Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion (Sun 21st Sep)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually disagree about *their* way, two of the most successful managers in the PL era; Mourinho and SAF have often adapted heavily to suit opposition. Look at Chelsea's 2-0 win at Anfield last season for example, and I noticed that the better Spurs got in the late 00's how SAF kept putting out more negative lineups, looking to nick a narrow win. Also look at how differently RM play when they face Barca since Pep became manager.

It's all relative really.

Be pro-active not reactive.

The Europa League being a distraction/tiring is just bullshit. Once our players are told this , they start to believe it. We've enough players to be able to balance an approach for all the competitions we're in.

And by the way, if we get back in the Champions League, we'll have to play in Europe midweek. How about viewing the Europa as an opportunity for getting disciplined and hardened to this?
No, I didn't mean the EL is why we played bad. As I said, 5 of them never travelled and two played limited time.
Last year I think the Europa League did play a part as we had to resort to playing our PL players to get results. Most played on Thursday night in some far flung corner, and then again on Sunday morning. However, this year is not comparable as he is playing two completely different sides.
What I meant was we seem to have made these new signings, the ones to sort out the defensive side of our midfield and defence, to play in the EL? Surely WBA would have been a good game to blood Fazio/Vertonghen and Stambouli? MP said 'we didn't show WBA respect". Was he talking about the players or picking Kabs and Chriches in defence would be sufficient? FFS they couldn't handle Berahino.

Actually those who qualified for the CL have more time between games. The extra day ( and sometimes days) recovery is very important. From Sept to Nov Chelsea will play a CL game on Wednesday followed by PL game Sunday and will play the next 2 CL games on Tues followed by PL game Sunday. Then a CL game Wed and PL Saturday ( which Jose will moan about) and Tuesday CL and Saturday PL.

I think we should have become disciplined and hardened to the EL already. How many seasons have we had of it?
Mark my words. If Levy did not want the gate receipts our manager would not be to bothered about it. Like he said, it destroys teams.
You go through all this b-ollocks and then 8 CL drop outs roll in for the KO stage. 4 of them are seeded just to make sure they get their 2nd legs at home.

The UEFA cup has been ruined.

The EL has had 15 finals 6 have been won by CL drop out teams. Out of those 15 finals, 11 of those have had a CL drop out team compete in it, 4 of those 11 finals have been contested solely by CL drop out teams.
Only 4 finals have had two purely EL teams compete.
The EL teams that have won it the 9 times 5 have been Spanish 2 Portuguese 1 Russian and an English.
So, by those stats a final will probably have a CL drop out team in it.
They haven't even sorted out what happens if the EL winner has already qualified for the CL. They have said that the runner up will not get the place though?? Will 5 teams from one country now be able to enter CL when it was not good enough for us ?

It's all a load of b-ollocks

You know you want to win every competition you go in for, but this EL is like flogging a dead horse.

We seem to attract players that seem to believe they have made the big time once at THFC. They become all poncie like their hair cuts. They really can't be asked.
I have decided that the one team should play every game and only rest players when they seem tired. All this changing teams is bollocks. They are fit, paid a fortune and are professionally.
You're probably right. They all rave about going to Daniel Jonhson, sorry DJ coming to them. Taking selfies of their f-ucking haircuts they paid a over a grand for by some geezer with tats in a pair of l'homme de maison w-anky poser trainers, all done with electric shears. " DJ just knows what style to give me, and I like to look by best for the game'.
FFS the whole set up at Spurs has gone celebrity. Ryan Mason doesn't play a game but gets his motor from PremierSports.
They all get paid too much and live in a bubble. Jamie tried to buy into this bubble as motor traders, phone dealers, hair stylists and trainer retailers have, by producing a magazine for these leeches to advertise in, and them to pose in. Maybe it was the reading that didn't catch on?
You just don't know the half of it.
Remember Dozzell? Well, even that c-unt was living the 'high' life while jogging around with the reserves. I bumped into him and Judas at Aquarium In '96 ( when they told me we'd just signed Scales) giving it large and doing stuff he shouldn't.
He was no longer playing for the 1st team I asked him if he was unhappy and he said 'No, I love it at here at Spurs" Of course he did!

Last edited:
No, I didn't mean the EL is why we played bad. As I said, 5 of them never travelled and two played limited time.
Last year I think the Europa League did play a part as we had to resort to playing our PL players to get results. Most played on Thursday night in some far flung corner, and then again on Sunday morning. However, this year is not comparable as he is playing two completely different sides.
What I meant was we seem to have made these new signings, the ones to sort out the defensive side of our midfield and defence, to play in the EL? Surely WBA would have been a good game to blood Fazio/Vertonghen and Stambouli? MP said 'we didn't show WBA respect". Was he talking about the players or picking Kabs and Chriches in defence would be sufficient? FFS they couldn't handle Berahino.

Actually those who qualified for the CL have more time between games. The extra day ( and sometimes days) recovery is very important. From Sept to Nov Chelsea will play a CL game on Wednesday followed by PL game Sunday and will play the next 2 CL games on Tues followed by PL game Sunday. Then a CL game Wed and PL Saturday ( which Jose will moan about) and Tuesday CL and Saturday PL.

I think we should have become disciplined and hardened to the EL already. How many seasons have we had of it?
Mark my words. If Levy did not want the gate receipts our manager would not be to bothered about it. Like he said, it destroys teams.
You go through all this b-ollocks and then 8 CL drop outs roll in for the KO stage. 4 of them are seeded just to make sure they get their 2nd legs at home.

The UEFA cup has been ruined.

The EL has had 15 finals 6 have been won by CL drop out teams. Out of those 15 finals, 11 of those have had a CL drop out team compete in it, 4 of those 11 finals have been contested solely by CL drop out teams.
Only 4 finals have had two purely EL teams compete.
The EL teams that have won it the 9 times 5 have been Spanish 2 Portuguese 1 Russian and an English.
So, by those stats a final will probably have a CL drop out team in it.
They haven't even sorted out what happens if the EL winner has already qualified for the CL. They have said that the runner up will not get the place though?? Will 5 teams from one country now be able to enter CL when it was not good enough for us ?

It's all a load of b-ollocks

You know you want to win every competition you go in for, but this EL is like flogging a dead horse.
I'd love it if the Europa was like the FA Cup - straight knockout, with just one match home or away and pens if it's a draw at full time.

Back
Top Bottom