Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Yes. Our own players = the grass. I've already said I think Trippier will be a great bet played on the right in front of Walker.

I only want players we don't have, a backup for Kane who can lead the line and a DM. IMO we need players out that hamper bench places for Alli etc. And Townsend will take some youngsters place that could have a better upside.
Only in a bus parking counter attacking team could Trippier even be considered as a RM.

Under Poch's system the attacking 3 behind the CF need to be fluid, able to interchange, come inside etc. It takes some guile, poise and vision to play that role not just crossing ability.

We also use inverted wingers getting width from the FBs. We're never going to play the way you want so it's pointless constantly preaching about it. For years I have deep down wanted for us to emulate Pep's football but I know it's not going to happen/unrealistic so I leave it be.

Yes. Our own players = the grass. I've already said I think Trippier will be a great bet played on the right in front of Walker.

I only want players we don't have, a backup for Kane who can lead the line and a DM. IMO we need players out that hamper bench places for Alli etc. And Townsend will take some youngsters place that could have a better upside.
So, "some youngster" is better than Townsend?

Any particular youngster?

I don't think he is keeping anyone out of the side that warrants a place.

So, "some youngster" is better than Townsend?

Any particular youngster?

I don't think he is keeping anyone out of the side that warrants a place.

You mean apart from the one I mentioned? In addition to Alli who I mentioned, he can hamper Prichard etc. Plus he will do people like Eriksen etc no favors since they have not struck up a semblance of linkup play or familiarity. In fact, it can be argued that playing Townsend has hampered the first teamers, let alone the kids.

Passes, crosses, final balls, shots...100's of them a season resulting in nothing going forward in open play is not exactly what Kane and co need right now.

I'd much rather Trippier be crossing or putting in through balls and linking up than Townsend. I don't care how adorable his twitter page is.

I don't know how anyone can say Townsend is valuable? Flashy players with no end product has been our curse for years and him and Lennon out will be a huge step in the right direction. With heads up.

Last edited:
Only in a bus parking counter attacking team could Trippier even be considered as a RM.

He had 14 assists in one season in the league. In the prem he had 4 as a right back in a shit team.

Are you saying he will get less in a team aiming for 4th? Having better players along side him and in front of him will obviously hamper his creativity? Moving him towards the goal will make it harder for him to create?

Last edited:
We also use inverted wingers

No we don't. Not any more. And the term inverted wingers got traction after Bale set the world on fire. Then was used embarrassingly to make excuses for Lennon and Townsend not being good as standard wingers. Put them on the left, put them on the right, invert them blah blah. It didn't work.

So why keep doing stupid shit like playing Townsend as an inverted winger if ti didn't work?

He should play on the LW, and he does beat his first man, but he's piss poor at getting the ball into the box. And our club just isn't set up right now for a speed demon winger; we're on the fore-foot in most games in terms of possession and constantly knocking on the door of the final third, where speed is less important than vision, creativity, and goal-scoring. Townsend offers none of those traits.

No, it's not his fault that he's not a creative player, but that's what we need. We're not a counter-attacking side, so Townsend is always going to be a poor fit for us.

We have options:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/05/2...landed-80-more-crosses-than-townsend-and-mad/

He had 14 assists in one season in the league. In the prem he had 4 as a right back in a shit team.

Are you saying he will get less in a team aiming for 4th? Having better players along side him and in front of him will obviously hamper his creativity? Moving him towards the goal will make it harder for him to create?
Yes, you ignored all the other facets required to be a right winger in a team like ours.

As a RB he gets much more space than a RM too.

No we don't. Not any more. And the term inverted wingers got traction after Bale set the world on fire. Then was used embarrassingly to make excuses for Lennon and Townsend not being good as standard wingers. Put them on the left, put them on the right, invert them blah blah. It didn't work.

So why keep doing stupid shit like playing Townsend as an inverted winger if ti didn't work?
Yes we do. Lamela, Townsend, Chadli and often Eriksen all used there.

It's done for a very particular reason, for possession-based teams which use the FBs to create width, you want the WFs to be able to cut in and have the whole pitch open to their dominant foot.

Andros deserves better treatment lads. He's Spurs to the core. It's not working out for him right now
: ostrich:
It hasn't been working for him quite a while, to be blunt.

But he is a known factor and not beyond improving, in particular regarding the positional issues.

Selling him for half a dozen million pounds and bringing in a similar player type for the same or even double the fee is an unknown factor. May be great, may be miserable.

Btw, I am not sticking up for him because he is a homegrown. That's just a slight positive factor. He just happened to suffer more hype than many of our other homegrowns. In reality, players suffering less hype like Mason, Bentaleb, etc also are far from as good as the press and bloggers will have us believe, yet all are useful. I just evaluate AT from what I see, not from what someone once hyped him to be, just because he happened to be thrown in at Bales old position and scored a few goals.

Andros deserves better treatment lads. He's Spurs to the core. It's not working out for him right now
: ostrich:

Townsend signed a lucrative contract, is banging some page 3 type and making lots of money doing things like video game press junkets etc after his England fame. His head could have been turned by fame/fortune. It's happened so often. Perhaps he should be having less fun, and his agent stops things like him flying to the USA to do world cup commentary while injured?

Perhaps he's not doing everything in his power to be the best he can be? IMO a lot of Spurs players need to be more low key/boring like Bale, Carrick etc were.

Do you really want Townsend? A player who averages 1 prem assists in open play per season, setting up Alli, Kane or Njie? Townsend was a regular fixture supplying Soldado and Ade. It can argued him getting 1 prem assists and 1 goal in open play a season cost us 4th.

Sentiment only gets you so far. IMO for him and the club, it's best if he goes. Like I said, I don't want his inclusion to hamper Alli, Dembele, Prichard's potential.

Lennon, Townsend and unfortunately Lamela IMO should be the end of an era. We need more leaders and intelligence on the ball to help Alli, Bentaleb, Mason, Prichard etc. Townsend IMO is the very VERY last person we should reintroduce to the first team or bench. He has not struck up a partnership with anybody. We really need to start clicking on the pitch and you don't get that from head down dribbling to nowhere.

Cue images of Ronaldo doing video game press junkets.

Gibbs won't stop until every tiny dancer is wiped off the face of the earth

Lol. Lennon not getting a number was the end of an era for me. That was the big one.

He was the last spice boy. I don't mind tiny dancers. What I don't like is when Poch or AVB uses too many at the same time and turns us into soft Spurs.

Townsend and Naughton behind him, with destroyers like Soldado, Lennon on the left...
:lamelashock::soldadowatch::gio::dempsey2::defoe::lennon:
=
:pochfacepalm::walkercry::kanewtf::avbshock::dawsonmean::avbcringe:

Sometimes you need
:parker::sandroscream::freundgoal:
to make a platform for
:eriksenlol::kaneear::llorisserious::walker-scream::vertna:

soft Spurs.

I think we'll be "soft Spurs" regardless of which, "tiny dancer" people play.

Was talking to a guy about Tottenham the other day, and he doesn't watch football. He replied, "Oh, that's those lot who always wear gloves even in the sun"? I couldn't even disagree with him. Lamela, Lennon, etc all wear fucking gloves no matter what. Such a soft team with the worst mentality in the league, easily.

Back
Top Bottom