Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

thedutchman said:
LordFIMM said:
He hasn't done anything that justifies use of the word legend yet. Closest thing was the PL winner against Chelsea a couple of years ago, lovely first touch, cut inside and then BOOM with the left peg.

If he was playing regular international football, maybe he'd be a legend. We also haven't won anything of massive note with him in the team. Cure both of those and maybe...

When you think about it he's been pretty pivotal in some big moments for us in the last few seasons...

That goal against Chelsea
The 4th vs the Scum in the semi final (which was more important than it sounds...) and in the 4-4 (That WAS important)
The late winners against West Ham and Birmingham which helped give us the 4 wins on the bounce to kick off in 2009 (plus his general play at the start of that season)
Liverpool - last minute last season

Love the guy, not a "legend" but he's a proper THFC hero in this era

The win against Liverpool at the Lane the season we qualified for the CL too...

I might get slagged for this but he's a nearly man for me.

Doesnt score enough goals
Positioning is often poor
Gets a bad injury every season
Can be too predictable.

Of course on the flip side he's one of the most exciting players and I love seeing him play, he can also be a match winner.

I just feel like he has never kicked on to that next level. Probably being harsh.

Thelonious said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:
When Lennon is on form, Spurs are on form.
and over the course of a season that isnt often enough due to injuries or whatever
my point still stands. :)
Couldnt you say that about a lot of players though?

If Bale is on form we usually are.
You would say the same of Ledley and Parker earlier in the season, they were playing well and we were on fire.

Not really, Lennon makes the team tick a lot more than people appreciate. His best form this season was in the November period, switching wings with Bale made us dangerous and gave other teams a lot to think about. Parker and King are consistent so they don't have "form" so to speak, when Lennon is on song the team improves on the whole. His injury record is fucking shit though.

Thelonious said:
Not really, Lennon makes the team tick a lot more than people appreciate. His best form this season was in the November period, switching wings with Bale made us dangerous and gave other teams a lot to think about. Parker and King are consistent so they don't have "form" so to speak, when Lennon is on song the team improves on the whole. His injury record is fucking shit though.
Of course Parker has 'form' - against QPR he was fucking rampant, closing people down smashing them left right and centre, he didnt let any one of them play. One of his best games IMO.

I know what you are saying about Lennon though, my point is there are games where he hasnt been involced where we have looked all shades of awseomeness.

Dru said:
Thelonious said:
Of course Parker has 'form' - against QPR he was fucking rampant, closing people down smashing them left right and centre, he didnt let any one of them play. One of his best games IMO.

I know what you are saying about Lennon though, my point is there are games where he hasnt been involced where we have looked all shades of awseomeness.
I don't agree about Parker, obviously, there'll be games where he'll be more noticeable than others. Point I'm making is that he doesn't necessarily have to be at that level for Spurs to tick, when Lennon isn't in the game then Spurs tend to struggle to convince. I'm hoping that we're looking at an alternative over the summer, hopefully a Hoilett type player.

Thelonious said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:

I don't agree about Parker, obviously, there'll be games where he'll be more noticeable than others. Point I'm making is that he doesn't necessarily have to be at that level for Spurs to tick, when Lennon isn't in the game then Spurs tend to struggle to convince. I'm hoping that we're looking at an alternative over the summer, hopefully a Hoilett type player.

I think Messi would be a better option...

:crouch:

Thelonious said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:

Hmmm, I think we may need to agree to disagree on Parker then, if he's having a shit game you know about it. To be fair if anyone is im sure you will.
On Lernnon I would agree when he is on form we are a better team, but that doesnt mean we cant play well without him.

I really like Lennon, he's key to the balance of the side and tends to play well more often than not.

Shame at the moment he can't stay fit otherwise we would be in a stronger position I feel. Hope he spends the summer strengthening that dodgy hammy.

Lennon is an exciting player and we love exciting players. I just wish that he would stop picking up niggles as he is entering a great period of form. It happened two seasons ago against West Ham with the groin strain that effectively ended his season - until then he had been our best player. And as mentioned, when he plays our shape is far better.

Hoillett looks an excellent prospect but I am sure that Lennon has the ability to reach legendary status...I was reading a Spurs monthly from 2004 last week and Samways had made the top 20 Tottenham midfielders of all time - I am glad to say that won't be happening ever again.

As was said earlier in this topic, Lennon needs to concentrate on stretching before games. Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. When that's done he can do some more stretches. It's probably stretching a point to say he needs to make sure he is nicely stretchy before any running around starts.

At this rate he's approaching Anderton style legendary status for services to the physio industry.

Richard Gough used to spend the pre-game warm up time bending and stretching himself into all sorts of positions while everyone else kicked a ball about. He played until his late 30s. Friedel does the same via Yoga.

I'd like to believe our well paid and informed professional athletes know about proper warm up routines, diet, hydration and rest etc but I suspect they know more about tattoos and bling.

The only problem I see with Lennon is his injuries, we really are a different team with him in. He needs a good few matches to get back to speed with his passing and crossing (confidence really) after he's out any longer than a couple of games. Personally there isn't many people I'd prefer on the right when he's on form.

Big Les Wade said:
As was said earlier in this topic, Lennon needs to concentrate on stretching before games. Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. When that's done he can do some more stretches. It's probably stretching a point to say he needs to make sure he is nicely stretchy before any running around starts.

At this rate he's approaching Anderton style legendary status for services to the physio industry.

Richard Gough used to spend the pre-game warm up time bending and stretching himself into all sorts of positions while everyone else kicked a ball about. He played until his late 30s. Friedel does the same via Yoga.

I'd like to believe our well paid and informed professional athletes know about proper warm up routines, diet, hydration and rest etc but I suspect they know more about tattoos and bling.

Apparently loads of the players do Yoga, I could be wrong and it may have been a one off thing but im sure i saw it somewhere.
Also, there are a team of people that should be doing his warm up routine. It may be the csae that no matter how much warming up he does, his style of football means he will always be susceptible

Lennon should have a good team around him but he needs to want to help himself as it will extend his career.

Re: yoga, think it's Friedel that got team into it. Not sure what it says about our management if our keeper is promoting this. Should form part of the weekly routine.

When they've done a bit of yoga they want to have a go at practising corners. We are so shit and predictable at corners. Shocking for a professional football team. Even my old pub team used to practice different ideas for corners.

In the season Ramos took over, Lennon's form had dipped and it there was talk we'd get rid of him. On the last game of the season he was in his Ferrari on the high street stuck in traffic. As I had spotted him when I'd just left the pub, I went over to him and asked him why he wasn't playing and shook his hand. The following season his form picked up. I'm claiming credit for him being such an important player for us

Back
Top Bottom