Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm normally very positive about our players and team, but I'd like to think we all reserve the right to critique performance or form.

I believe Ade has been poor recently and believe he was poor last night. Granted he scored and that is really important, but he didn't offer much else.

Happy for anyone to tell me he was great last night and I'll take that on board.

He was far from great last night, no one is doubting that.... but he got the all important away goal, which makes his contribution vital!

I'd rather he played shit but scored, than tore it up for 90 minutes and missed every one of the 50-odd chances we created!!

Who needs a great manager striker when you have a lucky one? As someone once said!

My frustration with both Ade and Defoe is that they get caught offside through outright laziness.

When they make a run and the ball is cut out, they never bust a gut to get back onside, so when we win it back quickly and play an early ball, they are still walking back from an offside position.

Basic stuff.

Fucking Ade will dine out on his goal for the rest of the year and the hierachy will back slap him like nothing else!

They scored a goal when Dembele gave it away, only because he was coming forward with the ball, had no options on basically becuase Ade who had just run a little bit gave up in their area, sat on the floor then walked slowly back the half way line. He fucking does my head in sometimes. He's glad we were so high up last night, wouldn't of heard any of the many slagging offs.

I'm normally very positive about our players and team, but I'd like to think we all reserve the right to critique performance or form.

I believe Ade has been poor recently and believe he was poor last night. Granted he scored and that is really important, but he didn't offer much else.

Happy for anyone to tell me he was great last night and I'll take that on board.

I thought he did a lot better last night (and in some other games) than the wide and heavy critisism he is getting deserves.

That said, I didnt think he was especially good. I guess it depends upon your criteri judging him. For example, he wasnt a shadow of his former self and yet he still contributed a lot more than Defoe...

I thought last night he drifted in and out of the game, to much 'out' really.

When he was out he was useless.

When he was in he was linking play, moving into good areas and giving us a foothold in the final 3rd. Not to any exceptional degree, but he was doing it and it was the best we had.

I thought a number of times he played some really good one touch/triangles with Sigurdsson and Holtby.

I thought it was entirely correct that he stayed on and Defoe went off (who doesnt seem to get such a bad rap despite offering even less).

I thought it was fantastic that so late in the game he had the ethic to follow the shot in and beat two defenders to the ball for his goal.

I wasnt overly impressed with him all in all, I think he was "ok" rather than good/bad. I saw glimpses of the old Ade and hope that they were a sign he can yet make his mark on this season.

He is in a bad run, but I honestly believe it is no where near as bad as so many make out.

A whole year is a bit of an exaggeration. Seeing as the season only started what 6 / 7 months ago, and he spent long spells injured, and then interrupted by international duty. He hasn't really had a chance to get going.

His ability hasn't just disappeared, he was our top goalscorer last year, how everyone can just change their tune so easily is remarkable. Imagine this time next year, people saying we should leave Bale go on a free...

And if you want things to talk about, why not try come up with some original points, rather than everyone flogging this dead horse.

I'm not even Ade's biggest fan, he frustrates the fuck out of me most of the time, but people need to be a bit more understanding. Reading all this shit over and over is starting to really get under my skin.

Please explain to me the difference right now between him and Torres?

He seems to be playing a different role this season - last season he played off the wing - A LOT. This season he has hardly done that at all, clearly instructions he has been given.
I think that has had a pretty big impact on his game.

He seems to be playing a different role this season - last season he played off the wing - A LOT. This season he has hardly done that at all, clearly instructions he has been given.
I think that has had a pretty big impact on his game.

Makes a lot of sense thinking back to yesterday's game. The time he looked most comfortable and "Ade 2011/12 season" was (second half?) when he went on a tear down the left side beating his man before the move broke down

I think he struggles being the target man with back to goal but that's the job he's been asked to do. He's always been more dangerous when wandering and running towards goal.
That said some of his performances have been poor but I'm not convinced he's just gone to shit and I cant stand fans who constantly whinge and moan at him if he isn't having an absolute stormer every game - its like some fans subconsciously want him to be shit.

For instance, at the Woolwich game, the ball was hopefully punted up towards him and he was aggressively challenged by no less than 3 Woolwich players with not one spurs player anywhere near him. No striker would have won that ball but a group of 3 lads behind me berated him as if he was the shitttest player we've ever had. They were so preoccupied with looking for a reason to have a pop they clearly didn't notice the Woolwich players hounding him out.

I'd have him over Pavyluchenko any day.

Adebayor was amazing last season. Just superb. He is an extremely good striker, which is why I find his form this season such a let down. He's not always had the best close control, but he's made up for that in the past with hard running, effort, great finishing and strength. He just doesn't seem to have any of that regularly enough now.

If he'd been a brand new signing in the summer, I'd give him a bit more of the benefit of the doubt, but he should know the players and the environment by now, so that can't be an excuse.

I see the point about him scoring such a vital goal, but he has missed some serious sitters recently and he is getting a tendency towards sitting on his arse when something doesn't work out for him. I personally want to see more passion and drive. That would forgive a fair whack of the rest of the season. He's got it in him, he just needs to turn it on again.

If he'd been a brand new signing in the summer, I'd give him a bit more of the benefit of the doubt, but he should know the players and the environment by now, so that can't be an excuse.
To be fair, half the players from last year (and key ones at that) are gone, and the entire coaching set up, training methods and tactical approach are completely new.

To be fair, half the players from last year (and key ones at that) are gone, and the entire coaching set up, training methods and tactical approach are completely new.
And every player, coach and tactic were brand new last season and he excelled, so as I said, the fact he may be slightly unfamiliar with things now is hardly a valid excuse.

Anyway it was a nitpick as I agree with literally everything else you wrote.

There is no player I want to succeed more than Ade this year, because if he does, we will be in great fucking shape. We could do with a bit more of this:

And this:

The rumors are true, Ade has scored multiple goals this season.

It just feels to me, summarily, like his target man instincts are now crowding out his pure 'striker' instincts. He's still doing a lot of great work in holding up the ball, laying off etc.; it's just that his first touch in the face of goal has temporarily gone to shit and he's too hesitant to apply a finish now.

I still don't believe that a player can go from being one of the best strikers in the League over the course of a whole season to total crap over the space of one summer, so no matter what I'm still going to hold out hope he can piece it back together. I suspect this is largely a tactical issue rather than one which is personal to Ade- having Bale playing off him as a more of a second striker than a #10, plus our lack of a classical playmaker, certainly hasn't helped.

At times he didn't look like he was bothered, at times he was the only one moving and he scored the key goal.

He's more miss than hit at the moment without doubt. Thought he could play up top with Defoe but last night it looked like they had never met before. Improved when he was up top by himself.

Back
Top Bottom