, and stroll to a win against some shite at the weekend.
You pull that against almost anyone in the PL and you'll regret it. Now his squad is looking dead on its feet. The absolute state of them towards the end of the game where they looked punch dunk. That 3rd goal, where the Villa player loses he ball and, instead of going after it, looked fed up, waved his arms and stood still. That was worse than anything Ndombele ever did.

Yeah agree with this - also - cup competitions and the tactics employed to be successful in them, especially over two legs, are different from the week in week out games of league competition.

Never finished higher than 5th with Sevilla, never higher than 7th with Valencia in his most recent spell there.

Back
Top Bottom