Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Just though I'd put this out there. I have not hard anything about him being injured. Is he?
He never traveled with the squad to the US or to Munich.
What reason for this bar injury.
Could he be on the way out and we are not risking him, as with Vlad, Bobby and, of course, Adebayor?
Seems really weird that he hasn't featured at all.
Twitter account unusually silent
Maybe we will have an extra £10+ m to add to the kitty. £14m odd already there. £18m for the pair of him and RS
Could end up with about £30+ to spend on 2 or three players

I'm all for fair criticism but it really wasn't a mishit cross. It was a fantastic cross that was either dummied by Holtby or just missed.
You are joking ain't you? Look at his body language. It's a cross. When Andros shapes to take a shot his shape is different. Also note the way he strikes the ball.
If that doesn't convince you, note his reaction afterwards. His reluctance to celebrate and his embarrassed look. it's a cross.

Just though I'd put this out there. I have not hard anything about him being injured. Is he?
He never traveled with the squad to the US or to Munich.
What reason for this bar injury.
Could he be on the way out and we are not risking him, as with Vlad, Bobby and, of course, Adebayor?
Seems really weird that he hasn't featured at all.
Twitter account unusually silent
Maybe we will have an extra £10+ m to add to the kitty. £14m odd already there. £18m for the pair of him and RS
Could end up with about £30+ to spend on 2 or three players
He injured his shoulder against Reading a few weeks ago.

You are joking ain't you? Look at his body language. It's a cross. When Andros shapes to take a shot his shape is different. Also note the way he strikes the ball.
If that doesn't convince you, note his reaction afterwards. His reluctance to celebrate and his embarrassed look. it's a cross.

Not quite sure where you're going with this, I said it was a fantastic cross. Not quite sure how you telling me it was a cross therefore is that relevant.

The best part about that video is Bobby's flailing attempt to get on the end of that. Surely he touches that wide if an inch closer to him. :adewtf:

Not quite sure where you're going with this, I said it was a fantastic cross. Not quite sure how you telling me it was a cross therefore is that relevant.
Sorry, I apologise. I should have worded the OP a bit better - and not skimmed the reply.
Unintentional shot would have been better.
Still the point I was making is that he has scored 3 goals in 47 and one of them was unintentional. It was a cross.
For all his fantastic crossing he also has only made 2 assists.

Probably off to Villa soon to enable a replacement.

Quite shocked how many want to keep him if it wasn't for his international exploits I couldn't see him being valued at 5 million let alone the 15 quoted.
In my book he's another Adam Johnson (pre kiddyfiddling) capable of absolute brilliance but overall a massive dissapointment will always have patches of form infrequently and will probably do well initially at a new club but fade quickly

He injured his shoulder against Reading a few weeks ago.
I couldn't find anything at all about is injury. Have I missed something?
Followed pre season. Nothing said about that after that game. Nothing mentioned in the highlights or the report. Nothing mentioned at all about that on OS. Can't remember anything being said on @spursofficial and I haven't seen anything reported. How have I missed it?

You tell me, I google Townsend shoulder injury and only things I see are Ben Pearce on twitter saying being told he had a shoulder injury and London24 quoting same tweet and making a story from it.

So at least that clears that up;

He has a shoulder injury and Ben Pearce is the man to go to for injury updates :)

Not sure why he gets this hard a ride with Spurs fans.

IMHO the biggest problems are still his decisionmaking and the mind-boggling fact, that both he and several managers view him as a Gareth-Bale-light inside right winger, when he blatantly is not suited to the role.

Still, he is a valuable squad player as a winger and in a position with little qualified competition. And he is a homegrown player, add to that.

The media all hyped him into ridiculous levels, and now our own fans mock him for not living up to external hype? That's not on, in my book.

Not sure why he gets this hard a ride with Spurs fans.

IMHO the biggest problems are still his decisionmaking and the mind-boggling fact, that both he and several managers view him as a Gareth-Bale-light inside right winger, when he blatantly is not suited to the role.

Still, he is a valuable squad player as a winger and in a position with little qualified competition. And he is a homegrown player, add to that.

The media all hyped him into ridiculous levels, and now our own fans mock him for not living up to external hype? That's not on, in my book.
The media's hype has never figured into my criticism of him, which is that he has NEVER addressed his weaknesses. He doesn't add any creativity whatsoever, just a burst of speed that startles his defender, but then he does nothing with it and turns over possession with his wild and idiotic shooting from distance that never tries the keeper. I've had the impression that its mostly him that is convinced he can copy Bale. I don't believe that managers take a look at his wild shooting from distance that isn't doing much of anything and thinking "yeah, that's good. More of that, please."

He's 24 now, so he should be entering his prime, but it just doesn't look like he has grown up or added anything new to his game at all since he was a teenager, which hurts because I know he and his family are Spurs through and through.

The media's hype has never figured into my criticism of him, which is that he has NEVER addressed his weaknesses. He doesn't add any creativity whatsoever, just a burst of speed that startles his defender, but then he does nothing with it and turns over possession with his wild and idiotic shooting from distance that never tries the keeper. I've had the impression that its mostly him that is convinced he can copy Bale. I don't believe that managers take a look at his wild shooting from distance that isn't doing much of anything and thinking "yeah, that's good. More of that, please."

He's 24 now, so he should be entering his prime, but it just doesn't look like he has grown up or added anything new to his game at all since he was a teenager, which hurts because I know he and his family are Spurs through and through.

But he isn't a creative player. He's just a speed merchant of a winger, who should play on the LW, beat first mand, get ball in box. There.

Much of what you mention is true, but also a product of the fact, that he keeps being allowed to play inside forward

But he isn't a creative player. He's just a speed merchant of a winger, who should play on the LW, beat first mand, get ball in box. There.

Much of what you mention is true, but also a product of the fact, that he keeps being allowed to play inside forward
He should play on the LW, and he does beat his first man, but he's piss poor at getting the ball into the box. And our club just isn't set up right now for a speed demon winger; we're on the fore-foot in most games in terms of possession and constantly knocking on the door of the final third, where speed is less important than vision, creativity, and goal-scoring. Townsend offers none of those traits.

No, it's not his fault that he's not a creative player, but that's what we need. We're not a counter-attacking side, so Townsend is always going to be a poor fit for us.

Fast forward to Monday, 2nd November, 2015... BBC London 94.9 Commentary...
"...and here comes Townsend, he beats Rose easily, and whips in a wicked cross... straight onto Adebayor's head... GOAL... YOU DON'T SAVE THOSE! Villa are 1-0 up... The Spurs players look at eachother, wondering where it all went wrong, again... Sherwood punches the air towards the Director's box with defiant jubilation, and swings his Gilet above his head with joy... oh, and here comes the salute from Adebayor... the entire away end at White Hart Lane are a sea of Claret & Blue saluting cunts..."
Spurs were too quick to let these two World-Beaters go... how they must be regretting that now... Kane tries to swap shirts with Adebayor, and Lamela can only stand and applaud the lightening wing-play from Townsend!

is that what you want??
:adewtf::townhmm:

Valuable as in was ever present re goal droughts for our strikers like Soldado and Ade, plus making Walker have a nervous breakdown with no cover until he runs himself into the ground?

When you can count his prem assists and prem goal average on one finger per year. And tack on to that the terrible defensive issues caused by Poch brining him back into the team when we still had a chance of winning the Europa and 4th. I can't think of a worse word to describe Townsend. As soon as Poch brought him back in the tail end of the season, it all went to shit.

He got his limelight. He got a good contract. Now he can shine at another club with less on the line. I don't want his head down and shanked shooting hampering Kane etc.

Grass is always greener i suppose right?

Yes. Our own players = the grass. I've already said I think Trippier will be a great bet played on the right in front of Walker.

I only want players we don't have, a backup for Kane who can lead the line and a DM. IMO we need players out that hamper bench places for Alli etc. And Townsend will take some youngsters place that could have a better upside.

Back
Top Bottom