Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 1st half really wasn't as bad as a lot of people are making out......

What's weird is that Villa and Palace especially, caused us a bit of frustration by playing defensive, not really engaging in the press in first half of games.

Only for both of those teams to come out pressing us in the second half and both times it cost the teams.

They're not the only teams to do it. But it's just odd why teams choose to do it against us. When they do, we absolutely blitz teams and score a few in a spell.

I don't think people realise how draining playing defensive football is.

I noticed a couple of times in the game udogy and Johnson pulling out of 50/50 with mcginn. They knew he wanted to leave something on them. The sending off showed it was actually wise.
It was pretty clear that they had received instructions from Ange/someone not to retaliate, especially Udogy!

It's mental, when you consider Kane has left and Toney scored 7 penalties. Vardy is basically done.

That leaves only Haaland as the only number 9 who scores 20 goals a season still playing in the Prem..

Salah is great but had always been a wide forward and relieved on a good no.9

Side note media for the English game really fucked up pushing kane out the door to Bayern. Stupid cunts. I bet he's livid with himself cos noone gives a fuck what he's doing now

I think Spurs plan with the lack of strikers capable of scoring 20+ goals being available is to get a number of forwards capable to getting 20 or so goal involvements (ie including assists) in the squad.

Hence we now have Son, Richarlison, Johnson, Werner, Maddison - and we've scored 59 goals in PL this season versus the top 3 who have scored 70, 65 and 63 respectively so our strategy is broadly working given its Johnson's first season and Werner only came in January.

Deki unlucky that Son is right footed. If he was left footed he would have played in Deki to score instead

Son's two footed enough to play what was a really simple pass to Kulusevski, and that looked like the best option initially, as it was he left it so late he makes it really tight for Johnson, but Johnson the more reliable finisher so Son made the right choice.

Last edited:
I can't believe their game plan was to knock it long. Knowing we've the best recovery centre back in probably the world.

It was a perfectly fine tactic and generated numerous chances on the break that poor decisions from their attackers meant they didn’t score.

They fell apart at 1-0 but before that the game-plan was working fine and they had carved out the better openings, relying a lot on our own (predictable) mistakes.

We were just more clinical when they made mistakes in the 2nd half and tight, tactical affairs tend to end up with one team running away with it when they lead.

I think Spurs plan with the lack of strikers capable of scoring 20+ goals being available is to get a number of forwards capable to getting 20 or so goal involvements (ie including assists) in the squad.

Hence we now have Son, Richarlison, Johnson, Werner, Maddison - and we've scored 59 goals in PL this season versus the top 3 who have scored 70, 65 and 63 respectively so our strategy is broadly working given its Johnson's first season and Werner only came in January.
Yeah our forwards are definitely sharing the load so to speak and kulusevski too, Sarr aswell has popped up with a few.

It's probably the smartest thing to do, although without a coach like Postecoglou, it might not have been possible.

Difference between Johnson and Kulu is that when Johnson gets the ball he atleast likes to run forward with it and take someone on, even if it turns out badly.

Kulu doesnt do it because he knows he doesnt even have the speed, let alone the ability to beat a man. Been saying it for 2 years now.

I would sell in the summer and move on. I dont understand why we always have to be sentimental about every player.
100%!
We need better quality!

No, he didn’t.

Our individuals beat their individuals on the day. Management wise their setup was fine, they caused their own issues and messed up their own situations.

At 2-0 they have to go chasing and with 10 men it’s done.

Went 5-3-2 to counter our tactics when he's played 4-4-2 all season, made it really easy for us to pin them back.

I'm pretty sure we've not scored this many goals after 27 games in any Prem season...

That quite telling.

Back
Top Bottom