Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion (Sun 21st Sep)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A8368_zps88f0915e.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur host West Bromwich Albion at White Hart Lane on Sunday 21st September 2014 (KO 13:30) in the 5th round of Premier League matches of the 2014-15 season.

Spurs come into the match in 6th place in the table on 7 points with Albion in 19th place on 2 points. This will be the 144th meeting between the two clubs.

Albion were one of the 12 original members of the Football League in 1888 and the first meeting with Spurs, who were then in the Southern League, came in the 1900-01 FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park which Spurs won 4-0 on their way to becoming FA Cup Winners that season.

The teams were drawn together again two seasons later in the first round (today's third round) of the FA Cup and played a 0-0 draw at White Hart Lane before Spurs won the replay at the Hawthorns 2-0.

Tottenham Hotspur joined the Football League in 1908 and lost both Second Division matches to Albion that season 0-3 away and 1-3 at home.
Despite those two defeats, Spurs won promotion to the First Division and Albion joined them for the 1911-12 season. Spurs won the first Top Flight match in September 1-0 at the Lane but the reverse fixture in January was abandoned due to fog. Albion won the re-arranged fixture in March 1912 2-0.

Sandwiched inbetween those League meetings, Albion won a 1st Round FA Cup tie 3-0 in January 1912.

Both clubs continued to meet in Division One for the next three seasons until World War One.

The 1920 Charity Shield was contested between Spurs and Albion at White Hart Lane and the Baggies won 2-0.

From 1921 to 1927, the clubs met regularly in the First Division . They then met for three seasons in Division Two from 1928 to 1931 before regaining their Top Flight status from 1933 to 1935.

The clubs were in the Second Division for the 1938-39 season and Spurs won 4-3 at White Hart Lane in the last match before the outbreak of World War Two in September 1939. The season was abandoned with most clubs having played three matches.

Spurs and Albion met twice during the War in the Football League South resulting in a win apiece.

When League Football resumed after WW2, both clubs were in the Second Division and Spurs won the League in 1949-50 with Albion finishing Runners-Up.

The 1950-51 season saw both clubs back in Division One and Spurs did the "double" over Albion, winning 2-1 at the Hawthorns and 5-0 at the Lane, on the way to Tottenham Hotspur's first Top Flight League Championship.

Every League meeting between the two clubs since 1950-51 has taken place in the Top Flight.

The first Football League Cup meeting came in October 1970 with Spurs winning 5-0 with a hat-trick from Martin Peters and a brace from Alan Gilzean. There have been four meetings in the competition to date with Spurs winning three games and one match drawn.

Tottenham Hotspur were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93 and are one of seven ever-present clubs in the competition.
West Bromwich Albion were promoted to the Premier League for the 2002-03 season and this is their eighth season.

Spurs won both matches in 2002-03 with goals from Christian Ziege, Robbie Keane and Gus Poyet securing a 3-1 win at the Lane while a brace from Keane and a Teddy Sheringham goal saw Spurs win 3-2 at the Hawthorns.

Both matches in the 2004-05 season ended in 1-1 draws, Jermain Defoe scoring away and Keane scoring at home. The clubs also met in the FA Cup fourth round that season with a 1-1 draw at the Hawthornes followed by a 3-1 win at White Hart Lane.

Honours were even in 2005-06 with Albion winning 2-0 at the Hawthorns and Spurs winning 2-1 at the Lane. The 2008-09 season saw similar results with Albion winning 2-0 at the Hawthorns and Spurs winning 1-0 at the Lane.

The 2010-11 game at the Hawthorns in September 2010 resulted in a 1-1 draw. Luka Modric scored Spurs' goal only for Chris Brunt to equalise in the 41st minute.

The reverse fixture at the Lane in April 2011 resulted in a 2-2 draw. Peter Odemwingie put West Brom ahead after 5 minutes but goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko and Jermain Defoe put Spurs ahead. Simon Cox scored the late equaliser.

The 2011-12 game at the Hawthorns in November resulted in a 3-1 win for Spurs. Youssouf Mulumbu's header put the Baggies ahead after 10 minutes but Emmanuel Adebayor equalised 15 minutes later and the teams went into the halftime break level at 1-1. Second half goals from Jermain Defoe 9 minutes from time and a second Adebayor goal deep into stoppage time gave Spurs the three points, even if the score was somewhat flattering in a hard-fought match. Jermain Defoe scored a goal in the 63rd minute at White Hart Lane to give Spurs the Double over West Brom.

The 2012-13 fixture in August at White Hart Lane resulted in a 1-1 draw with full-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto putting Spurs ahead after 74 minutes with a deflected long range shot before James Morrison scored a 90th minute equaliser for the Baggies. Tottenham beat the Baggies at the Hawthorns in February 2013 with Gareth Bale scoring the winner with a stunning 67th minute goal.

The 2013 Boxing Day game at the Lane ended in a 1-1 draw. Christian Eriksen put Spurs ahead after 36 minutes but Jonas Olsson equalised just two minutes later. The reverse fixture in April 2014 finished 3-3 after the Baggies had gone three goals ahead through Matej Vydra, Chris Brunt & Stephane Sessegnon. Jonas Olsson's own goal before half-time put Spurs back in the game and Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen secured a point.

Overall, matches played between the two clubs are slightly in Tottenham's favour with 57 wins to Albion's 54 and the remaining 32 of the 143 matches played so far ending in draws.

Ossie Ardiles (Spurs player, manager at both clubs)
Gerry Armstrong
Vic Buckingham (Spurs player, WBA manager)
Keith Burkinshaw (Manager at both clubs)
Jesse Carver (Spurs coach, WBA manager)
Freddie Cox (also WBA assistant manager & coach)
Garth Crooks
Wilf Dixon (Spurs asst manager, WBA trainer)
Tom Evans
Ruel Fox
Márton Fülöp

John Gorman (Spurs player & asst manager at both clubs)
Charlie Hewitt
Martin Jol (WBA player, Spurs manager)
Colin Lyman
Tony Parks (Spurs player & goalkeeper coach with both clubs)
Graham Roberts
Arthur Rowe (Spurs player & manager, WBA chief scout)
Danny Thomas (Spurs player, WBA physio)
Steve Walford

I am flying back home Friday and will be at this game, I have only come back and gone to away games since seeing us caned by Chelsea while Bale was at birth of his kid, and the atmosphere in J block was a ghost of what it used to be!

Will be sat in one of the last bastions of atmosphere - Park Lane Block 34 row 16, give me a shout if you are sat nearby and want to say hello!

3-0 win this one

Flying down for this and Forest in the league cup (Park lane lower block 33). any good pubs for pre-game or where 1882 people gather (be nice to grab a pint with some more vocal supporters)?

This is just the sort of match we need to get the team even more cohesive and bang in a few goals.

7-0 and that's an honest prediction. WBA are utter shite.

Lloris
Dier - Fazio - Vertonghen - Rose
Capoue - Dembele
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Soldado if fit, if not Adebayor.

Think Soldado deserves a run out, Ade has looked jaded as fuck or at least to me.
I thought Ade has been decent and only looked tired towards the end of the Sunderland match. He's been moving around the midfield and forward areas of the pitch quite actively, sometimes to the extent that I'm worried we've no target in the box. I've no issues with Soldado starting, to get his confidence and match fitness up, but it wouldn't be on account of poor work by Ade.

Would like to see Fazio start and Stambouli as well. Dembele looked good so maybe it's time to see what he's like with Stambouli in the middle 2. Poch knows what he'll get from a Capoue and Bentaleb parternship by know. I think we can bang more than a couple of goals in this one and close it up pretty quickly.

Lloris
Naughton - Fazio - Vertonghen - Rose
Stambouli - Dembele
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Adebayor

Perhaps not vs this opposition, but in general If you put Fazio in with Rose and Naughton as wingbavks for cover, Faz will suffer the form issues of Jan, Daws, Kab and Vlad.

Our flanks are making whoever we put at CB look like mugs. It will just be another fail spiral if we persist inviting attackers down our wings with little or no resistance. Whoever you put there at cb, no matter how good, they will get overwhelmed with that "help".

IMO Dier and Davies should be given new roles. Plain and simple left and right backs. Defenders. But I would pref Dier be a cb long term.

I don't want to destroy another promising CB with the derp of Rose and Naughton.

Last edited:
Perhaps not vs this opposition, but in general If you put Fazio in with Rose and Naughton as wingbavks for cover, Faz will suffer the form issues of Jan, Daws, Kab and Vlad.

Our flanks are making whoever we put at CB look like mugs. It will just be another fail spiral if we persist inviting attackers down our wings with little or no resistance. Whoever you put there at cb, no matter how good, they will get overwhelmed with that "help".

IMO Dier and Davies should be given new roles. Plain and simple left and right backs. Defenders. But I would pref Dier be a cb long term.

I don't want to destroy another promising CB with the derp of Rose and Naughton.
Reason I chose Naughton was to rest Dier, he has been the one getting mugged in the last 2 games (Johnson/Liverpool onslaught).
As you stated, he is a CB, dream 1st and 2nd game, but really think he needs to sit one out (not all).
I don't really see Naughton as a wing back either, he is fairly controlled (similar to Davies) just not as flat as Dier.

Back
Top Bottom