Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion (Sun 21st Sep)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You'd have thought that we'd be used to these Sunday KO's, seeming as we have had 25 of them since last season. What could the problem be? Ade, Dembele, Vlad, Kaboul, Rose did not travel. Capoue had15 mins and Lamela 30. Only Lloris travelled and played 90.
So, the reason for these dreadful displays, maybe Saturday nights?
For the life of me I don't understand why Vertonghen is not starting in the EPL.
How many more times are we going to let this EL f-uck us up. It's not worth it. The final will either have a CL team drop out team in it, or a CL drop out team win it.
So, MP has bought Fazio, Davies and Stambouli to play in the EL. We give JV a new contract and don't play him in the EPL? How has that sorted out our defence? We are playing with the same back 4 as last year.

Pre season the team had better movement, shape, inter changing and passing with Lamela, Soldado, Lennon, Kane, Capoue and Mason.
Now we have to accommodate Chadli, Eriksen, Paulinho and Dembele. Only one of them. Pauly, finds spaces. He may be shit at shooting but at least he does when he has the chance. Lamela, well at least he tries. He tries too hard.
Sorry to single out, but has nobody realised Dembele is waste of time? Tell me what he contributes considering he is not playing as a defensive midfielder, but the box to box.
Get the ball, skip left, put you arm out, hold him off. Stop, turn and play it sideways or back. Does he ever get near the box, shoot or pass forwards. Does he ever find that killer ball? He is the most overrated player we have ever had. I see his potential, but guys, he's not going to realise it.
When you play 4231 you need attacking full backs. At present we only have one. You also need one of the 2 in front of defence to link with the front. He's the one that should be all over the place. He should be the man coming through from midfield. Going past Eriksen, linking up with Eriksen.Giving their defence headaches and drawing people out of position. It's as if he has a device installed that stops him from going 60yds forward before he has to check and pass sidewards.
As it is Adebayor stands in the middle of 4 defenders back to goal. Eriksen is isolated receiving ball to feet with his back to goal. Lamela comes in off the right leaving us less width as we have no attacking RB. It's all easy for the opposition defence. There are no surprises. It's easy for Four players to control 3 of ours and 4 defenders control Ade. Capoue, Dembele or anyone else is venturing forward.
The Europa League being a distraction/tiring is just bullshit. Once our players are told this , they start to believe it. We've enough players to be able to balance an approach for all the competitions we're in.

And by the way, if we get back in the Champions League, we'll have to play in Europe midweek. How about viewing the Europa as an opportunity for getting disciplined and hardened to this?

I've been going Spurs since the 70's and he ain't really that wrong is he? I mean has it not always been one step forward and two steps back, bad luck, decisions and false dawns. That's Spurs. Even when we did get into the promised land we done f-uck all about it.
You could not accuse me of being fair-weather and fickle. I went all home and away games when we were in the 2nd division. You'd never get many of our fans singing someones name if they missed a pen in a European final shoot out anymore, but then not many other places these days.
However, I think these current crop of players are not as great as we think they are. It's early doors but surely some should know what expected by now. I'm sick of the same old b-ollocks followed by the same old sound bytes. Learn from the mistakes and don't repeat them ffs.
Pass and Move into space. Work hard for each other and bury your chances. Concentrate for 90 mins. You could forgive the loss if you saw the passion, commitment and signs of improvement.
We will always be shit if we put up with these performances time and time again. Just look at twitter to see how f-ucking upset they are at letting the club down for the umpteenth time.
Sounds like you're old school like me. I remember the 2nd division season and although I was devastated when we got relegated, the atmosphere at matches was amazing.

We've had plenty of crap players over the years but this current crop has no charisma or energy. I think today was the day that Poch realised this.

I've been talking to my agent and he says that if Tottenham don't start matching my ambition, he can get me a contract supporting Real Madrid or Inter.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season but if we've not made Champions League, I'll be off.

At this stage in my football career, I need to be competing for the top trophies.

Top post mate, cheered me up no end.:eriksenlol:

What about that guy at half time who couldn't score an open goal from 18 yards in three attempts?

Hope he's up front against Forest.

Yeah that poor old sod, the way he trudged off in shame, give him the fucking gift card for god sake!

I felt sorry for the kids who get paraded on their first game, they have 70 more years of this....

Real Madrid wants to change their name of the stadium from “Santiago Bernabeu” to “Abu Dhabi Santiago Bernabeu” … for that the spanish team will receive …500 MILLIONS EURO…. How “da faq” is with that world ,in what world we live??? Many countries suffering from starvation…others wipe their asses with paper of money…

Real Madrid wants to change their name of the stadium from “Santiago Bernabeu” to “Abu Dhabi Santiago Bernabeu” … for that the spanish team will receive …500 MILLIONS EURO…. How “da faq” is with that world ,in what world we live??? Many countries suffering from starvation…others wipe their asses with paper of money…
You're right Dan, it's disgusting.

Our sport and our clubs have been stolen and are being sold and resold. History, tradition, identity and belonging no longer mean a thing.

We just havnt had a set of balls for awhile now. Some reason our players are just wrong. We havnt got crafters, guys with heart and appetite to win and kill off teams. Just watched ManU get pumped by Leicester who worked third socks off and chased every ball. We just don't have that in out squad. Anyway...
We seem to attract players that seem to believe they have made the big time once at THFC. They become all poncie like their hair cuts. They really can't be asked.
I have decided that the one team should play every game and only rest players when they seem tired. All this changing teams is bollocks. They are fit, paid a fortune and are professionally.

We seem to attract players that seem to believe they have made the big time once at THFC. They become all poncie like their hair cuts. They really can't be asked.
I have decided that the one team should play every game and only rest players when they seem tired. All this changing teams is bollocks. They are fit, paid a fortune and are professionally.

I don't want to use them as an example but how much rotation did Woolwich do from dortmund to villa game out of interest?

For the first time since Torres went to Chelsea I've seen a worse striker performance than the ones he put in. Whenever someone passed the ball to Ade, particularly in the first game, it was an immediate loss of the ball, no matter how precise it was. I'm not one of those people who always pour hate on Ade, but it has to be said that this game was absolutely dreadful, and he hasn't had a good one this season (not even against QPR, when the rest of the team performed). Playing with ten men and no striker would probably be better, cause then at least people wouldn't waste possession trying to set him up.

That, and too little direct movement into dangerous positions from our AMs made our game totally toothless. Lamela and Eriksen should both play, but they can't be two of three AMs. And taking Chadli off, which is the one moving into space and into the box, was a mistake, imo (and I had him captaining my fantasy team this week :().

Lloris: 6
Mostly ok, but could possibly have commanded area better on the goal.

Dier: 6
Ok defensively, did very little going forwards.

Kaboul: 7
Best game he's played for a long time. Defensive control, did a good job on defensive set pieces, had better crosses going forwards than anyone else in either team.

Chiriches: 3
Wasn't always completely horrible in his defensive work, but the way he kept giving away easy corners as if they don't matter cost us at least one point.

Rose: 6
Another decent game by Rose. Still needs to improve his crossing, but doesn't have a lot to hit in the box, usually just Chadli and a static Ade.

Capoue: 8
Our best player. Good at winning the ball, good at distributing it.

Dembele: 5
Lost the ball in dangerous position at times, trying to dribble. Wasted a good counter attack opportunity by dribbling. At times he's slow. But he also showed great ball winning skills, and that he can pass the ball quickly at times.

Eriksen: 4
Tried to make the killer balls, but usually not precise enough. Hasn't been in his best form this season, and showed that today too. Terrible set pieces.

Lamela: 6
Is trying to make stuff happens, and the more the team struggles the harder he tries. Ended up trying to hard to do stuff on his own. Good effort, but needs to get more lethal. The only one of our front four that seems to quite consistently try the high press thing. Doesn't work well as long as the others do f... all.

Chadli: 4
Took a long time to get involved. Made a few good runs into the box later in the game, but was substituted during his best period of the game.

Adebayor: 0
His score reflects his number of positive involvements. Seems like he's doing some running to get in positions to receive the ball, but is so sloppy/bad in his first touches that even though his team mates hits him with accurate passes he immediately loses it. On through balls he's too slow, on lobbed balls he's too weak. We would be better off with no striker than with Adebayor at the moment. He needs to get back to his form, or we're farked.

Paulinho: 3
Had some bad involvements, a couple of terrible passes. Makes decent runs though, into dangerous positions. Should be played as one of the starting AMs, because of his ability to run into space.

Soldado: 3
He looks like a fish out of water at times. Had our best chance though, being at the end of a Kaboul cross. Showed good movement in the box on that occassion.

Lennon: 3
Moved about, as usual. Seemed a bit more comfortable than he has lately when he got to play as a pure right midfielder. As usual, his deliveries provide nothing.
Only Chiriches was the problem today. He was so bad that I would never play him again. It disrupted the whole of the team from kick off. He was the hole that sunk the ship. I've never felt this way about a player before.

Our players are paid too much for how good they think they are.
They are too good generally to ever agree to sign for WBA and the like and most not good enough to make it to a CL club but they think they are.
Too many players wanting others to score or be given a goal.
Keep Poch for his contract - keep looking for players with more personal drive.

I don't want to use them as an example but how much rotation did Woolwich do from dortmund to villa game out of interest?

Mr S Pippo

In fact those highlighted in green started v Dortmund and those in Blue played a part. I understand that they play earlier than us on the tuesday, but they also played sat, not sunday and played opposition much better than we did mid week. Maybe we should rotate a little less rather than having two complete teams. Have one "best team" and tweak accordingly.

Line up v Villa

Szczesny
Gibbs
Koscielny

Chambers
Mertesacker
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Arteta
Cazorla
Özil
Ramsey
Welbeck

Subs

Wilshere
Podolski
Rosicky

Mr S Pippo

In fact those highlighted in green started v Dortmund and those in Blue played a part. I understand that they play earlier than us on the tuesday, but they also played sat, not sunday and played opposition much better than we did mid week. Maybe we should rotate a little less rather than having two complete teams. Have one "best team" and tweak accordingly.

Line up v Villa

Szczesny
Gibbs
Koscielny

Chambers
Mertesacker
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Arteta
Cazorla
Özil
Ramsey
Welbeck

Subs

Wilshere
Podolski
Rosicky
That's how it was done years ago. Players that were keen wanted to play every game. That's when men were men and chairman were faceless.

Back
Top Bottom