A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Widdershinism: the cult of the Widdershin. Devotees are instructed in the art of throwing stones at farm animals from behind a hedge in silence.
Widdershinism:
Similar to what myself and my mates used to do when we got bored on night fishing trips in the early 80s. Instead of throwing stones at farm animals, we used to throw stones and take potshots at passing motorists with air guns. I know, I know, looking back it was a terrible thing to do, but it was fuckin funny at the time. As a result no fish were harmed, as we were pissed and didn't give a fuck about the fishing. As a side note, I can't remember if we hid behind hedges or fences, but we definatly hid behind something.
Does that make me a Widdershin ?
:adeninja:

Widdershinism:
Similar to what myself and my mates used to do when we got bored on night fishing trips in the early 80s. Instead of throwing stones at farm animals, we used to throw stones and take potshots at passing motorists with air guns. I know, I know, looking back it was a terrible thing to do, but it was fuckin funny at the time. As a result no fish were harmed, as we were pissed and didn't give a fuck about the fishing. As a side note, I can't remember if we hid behind hedges or fences, but we definatly hid behind something.
Does that make me a Widdershin ?
:adeninja:
No, your hooliganism seems to be quite upfront. A Widdershin would never do this, and certainly wouldn't engage with another person. Someone shot the flake out my 99 once. I hope it wasn't you.

P.S. I'm glad no fish were harmed. Too many fishermen are into wound and release.

No, your hooliganism seems to be quite upfront. A Widdershin would never do this, and certainly wouldn't engage with another person. Someone shot the flake out my 99 once. I hope it wasn't you.

P.S. I'm glad no fish were harmed. Too many fishermen are into wound and release.
Not me Joe.
Nothing against flakes.
Don't get me fuckin started on ripples though, all they are, is flakes with a coat on.
Fuckin Pussies.

Interesting infographic on Sky Sports just now...

promo311283700
This only has any relevance when compared directly with how the other "big 6" are also doing surely?

Also, they have taken the record back to 2014, you know when Poch first arrived. Would anyone here backed us to loose all of the big games with AVB and/or Sherwood's teams against the big 6? We were shit. Oh look, in order to make the graphic look even more shit they have chucked in CL games too, fuck me. Well, seeing as City, Utd., Chelsea & Liverpool have all missed out on CL and Liverpool & Chelsea missed out on Europe all together what is the fucking point of the inclusion other than to make the % look shit. With City and Man U also being knocked out of CL at group stage in this time period.

So, what would be relevant and interesting would be to see this record compared directly with each of the other big clubs broken down year by year, without CL inclusion. I haven't time to do that but my gut tells me that our record will be better than Utd., better than Woolwich and probably close to City. I think Chelsea's and Liverpools would be better record.

A reminder of this seasons record of the big 6 reflects my gut feel.
Chavs = 8 games played (5 home 3 away): 13pts from 24pts W4 D1 L3
Spurs = 8 games played (3 home 5 away): 9pts from 24 W2 D3 L3
Woolwich = 6 games played (3 home 3 away): 5pts from 18pts W1 D2 L3
Dippers = 7 games played: (3 home 4 away): 13 from 21pts W3 D4 L0
Citeh = 6 games played: (3 home 3 away): 7pts from 18pts W2 D1 L3
Manure = 6 games played (4 home 2 away): 6pts from 18pts W1 D3 L2

This point from the media is fairly useless.

All it means is that once we improve against the other top 6, we will be comfortably champions. Hardly a major criticism considering we spend a fraction of what they do, and are building a stadium and have a squad laced with academy product, which we actually use as a policy.

If we are so crap compared to the others, why are we above three of them, and only two points behind one. Everyone is miles off Chelsea, so no point in using them either in this.

Or have I missed something? Do you get more points for winning away against the "big boys"?

Surely Liverpools away form against relegation fodder is a far bigger concern for so called title challengers..

Last edited:
This only has any relevance when compared directly with how the other "big 6" are also doing surely?

Also, they have taken the record back to 2014, you know when Poch first arrived. Would anyone here backed us to loose all of the big games with AVB and/or Sherwood's teams against the big 6? We were shit. Oh look, in order to make the graphic look even more shit they have chucked in CL games too, fuck me. Well, seeing as City, Utd., Chelsea & Liverpool have all missed out on CL and Liverpool & Chelsea missed out on Europe all together what is the fucking point of the inclusion other than to make the % look shit. With City and Man U also being knocked out of CL at group stage in this time period.

So, what would be relevant and interesting would be to see this record compared directly with each of the other big clubs broken down year by year, without CL inclusion. I haven't time to do that but my gut tells me that our record will be better than Utd., better than Woolwich and probably close to City. I think Chelsea's and Liverpools would be better record.

Does it even have much relevance at all? It's not a big 6 competition & every one of the so called big 6 has, & will again, come unstuck against Teams outside the top 6. It's the results over the whole of the season that is the relevant stat. I wouldn't mind having the worst record against the other top 5 teams & winning the league. Woolwich have easily the worst record against the others, but are still on the same points as us. We need to turn more draws into wins against the teams outside the top 6. That will define our season imo. We should be disappointed be drawing with Sunderland for example, when the next time out they get a 4-0 walloping against Southampton. That is a worse result than losing 2-0 at Anfield, or 1-0 at Old Trafford.

This point from the media is fairly useless.

All it means is that once we improve against the other top 6, we will be comfortably champions. Hardly a major criticism considering we spend a fraction of what they do, and are building a stadium and have a squad laced with academy product, which we actually use as a policy.

If we are so crap compared to the others, why are we above three of them, and only two points behind one. Everyone is miles off Chelsea, so no point in using them either in this.

Or have I missed something? Do you get more points for winning away against the "big boys"?
We have weaker squads compared to all 4 bar Woolwich and generally Liverpool who still have better attacking options and much more pace going forward (this is where the continuous exclusion of Nkoudou and Sissoko is truly baffling).

However we play better than the sum of our parts thanks to Poch's great work and that is our main strong point, imv

We have weaker squads compared to all 4 bar Woolwich and generally Liverpool who still have better attacking options and much more pace going forward (this is where the continuous exclusion of Nkoudou and Sissoko is truly baffling).

However we play better than the sum of our parts thanks to Poch's great work and that is our main strong point, imv

I agreed, in principle, but I dont think our squad is weaker.......its not match ready, which is due to (as you say) baffling reasons why certain players dont get a look in more often

Over the years we have had good home records some years and good away records others. Last year our away record was good but not this year. Some years we keep dropping silly points at home but not this year. Cannot explain it but it happens. Could the fact that we have played the top teams away already have something to do with it? We should have beaten Sunderland away rather than worry about losing to Liverpool where we generally never win.
Next season our home matches are at Wembley and no doubt our results will suffer. We will need a good away record to compensate

Whilst all comparisons need context our points haul against the top 5 other clubs this season is quite a factor thus far.

With 2 games left we have played 8 games and got 9 points. 12 would be reasonable and 20 plus overall more than likeky to be the determinant betweem top 4 and higher.

We will all have our thoughts on it and mine are on record but we have the collective strength most of the time of any of the teams but not in my opinion the individual who takes us into every match with the belief that we can get away with an average performance.

Of our current players I only see Alli as a likely candidate and whilst he is at times a mercurial talent I am not sure he possesees the character to do that week in and week out and certainly not at this stage.

Yeah thats true, but when you have those sides losing to Watford, Swansea, Hull etc, when we arent, its swing n roundabouts

True, it's just disheartening when you notice Liverpool and City going through horrific form, then it seems like we lose one game and they're both back above us/level.

Back
Top Bottom