A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True, it's just disheartening when you notice Liverpool and City going through horrific form, then it seems like we lose one game and they're both back above us/level.
Man Utd recently won something like 10 consectuive games and still remained 6th. It's a funny old game

Man Utd recently won something like 10 consectuive games and still remained 6th. It's a funny old game

True - you could tell they would catch Arse/City/Liverpool as they have had a terrible run of form recently, but it doesn't feel like we have, yet United are back within a win of 3rd.

True, it's just disheartening when you notice Liverpool and City going through horrific form, then it seems like we lose one game and they're both back above us/level.

Well, after 13 games the table was:

Chelsea 31
Liverpool 30
City 30
Scum 28
Us 24
Utd 20

So in reality Us, Cheslea and Utd have pretty much just kept the same form and the others have massively tailed off.

Does it even have much relevance at all? It's not a big 6 competition & every one of the so called big 6 has, & will again, come unstuck against Teams outside the top 6. It's the results over the whole of the season that is the relevant stat. I wouldn't mind having the worst record against the other top 5 teams & winning the league. Woolwich have easily the worst record against the others, but are still on the same points as us. We need to turn more draws into wins against the teams outside the top 6. That will define our season imo. We should be disappointed be drawing with Sunderland for example, when the next time out they get a 4-0 walloping against Southampton. That is a worse result than losing 2-0 at Anfield, or 1-0 at Old Trafford.
Yeah, but that's the League Table your basically describing there.

I think the measure of a good team is how you do against your direct rivals, how you play against them is important to the feeling of the club and fans. If you are not competitive against them then you reduce the chances of winning a Cup too because it's a strong likelihood if you make it to a Cup Final you will be against one of them (as has been the case with our last 3 finals!). So much nicer to go into those games with a sense of confidence rather than fear and hope. That confidence comes from having previously beaten or if not beating then being highly competitive. Which is why I don't fear City who have taken 1 point from us in the past 2 seasons, why I don't fear Utd, why I don't fear Woolwich and Chelsea. The only team we haven't beaten is fucking Liverpool, yet we could finish above them again this year making it 7 out of the last 8 seasons (nearly a fucking decade!!).

The main point is I'm betting our record against the "big 6" is not as bad as Sky would want us to believe. I'm betting it's better than all but Chelsea and Liverpool. If that is the case then it makes Sky's fucking info fucking graph "fake news". Wonder what the motivation for them doing it is, without the comparison of the other clubs. Surely it's not to create a sense of unease in the ranks of the fickle fanbase of ours, get them complaining about how shit we are, sack Poch, Levy's a cunt, players are shit. Surely Sky wouldn't do such a thing as that would they?

Yeah, but that's the League Table your basically describing there.

I think the measure of a good team is how you do against your direct rivals, how you play against them is important to the feeling of the club and fans. If you are not competitive against them then you reduce the chances of winning a Cup too because it's a strong likelihood if you make it to a Cup Final you will be against one of them (as has been the case with our last 3 finals!). So much nicer to go into those games with a sense of confidence rather than fear and hope. That confidence comes from having previously beaten or if not beating then being highly competitive. Which is why I don't fear City who have taken 1 point from us in the past 2 seasons, why I don't fear Utd, why I don't fear Woolwich and Chelsea. The only team we haven't beaten is fucking Liverpool, yet we could finish above them again this year making it 7 out of the last 8 seasons (nearly a fucking decade!!).

The main point is I'm betting our record against the "big 6" is not as bad as Sky would want us to believe. I'm betting it's better than all but Chelsea and Liverpool. If that is the case then it makes Sky's fucking info fucking graph "fake news". Wonder what the motivation for them doing it is, without the comparison of the other clubs. Surely it's not to create a sense of unease in the ranks of the fickle fanbase of ours, get them complaining about how shit we are, sack Poch, Levy's a cunt, players are shit. Surely Sky wouldn't do such a thing as that would they?
Our record against the other top 5 is ok this year. As you rightly say, the scousers remain our bogey team, & it's for Poch to find a way to fight fire with fire when we play them- something he hasn't managed to do yet. But I'm sure he will, & I'm equally sure we'd have done far better with Verts & Rose available.

Whilst all comparisons need context our points haul against the top 5 other clubs this season is quite a factor thus far.

With 2 games left we have played 8 games and got 9 points. 12 would be reasonable and 20 plus overall more than likeky to be the determinant betweem top 4 and higher.

We will all have our thoughts on it and mine are on record but we have the collective strength most of the time of any of the teams but not in my opinion the individual who takes us into every match with the belief that we can get away with an average performance.

Of our current players I only see Alli as a likely candidate and whilst he is at times a mercurial talent I am not sure he possesees the character to do that week in and week out and certainly not at this stage.
Sure, but give it fucking time mate. We are the youngest side in the league, huge improvements over last season, the season before and the season before that. We are in the position where we might be able to bring in the one player needed (Manger might not want to do that and prefers not to bring in billy biigbollocks to fuck up the team spirit, we just don't know enough about Poch yet).

But the point is we are not as bad as Sky would want you to believe, or do you think our record is shit against the top 6 comparing like with like stats e.g. What the other top 6 win % is???

Sure, but give it fucking time mate. We are the youngest side in the league, huge improvements over last season, the season before and the season before that. We are in the position where we might be able to bring in the one player needed (Manger might not want to do that and prefers not to bring in billy biigbollocks to fuck up the team spirit, we just don't know enough about Poch yet).

But the point is we are not as bad as Sky would want you to believe, or do you think our record is shit against the top 6 comparing like with like stats e.g. What the other top 6 win % is???

Two things mate.

I don't need Sky to see what our one weakness is and equally time is a funny thing.

There is a presumption that comes with time that rarely plays out.

We need to be mindful under Pochettino of always reaching the summit with our fingertips but never quite getting enough of a hand on the surface.

Because they didn't just lose a game against a top 6 rival without so much as a fight?
Bullshit, the narrative was there before we kicked off at the weekend. Doesn't answer the question why when we ripped Chelsea and City apart there were no info graphs seeing as we had spanked them previously to. In fact on TalkSport ahead of the Chelsea game (home) they were calling it 3 point lane, Chelsea have taken three points from us at The Lane once in 10 fucking years!!

Two things mate.

I don't need Sky to see what our one weakness is and equally time is a funny thing.

There is a presumption that comes with time that rarely plays out.

We need to be mindful under Pochettino of always reaching the summit with our fingertips but never quite getting enough of a hand on the surface.
Why not answer the question?

Be a man, scott scott . If you want a cunt off wi him then step up and Fucken have it

Fucken minge queen
We had way too many already.
I can't be bothered with more.
I was more replying to sammy about it rather than wanting a cunt off. Just to make a point as I knew he would avoid answering it.
No offence but I don't see how having a cunt off is hard or makes you more of a man.
Anyone can say fuck off cunt etc to anyone else. I don't feel it takes stepping up to do that as you put it.
But fair enough if you feel they are something you step up too. I feel like they are a step down & should be avoided. I sometimes can't resist winding him up knowing he will then be angrily sending me posts that I will never even read. But I have grown up now!
Anyway, I think we are all bored of it all anyway.
So I shall no longer even mention him & will leave him on ignore.

Last edited:
We had way too many already.
I can't be bothered with more.
I was more replying to sammy about it rather than wanting a cunt off.
No offence but I don't see how having a cunt off is hard or makes you more of a man.
Anyone can say fuck off cunt etc to anyone else. I don't feel it takes stepping up to do that as you put it.
But fair enough if you feel they are something you step up too. I feel like they are a step down & should be avoided.
Anyway, I think we are all bored of it all anyway.
So I shall no longer even mention him & will leave him on ignore.
You've had 2 days, did you find that post where I told you to be scared of me? Almost as if it doesn't exist. How odd.

This only has any relevance when compared directly with how the other "big 6" are also doing surely?

Also, they have taken the record back to 2014, you know when Poch first arrived. Would anyone here backed us to loose all of the big games with AVB and/or Sherwood's teams against the big 6? We were shit. Oh look, in order to make the graphic look even more shit they have chucked in CL games too, fuck me. Well, seeing as City, Utd., Chelsea & Liverpool have all missed out on CL and Liverpool & Chelsea missed out on Europe all together what is the fucking point of the inclusion other than to make the % look shit. With City and Man U also being knocked out of CL at group stage in this time period.

So, what would be relevant and interesting would be to see this record compared directly with each of the other big clubs broken down year by year, without CL inclusion. I haven't time to do that but my gut tells me that our record will be better than Utd., better than Woolwich and probably close to City. I think Chelsea's and Liverpools would be better record.

A reminder of this seasons record of the big 6 reflects my gut feel.
Chavs = 8 games played (5 home 3 away): 13pts from 24pts W4 D1 L3
Spurs = 8 games played (3 home 5 away): 9pts from 24 W2 D3 L3
Woolwich = 6 games played (3 home 3 away): 5pts from 18pts W1 D2 L3
Dippers = 7 games played: (3 home 4 away): 13 from 21pts W3 D4 L0
Citeh = 6 games played: (3 home 3 away): 7pts from 18pts W2 D1 L3
Manure = 6 games played (4 home 2 away): 6pts from 18pts W1 D3 L2
It will probably be a tag we have for many years now, even if we just lost once or twice next season against the top 6.

Back
Top Bottom