And so,the F.A Cup!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's face it something has to be done about this previously great competition.
All this bollocks about 'magic of the cup' , 'cupsets' - bollocks.
This is a now reduced to a competition of reserve/youth team football.
Sutton didn't just beat Leeds. Sorry they didn't. They beat a Leeds reserve/youth select XI.
This is what I presume they wanted the Checkatrade trophy to be when they invited Premiership/Championship teams to enter their B teams?
You don't hear any of this from BT Sport who have paid £££ for the rights but a refreshing truth from Shearer on BBC.

We all know we got away with it yesterday, and we had absolutely no right to. And if we had have lost 3-2, Poch would have given zero shits.

What the solution is I don't know, certainly not Champions League places for me - not that I think that is possible anyway but the FA need somehow to stop this becoming a competition of thrown games, for the integrity of the sport as a whole.

Last edited:
Sutton didn't just beat Leeds. Sorry they didn't. They beat a Leeds reserve/youth select XI.
This is what I presume they wanted the Checkatrade trophy to be when they invited Premiership/Championship teams to enter their B teams?
You don't hear any of this BT Sport who have paid £££ for the rights but a refreshing truth from Shearer on BBC.

We all know we got away with it yesterday, and we had absolutely no right to. And if we had have lost 3-2, Poch would have given zero shits.

What the solution is I don't know, certainly not Champions League places for me - not that I think that is possible anyway but the FA need somehow to stop this becoming a competition of thrown games, for the integrity of the sport as a whole.

Trouble is the Premier League and qualification to the Champion's League is the be all and end all of English football today, that is why 4th place has become a quasi trophy. A club is nothing unless it is in the top tier; until that changes, managers will continue to treat this wonderful, historic competition as a nuisance.

Trouble is the Premier League and qualification to the Champion's League is the be all and end all of English football today, that is why 4th place has become a quasi trophy. A club is nothing unless it is in the top tier; until that changes, managers will continue to treat this wonderful, historic competition as a nuisance.

That won't change. There's plenty of ways to improve the FA Cup but thinking it will regain the prestige of the past is a pipedream in my opinion.

First of they should scrap the Wembley semis and go back to playing them at other neutral grounds for a starter.

Kane said that players would be mad to leave as we they can win things at Tottenham. He is not talking about coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the Premiership, he is talking about winning things. I really feel Chelsea are too far ahead for us to win the league and if we do as last season then we will put all our eggs in one bag and end up short. Kane has not been available for the FA Cup and has missed part of the season injured. I would play him in the FA Cup to see if we can get a lead early and if winning bring him off 2nd half. I agree we should play a mixture as Totti suggests but not a b team like yesterday. If players feel they are not going to get the opportunity to win things then they are more likely to leave. Win the FA Cup and the players are more likely to want to stay. If we get a top 6 club next round and play the 1st team and still lose then at least the players and supporters know we have tried and ,maybe next year. However if we play a weak team and go out then it sends out all the wrong signals.

People who want lower league sides to get the home draw automatically yet still whine about second string sides being put out should think again. Do you think Premier League managers are going to risk their best players on pitches out of the 1950's?

There's a lot of bad ideas floating around but nothing tops the "give it a CL spot" nonsense that's so popular. It's a horrible idea. It's much harder to finish in the top-4 than it is to win the cup. It would also lead to horrible results in Europe and then the spot would disappear.

Prize money could be upped a bit but the stingy FA probably won't.

Do you think Kane meant that when he talked about winning things as I do not. Do you thoink Liverpool supporters are happy that they no longer have the nuisance and can concentrate in securing a top 4 place? I don't.
If we care about the players aspirations which is what will keep them at the club in the absence of top wages then we have to show commitment.

Do you think Kane meant that when he talked about winning things as I do not. Do you thoink Liverpool supporters are happy that they no longer have the nuisance and can concentrate in securing a top 4 place? I don't.
If we care about the players aspirations which is what will keep them at the club in the absence of top wages then we have to show commitment.

I expect Poch to put out stronger and stronger sides if we continue to advance. That's what he did when we reached the Carling Cup final in his first season.

Sorry don't think I set the tone of my post correctly, I would kill to win the FA Cup or the Europa League. You can't beat a real piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet and real medals for the players. For once I agree with Shearer, a trophy means everything to supporters.

Perhaps we need to scrap the League Cup completely now and spread the FA Cup a little more evenly over the full season? (conscious that will probably mean the FA Cup Preliminaries and Qualifiers will be starting around now for 2018!)

The following may help in a small way but they won't get to the root of why teams like Bournemouth made 11 changes when they got drawn to play Millwall and had 0 shots on goal, losing 3-0.
  • Semi Finals back at neutral grounds (this was a highlight of my youth - despite the shocking results) - As a kid I didn't go to away games very often but took in plenty of FA Cup semis at Old Trafford and Elland Road.
  • Final at Wembley and on a Saturday as the showpiece at 3pm.
  • No fucking around with Friday night and Monday night games. Show 4 games on TV, that's enough.

"Clubs care about money and fans care about trophies - this is very unfortunate,"
Shearer

Well luckily for you, your club bought the title in 95 so you had the best of both worlds, cock.

All this hysteria...suddenly squad rotation is frowned upon, and Spurs, the only team to make more than 7 changes and win, have a shit squad.

:dempsey:

You know what it is....they are all so fucking annoyed we won against little Wycombe, and we fucking enjoyed it too.

That won't change. There's plenty of ways to improve the FA Cup but thinking it will regain the prestige of the past is a pipedream in my opinion.

First of they should scrap the Wembley semis and go back to playing them at other neutral grounds for a starter.

With Spurs renting Wembley, the semis there, and the 6th place team in the Championship being able to lift a trophy there in the play off final, Wembley has become very un-special.

I will be brutally honest, but the FA Cup for me is now only very slightly above the Littlewoods. It hasnt been prestigious for at least 10-15 years and going out doesnt bother me like it did before.
Its just the way it is......I honestly couldnt tell who won it last year off my head.

With Spurs renting Wembley, the semis there, and the 6th place team in the Championship being able to lift a trophy there in the play off final, Wembley has become very un-special.

I will be brutally honest, but the FA Cup for me is now only very slightly above the Littlewoods. It hasnt been prestigious for at least 10-15 years and going out doesnt bother me like it did before.
Its just the way it is......I honestly couldnt tell who won it last year off my head.

United and before that the Gooners twice. I'm very well aware of who won it. Once you get to the quarterfinals it start to get really interesting. We can win the cup this season...think we need another easy draw to keep Poch interested though..

You don't hear any of this from BT Sport who have paid £££ for the rights but a refreshing truth from Shearer on BBC.

Disagree that Poch disrespected it given what we are still in touching distance of, could be 6 points off 1st this week.

Our rotated side should have been more than enough for Wycombe and they have to play sometime or they'd just want to leave

If we were to win it I'm already braced for pundits saying we had an unfair 'home' advantage.

As much as I think Shearer likes to consider himself ' the voice of the people' he is right with regards to the FA cup.

I am falling out of love with football day by day, the game I grew up on years ago has changed so much, I am all for evolution and it has to happen but now it's purely about money and revenue rather than the sport.

My best moments watching spurs growing up were the 81 and 82 cup finals, the UEFA cup final in 84 and the 91 cup final. We won something which is what competive sport is all about. I am now in a minority of rather us winning a domestic trophy than finishing in the top 4, to qualify for a competition we will not win, but hey the club makes a packet so who cares?

As I am whining I can also add sky sports, corporate fans, over hyped foreign managers, a national team who play with no pride, over rated and over paid players, idiot fans with I phones and self entitled numbskulls who think their team has the divine right to win every thing.

I try not to be negative around my boy as I want him to get as much out of the game as I did when I was his age and he does not know any different, luckily I still get the buzz taking him to spurs games and so does he. The rest of the modern game can do one for me though.

As much as I think Shearer likes to consider himself ' the voice of the people' he is right with regards to the FA cup.

I am falling out of love with football day by day, the game I grew up on years ago has changed so much, I am all for evolution and it has to happen but now it's purely about money and revenue rather than the sport.

My best moments watching spurs growing up were the 81 and 82 cup finals, the UEFA cup final in 84 and the 91 cup final. We won something which is what competive sport is all about. I am now in a minority of rather us winning a domestic trophy than finishing in the top 4, to qualify for a competition we will not win, but hey the club makes a packet so who cares?

As I am whining I can also add sky sports, corporate fans, over hyped foreign managers, a national team who play with no pride, over rated and over paid players, idiot fans with I phones and self entitled numbskulls who think their team has the divine right to win every thing.

I try not to be negative around my boy as I want him to get as much out of the game as I did when I was his age and he does not know any different, luckily I still get the buzz taking him to spurs games and so does he. The rest of the modern game can do one for me though.
I sympathise and agree with a lot of what you say. For me the best suggestion is to just stick to going to matches and watching live games on TV and watching Spurs on MOTD or the BBC write up as a last resort. Ignore transfer gossip, social media, pre match and post match pundits, newspaper reports, Sky Sports News, TalkSport, the lot. Just focus on and enjoy our team playing and the whole thing feels a lot better. Reading real supporters chatting on here helps too, as you know.

Back
Top Bottom