Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
This is exactly how he should play.

Last season he was insistent on cutting inside making him pretty much useless.

Won't get carried away as it was sunderland, however it was an encouraging cameo from Townsend. More of that hopefully.

I still think he's predictable. He always beats people. It's obvious when the final ball is being crossed/passed.

He looked more accurate but he was still telegraphing his final ball so the defenders knew when to crowd out the area.

I also question Poch's use of him taking set pieces. Historically he's one of the worst strikers of the ball with an abysmal goal/assist rate for the number of crosses he puts in.

Last edited:
Townsend can be very frustrating but yesterday showed what value he can have to us. We really don't have another winger with pace that can beat a man and put in dangerous crosses. Rose is the only other player we have that can do the same but with defensive responsibilities added on.

I still think he's predictable. He always beats people. It's obvious when the final ball is being crossed/passed.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, Gibbs, but this doesn't make a lot of sense.

If he's predictable, then he is unlikely to beat anybody. I happen to think that his crosses can be better (pace, accuracy, etc.) but I don't see how anyone who plays as a winger really surprises an opposing team with their unpredictable crosses. That's more often than not the only thing they are trying to do when in that area of the pitch

He took the full back on and crossed from the by-line at least twice on Sunday - that must represent the sum total for the entire of last season. His appetite to go on the outside must have been so unexpected it completely took the poor sunderland defender by surprise, that's what variety does to your game. Maybe with the threat of being sold/new signings it's dawned on him that football is a team game. Personally i'm waiting for billy big bollocks to come back and the ball being rifled into row z.

Townsend can be very frustrating but yesterday showed what value he can have to us. We really don't have another winger with pace that can beat a man and put in dangerous crosses. Rose is the only other player we have that can do the same but with defensive responsibilities added on.
We haven't seen what Njie can do yet, hopefully he will give us another good option.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, Gibbs, but this doesn't make a lot of sense.

If he's predictable, then he is unlikely to beat anybody. I happen to think that his crosses can be better (pace, accuracy, etc.) but I don't see how anyone who plays as a winger really surprises an opposing team with their unpredictable crosses. That's more often than not the only thing they are trying to do when in that area of the pitch

That's what Townsend does. Beats people and crosses. There was one period after a long term injury where he had trouble beating people but Townsend beating people for fun is nothing new. It's just something we have not witnessed for a while so it looks entertaining.

I'd much rather see what other options can do in the prem. save Townsend for keeping our first team fresh by using him in the lower cups.

IMO if it were a choice of Prichard or Townsend, there is a bigger upside of seeing what Prichard can do.

Townsend creativity and scoring record in the prem is frankly ludicrous.

Last edited:
I would like to see him but the fact he has been here a month and not named on the bench looks like a project more than a guy we will see contribute much this season. time will tell i suppose but as we have learned new does always mean better.

Although I agree, I think Clinton had a nagging injury when he arrived and then he got sent home from international duty for the same reason.

Btw, Townsend on the left? I believe it. He's direct, pacy and most importantly: bold. Would be perfect to put him on as an out and out winger at times.

Although I agree, I think Clinton had a nagging injury when he arrived and then he got sent home from international duty for the same reason.

Btw, Townsend on the left? I believe it. He's direct, pacy and most importantly: bold. Would be perfect to put him on as an out and out winger at times.

The half a dozen games he's played or switched to the left, he was actually worse.

IMO anything prem based should not involve Townsend unless we have a serious injury crisis. (Which we currently have).

I don't want to spend another 10 years waiting for him to come good like we did Lennon at the cost of the Njie's Alli''s and Prichards.

The half a dozen games he's played or switched to the left, he was actually worse.

IMO anything prem based should not involve Townsend unless we have a serious injury crisis. (Which we currently have).

I don't want to spend another 10 years waiting for him to come good like we did Lennon at the cost of the Njie's Alli''s and Prichards.
Look Townsend has been frustratingly disappointing BUT he played well yesterday and the fact is we have no clue what we will get from Pritchard and N'Jie. We really have no like for like at the moment for what Townsend can do with pace, so he may get his chance by default. Alli is totally different position so don't see why he factors into this.

Look Townsend has been frustratingly disappointing BUT he played well yesterday and the fact is we have no clue what we will get from Pritchard and N'Jie. We really have no like for like at the moment for what Townsend can do with pace, so he may get his chance by default. Alli is totally different position so don't see why he factors into this.

IMO that was classic Townsend. If You think Townsend should get that position by default, when he averages one goal and assist per season in open play then Poch will be sacked.

Playing Townsend spelled droughts for Soldado, Eriksen, Lamela and pretty much everyone else. Poch reintroduced him when we were 3 points from 4th and United and Liverpool destroyed him. Also we crashed out of cup finals and Europa.

This was only Sundrrland. You are right, we don't know Njie, Prichard etc. But we have had 3 seasons of terrible wing play from Townsend and personally I've seen enough of our right wing being decimated when he plays.

They were exhausted when we brought him on. Not every game is going to have the groundwork done for him like over the weekend. He's a liability. Yes he was better than his opposite number but they are shit.

Alli is an AM who should play the new Dembele role over Townsend.

Don't knee jerk from half a game. He's no where near a top 4 AM/winger.

I fear Poch will get mugged into playing Townsend and Lamela together more often Removing our spine and any semblance of protection on our wings.

Last edited:
And while we're on the subject, anyone who thinks either Lamela or Chadli are our solution to the '2nd striker' problem clearly hasn't seen their finishing! Woeful is an insult to the word woeful!

I'm still not sure what the point of Lamela and Chadli is (other than to attract a bigger female fanbase) I so desperately want them to be any good... but they keep on deceiving to flatter! (see what I did there???)
Chadli was our second highest scorer last season, Lamela got the most assists.

Chadlis our joint top scorer so far this season, lamela got the assist in our only win.

This is exactly how he should play.

Last season he was insistent on cutting inside making him pretty much useless.

Won't get carried away as it was sunderland, however it was an encouraging cameo from Townsend. More of that hopefully.
Hold on a minute...

You just wrote a genuine post.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL YORKIE? :carrollwtf:

Thought Andros was shit tonight. He has a good game against Sunderland, completely changes the situation and then flops when he earns himself a start. I don't think he's ever going to make it here.

Thought Andros was shit tonight. He has a good game against Sunderland, completely changes the situation and then flops when he earns himself a start. I don't think he's ever going to make it here.

Townsend was Townsend as fuck tonight. Pretty good but a bit rusty snd it's to be expected.

I did notice he kinda fucked Trippier on multiple occasions though. Flat out ignored his runs and overlaps and left him wide open a few times.

The penalty was all Trippier though. What is it with good defenders that come here and give away pens?

Andros is the perfect sub. Spurs to the core, and as long as involved off thr bench he will feel a part og things. Hes unintelligent but off the bench he cld be very important imho

Back
Top Bottom